Alexa can affect home insurance!

It' not happened yet but if you have an Amazon Alexa or Apple Siri device in your home, it will one day affect your insurance.

Why, well they both listen and record and analyse every word said in your house. Now imagine a hacker gains access to those records or Alexa directly it won't be that hard to know your daily routine, when your holiday's are going to be, when you're away for along weekend and so on. Then hook Alexa up to your security system and any good hacker ( a normal six year old for example) will be able to deactivate it. Then if you have a smart lock (these are being touted now) the hacker can be in without any effort - bang goes your contents insurance!

Think this will never happen, just look at how high end luxury cars are being stolen with cloning devices available from, yes that's right Amazon!

Good luck folks, sleep tight!

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    You have plumbed new depths in your scaremongering.

I am left almost speechless at the ridiculousness of this post.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am left almost speechless at the ridiculousness of this post.

From capital0ne?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Interesting and would be a security concern, but I doubt any Insurers have thought about this in the UK.

A discussion on internet security is for another forum page.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'll get my tin foil hat out.
  • I!!!8217;ve destroyed all my electronic devices, you cannot be too sure!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    capital0ne wrote: »
    It' not happened yet but if you have an Amazon Alexa or Apple Siri device in your home, it will one day affect your insurance.

Why, well they both listen and record and analyse every word said in your house. Now imagine a hacker gains access to those records or Alexa directly it won't be that hard to know your daily routine, when your holiday's are going to be, when you're away for along weekend and so on. Then hook Alexa up to your security system and any good hacker ( a normal six year old for example) will be able to deactivate it. Then if you have a smart lock (these are being touted now) the hacker can be in without any effort - bang goes your contents insurance!

Think this will never happen, just look at how high end luxury cars are being stolen with cloning devices available from, yes that's right Amazon!

Good luck folks, sleep tight!

So nice to be safe with Google Home devices then..............
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2018 at 8:39AM
    huckster wrote: »
    Interesting and would be a security concern, but I doubt any Insurers have thought about this in the UK.
    You can be sure they have thought about it, but I'd be surprised if any have got beyond "wait and see what happens" yet.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,813 Forumite
    Zorillo wrote: »
    You can be sure they have thought about it, but I'd be surprised if any have got beyond "wait and see what happens" yet.

Insurance companies have too many other things to worry about.

CapitalOne is correct that wifi networks are being hacked and the more devices you have connected the greater the risk. Which is why you can buy wifi network hardware/software that will protect all devices in the network.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    From capital0ne?

Yes. As I said, this one plumbs new depths.
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm stunned by the ignorance of the average person, this is very real threat, so best of luck once you've fully automated your home and made it just one IOT object - it won't take long for insurance companies to latch on to this and your insurance will skyrocket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure