Cherry takes the reins

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,000 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Update for 22/4/17:

NSD and went for a run. :)

I've been going through this diary, both lots of online banking and our probate file to track down what the estate owes us. So far it's something over £1,200! Now that I'm in a position to start paying things that are owed I'll get DH to have a check through, I'll settle the mahoosive leccy bill and I'll email my sister with a copy of the spreadsheet. Then I might just pay us back what we've spent, and later spends can go through the Executors' Account. Well, they can when I can find the card for it :eek: I put it in a safe place. However DH has one too as he's also an Executor & signatory, so all is not lost.

BTW I haven't suddenly developed an ability to do spreadsheets. DH set it up for me and we still have to get one of the DSes to put a formula in. I remember a kind person on here offered to do me an Idiot's Guide: maybe I need to take them up on it.

It's going to be a busy few days: work tomorrow and Monday, then Tuesday is that frenetic thing, a regular day off and from Weds to Fri I'm hoping to do more on Mum's house.

MS stuff:
    re-reading my diary is giving me a fresh burst of enthusiasm
    Put my name down for an extra shift tomorrow
    Found the percentage paid by the savings account I'm considering and yes, it's better than we're on at present so now I need to choose the time to speak to DH, as it's joint money we're talking about.
    Free cake at work courtesy of the birthday girl :) (Extra good as I left the house in a hurry and didn't take much food).
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    There's going to be a rail strike on Friday... that might just scupper my plans to have another cleaning/clearing session at Mum's old house. I was going to brave the colder weather, lack of heating and slightly uphill slog, but the possibility of not getting back in time for my Friday afternoon shift is another matter.

What to do?

• Cherryfudge
    So it's looking as though my plans for the next few days will have to change and I'm going to make the most of it.

Last 2 days have been NSDs, though no exercise either. I ought to add that my job means I'm reasonably active so I have a slight unfair disadvantage, but that's no excuse for not looking after myself (though sometimes it's a reason).

I've removed the food/housekeeping budget from my signature for the remainder of the month as those two internet shops threw it all into such confusion and I never caught up. My sister has paid me her share and the store cupboard at Mum's old house is now stocked for a while, so I'm going to draw a line under it and start again. For this week I'm having my usual £40 budget and I'll try to be accountable here.

Yesterday I cleaned and inventoried the freezer big time so I'm making a chicken casserole tonight as I attempt to use up older stuff. I also hope to do the fridge in depth today. That's MS because I want to use stuff not chuck it or buy double through not knowing what I have in.

I also need to check my work emails because I've finally sent off to register for the pensions part of the work website. Maybe then I can find the pone number to enquire about pension overpayment!

• Cherryfudge
    Today has been both an NSD and a run day. :)

MS stuff:
    free coffee and cake this afternoon
    used up some freezer and fridge contents for dinner
    rescued my hanging basket and brought it in out of this wintery weather
    more onion bases saved (planted those of the others that hadn't gone yucky through neglect)

I seem to be doing a great job of losing stuff. Sadly there are too many piles of papers and things get shifted... fellow clutter bugs will sympathise. I have had to do a small amount of decluttering as it turns out I created a number when I registered for the credit card which I now need to use (hence NSD!:rotfl:). The number is likely to be in my finance notebook, which has been Put Somewhere. Cue search. Unsuccessful but I did find Mum's old purse in which there's some money to be paid into the Executor's Account.

No reply from Pensions Dept...

I also found some bluet@ck, which is like gold dust at work. Wonder if I should put it up for auction and make my fortune?

That reminds me, I have 3bay feedback to leave and stuff still to post for sale. The difficulty with posting it is that my rota means I'm rarely available at the same time each week, and times when I am around are not peak times for sales. Need to look at the diary... Thursday night is looking reasonable. Or if I did a ten-day listing it would hit the Bank Holiday traffic, supposing everyone's decided it's too cold to go out on BH and they are all going to surf 3bay instead...

Oh, and I have decided I am, after all, a rebel. I found the papers we were sent last time our interest rate changed. They come with a special instruction to keep the notice. Well hang on, that was months ago and it's all on line and I never really read it in the first place... it's gone. :rotfl: What a naughty person I am - or a practical one. Still a clutterbug but a little less of one.

• Cherryfudge
    Found the email from the Pensions Department (had sent it to my private email as I'd requested - yet another admin lapse traceable to very late night working).

My pensions documents make interesting reading, like many people I won't be retiring young if I get any option! However, I did notice that the two increases in hours I had in my first couple of years in my present post aren't reflected in the records. Previous employment also seems only to refer to one of two contracts I had, though I think it was the more substantial one. No point in ringing them at this time of night but I need to go back in with pen and paper sometime soon, try to understand it better and make a list of questions. I've also neglected to nominate DH to receive the death payment if I predecease him so I'd better do that too.

• Cherryfudge
    3bay feedback is fed back and I've made a start with my listings. They've made it easier since I used to sell stuff, and it looks like 20 free listings are now allowed per month. That's a very useful (and probably too high a) target to aim for. It would fuel the decluttering and mortgage overpayments at one and the same time.

DH has agreed to the new savings account so that's one to set up.

I've christened my credit card so when I've done this I'm going to see if I can work out how to pay it back! Think I know what to do and I don't want spends hanging over me any more than I have to.

This morning was a first aid course which I never enjoy: I'm too squeamish. I think I rather rewarded myself by buying lots of groceries, especially fruit & veg which were getting a bit low. Dinner was chick pea curry which went down well and I added some chicken left over from Sunday for the meat eaters.

No progress on the pension - but the day has been fairly fully occupied and I have tomorrow off.

I've given the okay to the house insurance - hefty but not nearly as bad as the old one. There will be an overlap because the offer runs out on Saturday but I'm hopefully that there is now only one really big payment left. Oh, and I was able to pay for the whole 12 months in one go, which saves us the charges for DDs. It will mean I have a serious investigation into replacing 2 exterior doors to comply with the insurance requirements but both of them are looking worse for wear so it's worth doing. Shame heavy doors are so costly!

I've also paid in a cheque and some cash to Mum's estate which will offset the insurance. Good to have those out of the way!

MS stuff:
    • Chick pea curry
    • It pays to be tactful: I've saved myself overpaying the lady who looks after the house for us
    • Passed the MoneyTips item about an entry pass for lots of gardens, on to various friends. Now to see if I can get the 3 issues for the price of one plus 5p, which I've seen on their website. Then all I have to do is remember to cancel towards the end of the 3 months... :o

Spends:
    Toiletries 0.80
    Housekeeping 20.46/40.00

• Cherryfudge
    It's a bit of a grey day at he moment and I am noticeably not using my time off to best advantage, so am posting and have updated my signature to keep myself accountable.

Provided I can avoid spending for the rest of today, I'll have 10 out of 10 NSDs this month. :)
    I've also been for a run, making 10/15 exercise days. I'm not going to hit that target am I?! I'll do what I can and see if I can beat it next month.

I need to havea look in the freezer for tonight's tea - there are some anonymous items in batter that need to be used up so tea should be interesting if nothing else!

I also want to list a few more bits on 3Bay... there is just so much clutter around! I just came across a bag that a friend gave me a few years ago. It's hand crocheted by the look of it, and absolutely gorgeous colours but I don't think I've used it even once as the colours are wrong for me. Then underneath it is another bag from the same friend, similarly unused! This morning I wandered into the magazines section of 3bay - and out again as it directed me to the less salubrious ones! - and in again on gardening and crafts. Now I'm wondering about getting rid of some very old ones that keep reappearing around the house. They might be treasure for someone or they might not.

The first of my listings go up tonight.

The pension stuff is still waiting to be looked at. I'll need a pen and paper... I could also apply for the new savings account. So why do I feel more in the mood to play games on the computer?

I may be back with more later, see how it goes.

• Cherryfudge
    Well that turned into rather a full afternoon and evening! I have 11 items on 3bay now, having discovered the fun I can have with my phone and laptop talking to each other (normally they stare at the floor and scuff their shoes and play dumb but with 3bay as an intermediary I can take photos with the one and write listings with the other and upload the whole lot together. Wow)!

3bay is quite the seller itself - it would have be believe I've about £95 worth of stuff up there but of course that's only £95 if someone wants to buy. I've put mostly brand new items up which were things from Mum's house that were still in their original packets, so I've asked higher prices than I would normally. I've also added a few 99p items in the hope of getting them out of the house. I used to be quite a good seller though only on a small scale and I haven't done any for years so we'll have to wait and see what happens. I do remember someone on these forums saying that people will buy almost anything - maybe I ought to test that! :D

As mentioned above, I've managed an NSD today, hooray! I did pay off the bit I spent on my credit card the other day but I'd already counted that as a spend.

Nothing done on pension, and got as far as downloading a PDF about the possible new savings account before deciding 24 pages is a bit much this time of night.

MS stuff:
    Dinner out of the freezer - the unlabelled battered objects turned out to be fish and they weren't too bad with home made potato wedges and veg.
    Listed those 11 items on 3bay.
    Going to make a meal to take to work tomorrow, in a minute.

Tomorrow will be a bit spendy as I'm meeting a friend for coffee then meeting DH for lunch in town. I know that's not MS but he likes lunch out and he deserves a break.

• Cherryfudge
    And what a nice day today has been!

Firstly I had coffee with a friend... okay, coffee and cake. £9.50 I think (my turn to treat).

Then DH and I had a scrumptious lunch in town. He paid but I put a £ in the basket for tips. I also photographed my meal and the menu details because I think I could recreate it and it was absolutely delicious (as was the company ;) ).

On the way home I bought the Gardener's World magazine which has the voucher for buy-one-get-one-free for various gardens. I also bought a magazine that I particularly like and buy most months (and now share with DD, and she says it's been round most of her colleagues! ;) ). This after telling my friend this morning that I avoid buying magazines because I can't get rid of them. :rotfl: Know thyself...? :eek:

After that it was a quick visit to a couple more shops for items on my list and some fruit tea which wasn't on the list but was only 75p, then work which went okay.

I've been looking (not for the first time) at the leaflet that comes with my magazine and offers an introductory rate and an 18% saving on further issues. As I probably buy 10 out of 12 issues a year and I can afford it as things stand, maybe that would be a good thing to subscribe to? Yes, I would gradually get more magazines (and I look back on them, I'm not tough enough am I?) but I think that's going to happen anyway. apart from the treat element, it's a treat for DD too (and her work colleagues by the sound of it) and it's vaguely connected to my job - so while I could cope without it if I need to, it's actually MS to be proactive and sign up sooner rather than later.

That's my excuse, anyway. :o;)

No interest in my 3baying yet but I remember nothing usually happens till the last day of the listing.

No progress on my pension but - and I can't remember if I mentioned this before? - I saw a genius idea on these boards a few days ago. Someone said that when they get a pay increase, they use it to overpay their pension. How cool is that? Given that currently my only debt is the mortgage and at the moment we have a surplus of income; and my pension forecast is, to the best of my understanding, pretty dire; that really makes good sense. I get an increment this year and will be due a 1% pay increase.

MS stuff:
    Got the voucher to get cheaper days out in gardens
    Bought supermarket bath oil not leading brand.
    Doubled back to get sponge scourers and hayfever tablets in cheaper shop
    Bought DS2 his favoured toothpaste on offer

Spends:
    Coffees / cakes / tip 10.50
    Magazines 8.15
    Medical 2.30
    Toiletries 1.75
    Housekeeping 7.05

Housekeeping this week 27.51/40.00

• Cherryfudge
    Happy to say my pay has now gone into H account automatically rather than me having to transfer it manually. This means that if I lose my internet access or log in details, the mortgage will still get paid!

I've also made an April overpayment of £145.53. :) I'm not going on the overpayment calculator right now to see what difference that will make to the term of the mortgage, but it's £145.53 they can't charge interest on and at 3.74% that's £5.44 in my pocket this year that I wouldn't have had otherwise... though of course it's also £145.53 less in my pocket.

No wonder I failed Maths.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport