Contactless not wanted on credit cards

Options

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you sign up for a Revolut account and order the card by this Sunday, the card is free (usually £5). Contactless can be switched on/off in the app (also online, swipe or ATM use).

https://revolut.com/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Why not use it ? It can save time at the checkouts.

Line your wallet in foil if you like or buy an RFID wallet.

Use cash or a top up card and only put a small amount on it.

they can use some of the tin foil from their hat ;)
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations for credit cards that do not have contactless payment methods, or an account where you can have it disabled?

HSBC credit cards don't have contactless.

NatWest issued a card without contactless facility when I asked at the account opening (in person, when dropped by to present an ID).
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I was in a shop yesterday - the lady in front of me presented a £20 note for an item if £1.

I bought an item for £21 - and offered my card. "Contactless ?" she said - "Yes".

I had paid and was out of the shop while the previous customer was still putting her change away.

If you were a shop owner which customer would you prefer ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    My Marbles card doesn't have contactless. Nor my TSB basic visa debit card. It's a pain and I tend to just use them for online shopping.

Barclaycard has several contactless options, so I tend to use that in the shops.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    My M&S Credit card doesn't have contactless (although I wish it did, it's so convenient). I got it last year, not sure if it has since changed.

Strangely it does support Android Pay, so same thing really, just phone used for payment not card directly.

Nothing is 100% secure however I prefer using digital wallet services such as Apple/Google Pay etc for the simple fact if a system is hacked the tokenised number generated each time is worthless to any would-be fraudsters.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • 2ilent8cho
    Options
    My Aqua card i got late last year is not contactless, but i wish it was!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,037 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    I was in a shop yesterday - the lady in front of me presented a £20 note for an item if £1.

I bought an item for £21 - and offered my card. "Contactless ?" she said - "Yes".

I had paid and was out of the shop while the previous customer was still putting her change away.

If you were a shop owner which customer would you prefer ?
    The one paying by cash, as I'd be paying my card acquirer a slice of that £21, and there is a chance that the transaction could be charged back for a variety of reasons and even if this was done without justification and could be challenged, it would be a hassle. :)

Although yes, I do know that cash handling isn't a completely free option either....
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AllieKat wrote: »
    If your concern is security, modern (EMV) contactless is incredibly secure. And if any fraud did occur you aren't liable.

Do not do anything to damage your card. If you do it technically voids the card and it also looks very suspicious.
    So everyone who breaks their card by sitting on it could have the card provider says its now void?
    It depends how you alter it - people used hole punches, so makes it look like a key fob, put a keyring in it and a key on that and it will look "by design". Take the corner off and it will look a bit like the Mint CC
    MINT-PPI.gif

:rotfl:
  • AllieKat
    AllieKat Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    The tokenised account number is generated only when you first add the card, it doesn't change each time.

The transaction cryptogram is what changes each time and the physical card has that too to prevent someone copying the card. It's a myth mostly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure