Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi exvoperson,

Just wanted to let you know that we have been allowed to file a relevant valid appeal off the back of a tribunal for three bed houses for two bed houses. They are on the same estate, and were built at the same time. When thinking in terms of relevance (under the current rules, as opposed to once you've pushed the envelope) it strikes me as useful to think of all close relationships, whether it is a similar build period, similar size, number of bedrooms, same developer or whatever.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Zebedeee
    Zebedeee Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with you there, vivatifosi. I think any relevence counts. I'm sure I've read somewhere, although I can't remember where, that as long as you think it is relevent then it is. Obviously you'd have to have reasons for your supposition, you can't just say, "Because I say so"!

I used a house in a different part of town, but in a simillar setting. It had 4 bedrooms and mine is 3, but they seemed comparable to me. The other house, although 4 beds was rebanded from D to C, which was what I was seeking. The VTS accepted the comparison and my tribunal was a success.
  • ARW5
    ARW5 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    My wifes mother died in April 2001 and it's only now that the council have decided to bill us for her still empty property, the period then to now which comes to a stupid figure, the pair of us haven't got ! My feeling is that this has to be unlawful in some way, like there might be a statute of limitations so they can only go back so far, appreciate anyones advice on that ?

Regards

Andrew
  • vivatifosi
    Options
    Hi ARW5,

Can I please ask you to repost this as a new thread on he tax board but not under this thread? This area is specifically for lowering your tax band and so we aren't necessarily knowledgeable about your specific type of question.

However there are people who will lurk on the cutting tax board to answer just your specific type of question and who will probably have just the kind of knowledge you need.

Good luck!
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • admsroy
    admsroy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    [
    quote=admsroy;8466215]:mad: I first appealed against my Banding in January 2007 and since then at least 30 letters have been sent and received. I appealed several times , went to Tribunal--rejected, then my MP sent it to the Ombudsman--rejected, but I gave proof of maladministration of the LO and it is now back with the Ombudsman. Even though I gave Visual(Aerial) evidence and proof of my bungalow's low market value, I am having this hassle because the LO refuses to give me a personal visit which had been offered to my neighbour who was granted a reduction. I have continued to pay my Council Tax, but unless I get a personal visit, I will be paying a lower banding rate from April as a protest. I am 74 yrs old, but as I was involved with Rating valuation in the 1950's, I know that my Banding is wrong. I will not give up the fight.
    Roy:mad:[/quote] After 18 months non-stop trying, I have finally had my Banding reduced. This was finally achieved after I demanded that a VOA officer grant me a Personal visit. I think this must be some sort of record for perseverance and bloody-mindedness and I urge anyone who has good grounds for a reduction, to keep trying until you wear them down.
  • Zebedeee
    Zebedeee Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Wow admsroy! I'm so pleased that you won through in the end. It is quite disgraceful that the VOA didn't come to see you sooner. I don't understand why they are allowed to behave in the way that they do (and yours is just one example of many). As you say, perseverance and bloody-mindedness are necessary qualities in this battle, and sadly many people give up even tho' their case is strong.

I'm very glad you are a winner. Welcome to the club!

Zebedeee
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    admsroy wrote: »
    After 18 months non-stop trying, I have finally had my Banding reduced. This was finally achieved after I demanded that a VOA officer grant me a Personal visit. I think this must be some sort of record for perseverance and bloody-mindedness and I urge anyone who has good grounds for a reduction, to keep trying until you wear them down.

I would now consider making a formal complaint and possibly a claim for compensation for your time and for the upset this has caused.

I cannot conceive why it would take 30 letters before someone even bothers to come to look at your property. Especially since your arguments have now been vindicated.

Given the number of letters, I imagine your case has already been dealt with by the most senior people in the local office. Your experience suggests they are arrogant, incompetent, or both. Personally I wouldn't want them dealing with any subsequent complaint. I'd suggest writing to the Chief Executive's Office in London.

You may also be able to claim interest, either back to 1993 or at least until when the error was brought to the LO's attention.

Good luck :)
  • vivatifosi
    Options
    Wow, what an incredible tale of both their incompetence and your perseverance! As guppy says, I hope that you go for compensation. I also wish you luck on the interest. Many people on this board have fought and lost the interest battle, however that was because they failed to appeal earlier. Given that in your case you have been appealing for years I sincerely hope that you do win that battle!

Can one of the regulars remind me, is it the VOA or council you go after for interest? I seem to remember that while the council refund the overpayments, the VOA refunds the interest. Is that correct?
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    Can one of the regulars remind me, is it the VOA or council you go after for interest? I seem to remember that while the council refund the overpayments, the VOA refunds the interest. Is that correct?

This is correct :) There's no statutory provision to pay interest, but if you can prove that the VOA should have known to reduce your band earlier, i.e. that they were in effect, negligent, you can claim interest via the complaints procedure.

I think the most obvious example is where a neighbour's band has been reduced on appeal but other identical properties have incorrectly been left the same.

That's my understanding of it anyway, but I may be wrong. Its definitely the VOA, not the council though.
  • littlepockets
    Options
    Just received a call from the Listing Officer to say that she will agree to put my banding back to F (from G)

Came as a surprise but want to say thank you to all the people who provided advise and information directly and indirectly and especially vivatifosi and Zebedeee

Its taken over a year but just want to highlight the key things i feel helped get a result

measurement of the property.
    The listing officer orginally measured it at 175sqm but this came dowm to 163 sqm after i checked their measurements
    Very important as it brought down the price per metre

Comparables
    went to the local library and looked at all comparable properties and found 3 that were in band F. Importantly, the property descriptions mean I could place them within 5 miles of my property

Rooms
    the comparables the listing officer had showed 4 beds (only realised this at the adjourned Tribunal hearing) whereas mine was a 3 bed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback