Vinyl wrapped kitchen doors 'bubbling' ??

Options

Comments

• 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Moneyistoo.... We had second nature kitchen very expensive high gloss started to bubble after 4 years supplier BKS Swansea replaced some then refused then went bankrupt then started again same name and people. I would never buy from second nature or use BKS whatever they call themselves again.
  • Spanish1
    Options
    Have raised this very issue with Homebase recently on a Schreiber kitchen ordered in 2012 but delivered 2013. Assessor when they came said well you've had it since 2012, not once but all the way through the conversation. All the base units have bubbling and lifting, which she tried to say is normal wear and tear. I pointed out that (a) I was told these units could be cleaned with a cleaning product without bleach, untrue, (even the assessor said they should only be cleaned with soap and water. (b) Shreiber are supposed to offer a 15 year guarantee. Apparently the model I chose is no longer available so they are, they say looking into it. Also apparently this brand has now been sold to Argos, says it all. I am awaiting their reply to my concerns and trust they will not try to fob me off with a mismatch. What law did you take them to court under, as obviously this kitchen is not fit for the job. She even said I shouldn't steam clean the floor, and perhaps there had been a spillage on one unit, yes it is a kitchen not a display unit. I am going to be generous and give them a couple of months, otherwise I will be telling them that they replace all the doors or I will be claiming money back under VISA. but would be interested to know what rule you got in your favour.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Spanish1 wrote: »
    Have raised this very issue with Homebase recently on a Schreiber kitchen ordered in 2012 but delivered 2013. Assessor when they came said well you've had it since 2012, not once but all the way through the conversation. All the base units have bubbling and lifting, which she tried to say is normal wear and tear. I pointed out that (a) I was told these units could be cleaned with a cleaning product without bleach, untrue, (even the assessor said they should only be cleaned with soap and water. (b) Shreiber are supposed to offer a 15 year guarantee. Apparently the model I chose is no longer available so they are, they say looking into it. Also apparently this brand has now been sold to Argos, says it all. I am awaiting their reply to my concerns and trust they will not try to fob me off with a mismatch. What law did you take them to court under, as obviously this kitchen is not fit for the job. She even said I shouldn't steam clean the floor, and perhaps there had been a spillage on one unit, yes it is a kitchen not a display unit. I am going to be generous and give them a couple of months, otherwise I will be telling them that they replace all the doors or I will be claiming money back under VISA. but would be interested to know what rule you got in your favour.

Would VISA refund your money? if you went into Argos and purchased the cheapest, poorest quality Bush television and it lasted five years would VISA refund your money? I do not know the answer but one has to be reasonable. You made a conscious decision to purchase a poor quality, short life span kitchen. You also seem to be saying it has been subject to moisture, bleach, steam cleaning or whatever.

Some folks might suggest you purchased cheap and then abused the product and are now complaining that after five years wear tear, and abuse, it is no longer in pristine condition.

This might be one of life's learning curve examples. You will know what to specify, and look after next time?
  • barbskev
    Options
    I am shocked at the sneering attitude in some of the replies. When I buy any furniture I expect it to last. I bought Sharps bedroom wardrobes probably in 1998, OK 20 years. Why shouldn't they last? They are great in every way except for the loosening of the foil on a couple of doors. It happened on a door about 15 years or so ago and Sharps replaced the door. These cupboard doors cost me a lot of money back then, half price sale or not!
    I'm wondering whether to try ironing the foil back, with a cloth between of course. Any thoughts?
  • Furts
    Options
    barbskev wrote: »
    I am shocked at the sneering attitude in some of the replies. When I buy any furniture I expect it to last. I bought Sharps bedroom wardrobes probably in 1998, OK 20 years. Why shouldn't they last? They are great in every way except for the loosening of the foil on a couple of doors. It happened on a door about 15 years or so ago and Sharps replaced the door. These cupboard doors cost me a lot of money back then, half price sale or not!
    I'm wondering whether to try ironing the foil back, with a cloth between of course. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately you may regard it as sneering whilst others might regard it as a reality check. It is simply a matter of buyer beware. Nobody who buys vinyl wrapped kitchen doors should be thinking they are buying a quality item. Further this quality has nothing to do with retail prices. Vinyl wrapped doors are an example of the kitchen industry buying in dirt cheap doors and selling them for the maximum price they can. Consumers who are not savvy then get sucked into this.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2018 at 6:38PM
    Options
    An easy mistake for a consumer to make.

When I had my new kitchen recently then I found that vinyl-wrapped doors are something that have come on the scene since I had the kitchen in my starter house done.

I'm just thankful I realised it was them that I was being quoted for (instead of "proper doors") by a local kitchen place and that there were threads up on MSE saying what they are like. Cue for me dropping that local kitchen place like a stone and finding another place instead and telling them that, under no circumstances, was I going to have doors like that and mine were to be solid wood.

Only too thankful I'd sussed by that point that there are many local firms that local people are telling me are good - but it ain't so. I was being told that firm are good too - but they're rubbish in actual fact.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am shocked at the sneering attitude in some of the replies. When I buy any furniture I expect it to last.

Why be shocked if someone explains in plain language that there may be a problem with a product's longevity?

MSE is about making informed choices.

A vinyl wrapped door may be appropriate in some situations. For example, vinyl wrapped doors are fine in my very workaday utility room. I didn't think it worth paying for solid wood doors in there. They'll look OK for about 10 years and won't owe me anything if I replace them after that time.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I've had the foil loosening on my Sharps bedroom doors. I had one replaced under warranty many years ago, the chap who replaced them said he had a full time job replacing these doors.... After the warranty ran out when I've had loose foil I've held it back in place with a run of sellotape along the length of the loose edge. Fortunately mine are the fake pine doors and these taped edges aren't visible. It does enough just to stop you catching the loose foil and breaking it off.

I won't be buying Sharps again.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Furts
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    I've had the foil loosening on my Sharps bedroom doors. I had one replaced under warranty many years ago, the chap who replaced them said he had a full time job replacing these doors.... After the warranty ran out when I've had loose foil I've held it back in place with a run of sellotape along the length of the loose edge. Fortunately mine are the fake pine doors and these taped edges aren't visible. It does enough just to stop you catching the loose foil and breaking it off.

I won't be buying Sharps again.

Are you being unfair to Sharps? You will have done a price versus quality versus life expectancy decision when you purchased. You were happy with the doors then. They were clearly not solid timber, so there were going to be compromises. Then were clearly not lipped mfc, so again there were going to be compromises. And frequently wardrobe doors are allowed to become ill adjusted and they drag on carpets, they catch on edges and such like. So damage occurs caused by consumers.

You have received many years life from the doors so are you right to complain here? Is this really a Sharps problem?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 March 2018 at 1:00PM
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Are you being unfair to Sharps? You will have done a price versus quality versus life expectancy decision when you purchased. You were happy with the doors then. They were clearly not solid timber, so there were going to be compromises. Then were clearly not lipped mfc, so again there were going to be compromises. And frequently wardrobe doors are allowed to become ill adjusted and they drag on carpets, they catch on edges and such like. So damage occurs caused by consumers.

You have received many years life from the doors so are you right to complain here? Is this really a Sharps problem?

Whoa there. Hang on a minute, don't get all heavy handed with me! I was just replying to the poster who wanted a solution to his foil problem which I gave him!

Our doors don't drag on the floor, there's a two inch+ gap between the doors and the floor. The places where the foils have lifted have actually been the long edges of the doors and the top of the drawers.

The fitter who replaced ours under warranty said he'd got a full time job going round replacing these exact same doors with the same problem. He'd just come from one customer who had the whole lot done.

I merely stated that I wouldn't be buying Sharps again, where did I say I was complaining?!!!!

ETA They weren't cheap either. £2K for a triple wardrobe, and 3 small chests of drawers in 1998.

And I've no idea what 'lipped mfc' is.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure