PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• Claresey1
    Options
    Hi all, wondering if you could give me a wee bit of advice :)

I received this letter from Bank of Scotland this morning. Historically, I had a credit card with them years ago which, honestly, I've no idea if I had PPI on it. I did receive the forms to fill in but didn't do it as they were huge and it put me off. Terrible I know.
    Anyway, I've no idea if the letter is legit or not but I'll type out the wording.

Dear Mrs French,
    I'm contacting you about your PPI policy.
    We sent you a check for ££££ on 9/1/19 in order to resolve an error with our original calculation. However, as the cheque was written more than 6 months ago it has now been cancelled. You will not be able to pay this into your account.
    We are now making arrangements for a replacement cheque to be sent to your home address within 28 days. The cheque will only be valid for 6 months from the date of issue s and will need to be paid into your account within this time.
    Please remember, we cancelled the original cheque displaying cheque number 196298 . This should be destroyed and you should not try to pay this into your account.
    To help identify the correct cheque to destroy, I can confirm it would have been followed by a letter dated 20 December 2017 (??!). If you didn't receive our earlier letter, please contact us on the number above and we'll arrange for a copy to be reissued.

Then there's a whole bit about contact numbers which are legit and ombudsman details too.

I'm so confused. Thought id ask the forum before I made an a@@ of myself. It all smells a bit fishy...

Sorry for the huge post and thanks in advance :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Give them a call.
  • Joby_Fox
    Options
    My instincts are the same as yours- it smells fishy. If you haven't submitted a claim why would Bank of Scotland have sent you a cheque? Note also the letter uses the US spelling of cheque (check) which surely BoS would not do. I strongly advise not contacting any number or address given in the letter. Best look up BoS's published contact details and speak to them, to satisfy yourself that they did not send it.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joby_Fox wrote: »
    My instincts are the same as yours- it smells fishy. If you haven't submitted a claim why would Bank of Scotland have sent you a cheque? Note also the letter uses the US spelling of cheque (check) which surely BoS would not do. I strongly advise not contacting any number or address given in the letter. Best look up BoS's published contact details and speak to them, to satisfy yourself that they did not send it.

I think OP typed that up as the correct use of 'cheque' is used later on
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Would agree with Joby Fox give em a call to a number from their official website - never trust numbers in letters that you suspect
  • Claresey1
    Options
    Thanks guys. I received a cheque this morning..looking back I did sign something. Phoned the bank on the correct number to ensure it was legit.....it is. I'm in shock. £25427.32.
  • marmitelovemehateme
    Options
    I have read about PPI and how to claim back...But, I am still none the wiser how to do this myself...I have absolutely no idea whether I have ever had PPI. I have had mortgages and bank and car loans. Just do not have any paperwork.

Can someone give me an idiots guide where to start. It all seems so daunting and probably easier to get one of the PPI claim firms to do it. Any thoughts please.
    [STRIKE]68 [STRIKE]Mouses[/STRIKE] [/STRIKE]

OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have read about PPI and how to claim back...But, I am still none the wiser how to do this myself...I have absolutely no idea whether I have ever had PPI. I have had mortgages and bank and car loans. Just do not have any paperwork.

Can someone give me an idiots guide where to start. It all seems so daunting and probably easier to get one of the PPI claim firms to do it. Any thoughts please.

Follow the MSE guide

All you do is write to the lender, confirm you had PPI, explain why you feel it was miss-sold and provide evidence that supports that.

All a claim firm does is make you do all the above but they post the letter for you
  • Avellis
    Options
    Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help?
    I contacted Santander last year to see if they could check for any potential PPI claim.
    I have been with them since it was Abbey National, then Abbey, and now Santander.
    They told me they haven't kept any records from before they were Santander?
    What now?
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Now nothing, if neither you nor they have records.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback