Bankruptcy Credit Reference File Clean Up - Discussion

If you wish to discuss the "Clean up" of your Credit Reference Files and don't wish to start your own thread, then please use this thread.

Thanks. :)
Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed

Comments

• update
    update Posts: 133 Forumite
    Can you send the letter without account no. can't remember. Only put the bankructy no. is it ok

SUN PREPAID| Limit £O - balance £800CR
    JD WILLIAMS | Limit £320---£800 - balance £10
    Next | Limit £3500 - balance £ 0
    Savings - £3350
  • anna_74
    anna_74 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I was discharged from bankruptcy 15 August 2007. After receiving all my credit reports which appeared to be OK (other than B/R) I applied to open basic account (no credit facility) with Abbey where I am STILL paying my wages into a savings account. The application was rejected. After speaking with Experian, they told me there were further discrepanicies with my old address. Lloyds Bank still showed in default AFTER my bankruptcy date.After speaking with the O/R they told me there was nothing I could do as Lloyds never received a penny from my bankruptcy.Thank you so much for the details you have provided me. I have since contacted the Data Controller at Lloyds and have now escalated to the Information Commissioner's as I have had no response in well over a month.I can't tell you how much I appreciate this website and the information it provides. I have had a very lonely time of it and never really known where to turn. My ex partner (who's fault it is I am bankrupt) has vanished off the face of the earth - thank goodness.The National Debtline have also been a Godsend.
  • RebTech
    RebTech Posts: 160
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Does the information in the pinned/closed thread on credit file cleanup all apply equally to Scotland?
  • RebTech
    RebTech Posts: 160
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I just got my credit reports from Experian and Equifax. The Experian one is fine, my bankruptcy is there with the discharge date, but on the Equifax one the Satisfied Date field, which I suppose should have the discharge date, is empty. I don't have documentation proving I was discharged then, but it is the normal date (3 years after the declaration, I live in Scotland). Can I just write and tell them this or do I need to do something else to support it?

Also, there are several entries in the Equifax report as "(Debt) collection activity" from 2002 and 2003, naming a collection agency, before the bankruptcy. Experian doesn't have any of these. Is that normal? Can I do anything about it?
  • stubie
    stubie Posts: 244 Forumite
    OK I need some help on this one. I have read all the post on the other link but I'm some what confused.

Having cleaned up most of my files, one comany Egg are playing hard to get. They have written back saying:

Having reviewed your file bla bla bla.....we would like to clarify these points:

1. Egg cannot list the default date as 5th October 2007 (my BR date). This may have been the date of your BR was filed, but it was not the date on which Egg was informed. The default dates listed is 18 October 2007 because this is the date on which your Egg Card account was terninated.

2. Your Egg card account shows as a partial settlement because Egg has written off part of the balance. In order for a full settlement to be listed, the full balanace would need to be paid.

3. The infomation listed with the credit agencies is correct.

" I am unable to uphold your complaint"

Sorry.....for the longish post but before I go into step 2, does anyone know if they are correct or incorrect in what they say?

So far all other companies have changed my files to show my BR date and marked as "settled".

Many Thanks
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    stubie wrote: »
    1. Egg cannot list the default date as 5th October 2007 (my BR date). This may have been the date of your BR was filed, but it was not the date on which Egg was informed. The default dates listed is 18 October 2007 because this is the date on which your Egg Card account was terninated.

That is absolute rubbish from Egg.

2. Your Egg card account shows as a partial settlement because Egg has written off part of the balance. In order for a full settlement to be listed, the full balanace would need to be paid.

It would be nicer if it just said settled, but "partial settlement" is acceptable according to the information commissioner.

The important thing is that it lists the balance as satisfied.

My old Egg card shows as "partial settlement" and where it gives the "balance" it says "satisfied".

If it is only point (1) that is incorrect, then I suppose it's up to you whether you want to try and get that corrected for the sake of 13 days.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• stubie
    stubie Posts: 244 Forumite
    Thanks fermi.......I will get it changed via the step 2 route.

Many Thanks
  • Hello,

I've just found out I need to clean up my credit report.

I was discharged on August 25th 2007 and having looked at my report today I can see that all my debtors listed in my B/R at still showing as default.

Looking at the information in the thread this means I need to write to them, using the template provided, and ask them to update their records? Is that correct?

I have called the OR and asked for a letter stating that I am discharged which they were happy to send out FOC.

Thanks for the help with this guys.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    I was discharged on August 25th 2007 and having looked at my report today I can see that all my debtors listed in my B/R at still showing as default.

Looking at the information in the thread this means I need to write to them, using the template provided, and ask them to update their records? Is that correct?

It is the date of the default for each debt, and whether it is marked in some way to indicate that it is now 'satisfied' that matters.

Firstly, the default date listed for the debt should be no later than the date of your bankruptcy. This is important because the records of the debt will be removed six years from the default date. If the records are correct, then details of the bankruptcy order and old debts should fall off the files at the same date. :)

In the meantime you also need to make sure that the debts are marked as settled (or partially settled) with no outstanding balance due. That will help improve your record in a very small way while the bankruptcy is still on it, but should also help prevent the former debts being sold on to scavenging debt collectors.;)

The procedure in the sticky should help you get all this marked correctly.

I've seen your other thread and you should be aware that while this 'cleanup' will stand you in good stead for the future, until the bankruptcy itself drops off the records then you will still struggle for credit.

• That's fine, every little helps as the saying goes.

Egg and Captial ones say satisfied, Nationwide, Nationwide Trust, HSBC and Tesco Personal Finance still have an outstanding balance.

All of the dates fall before my discharge, some before the BR and some after.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback