PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    In for £300 again this month please
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    I know I'm in for £300 again this month..
    Spent 90.37 so far in Lidels and Mr A's..
    Cupboards, freezer and fridge are FULL!
    Will be getting creative in regards to menus and meals..
    Good luck all for May :j
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I need to rejoin if I may. Things have been a little hectic and different this year but now hopefully all that is all behind me and I need to start budgeting again.

Can you put me down for £150 for this month. It will be a challenge to stay under this amount but I aim to try.
  • AsherBat
    AsherBat Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I've stocked up on rice, noodles, pasta etc today plus bought a bunch of veg which should last a while. Spent £24.85 of my 80 quid. Roasting leftover veg from last week now (courgettes, red onions and cherry toms) which I'll freeze so I can add to risotto/paella/pasta to make quick meals. Also prepping ahead 800g (equivelant of 2 blocks) of roasted tofu which will last the week and about 20 falafels which I'll put in the freezer too.
    May Grocery Challenge (30/04/18-30/05/18)
    Spent: 24.85/80.00
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Its going to be a £300 target for me please. Several birthdays to pay for this month so its going to take a lot of planning.

DH decided to buy a take away on Friday and then Saturday I made a macaroni cheese from cupboard ingredients but bought bread and eggs at Moggisons. Sunday would have been an NSD but we decided to have a MaccyD's, first one for a very long time. Today was a quick trip to Ald1's for some mince and bits to make a chilli.

Current Totals: £32.75/300
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 April 2018 at 9:43PM
    Options
    Three NSDs in a row here, which feels rather like getting off to a good start! But I will need to hare off & restock at L!dls tomorrow, and the farm shop, not to mention doing a couple of online bulk orders; I'm beginning to think I should separate out the pet & livestock food & keep a different tally for those, as I do for my bulk orders of flour, oats and the health foods that we get through a lot of. Up to date, I've included cat food in the "bulk-buy" purse as I buy it online, and chicken & cockatiel food in with groceries as I just pick those up at the farm shop, but I'd be hard put to tell you exactly what they're costing us. I should be able to go back through my orders, work out what I have spent so far, & what I'll need to spend in future, the household having expanded by 2 kittens and 3 bantam chicks!

ETA: I seem to have made some kind of mistake... on going back through my order history for the year, it would appear that I haven't spent as much on bulk buys as I thought...? I've either added a transaction in twice, or accidentally put a large "normal" grocery bill in there. So I will separate the animal food out now, and reduce the bulk-buy target & running total accordingly.

And ETA again: On reflection, the mistake looks very much like a simple maths error; it's £100 less than the previous totals!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Tales17
    Tales17 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    £600 again for me this month please!

Will update the April thread with final totals in next couple of days x
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    £63.12/£100 already! It sounds awful, but £40 of that is farm shop freezer meat, so it should keep me going for a while (and I might halve that with my rollover/bulk fund if I'm tight). And short of one aubergine, hopefully I'm good until mid month (got the last one in the shop, but needed two!!)
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • turtlemonkey
    turtlemonkey Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this, but would love to join the grocery challenge with a monthly budget of £110, please. Hopefully I should be able to come in lower than that, as I stocked up a little at Aldi in April. :)
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A few spends to report already :o

£1.38 for mini chocolate eggs I actually picked up in April ready for baking with youngsters on holiday

1st May

Icel@nd - £3
    Bag of chicken nuggets. That's my work day lunches sorted for a couple of weeks.

A!di - 87p
    Went in to pick up some white rolls as I'm planning on burgers and wedges for tea tomorrow (burgers and wedges are freezer stock). They had 3 packets of 4 on 50% off, so I picked them all up. On the basis I have burgers one day a week while at home (and one of those is a day I'm also feeding OH) I need 10 rolls for the month. Seemed silly not to get them all while I could get reduced and have freezer space to store them ;)

Her0n - 22p
    Nipped in to check reductions, and they had a pack of Haslet slices at 75% off. So I had that with the 2 spare white rolls (and some marrow chutney from my cupboards) for my lunch :)

Spends stand at £5.47 / £120
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family