Repaying child benefit overpayment

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Libbyd wrote: »
    I wish I never posted.
    No, don't wish that.
    You've had a suggestion of a 0% credit card, which I think is the right answer.
  • Libbyd
    Libbyd Posts: 48 Forumite
    Thank you all. Hubby has spoken to them and offered £1000 now and then we can spread payments over a year or so. Phew. Huge relief. Hubby got an unexpected bonus from work on Friday, something we get annually but was told they'd not receive anything this year (not sure why) but £1000 is better than nothing, and we gave it all to the tax man as we are serious about paying this off, not trying to dodge anything at all.

They understood our circumstances are difficult at the moment with myself chronically unwell, 3 children and I am still awaiting a PIP decision which is taking forever.

It shows it depends who you get from HMRC on the phone, some are so difficult to talk to, where as others are very helpful. That's the experience hubby has had anyway.

Thank you to those of you who showed compassion and gave some good advice. I appreciate it.

Lib
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    Thank you all. Hubby has spoken to them and offered £1000 now and then we can spread payments over a year or so. Phew. Huge relief. Hubby got an unexpected bonus from work on Friday, something we get annually but was told they'd not receive anything this year (not sure why) but £1000 is better than nothing, and we gave it all to the tax man as we are serious about paying this off, not trying to dodge anything at all.

They understood our circumstances are difficult at the moment with myself chronically unwell, 3 children and I am still awaiting a PIP decision which is taking forever.

It shows it depends who you get from HMRC on the phone, some are so difficult to talk to, where as others are very helpful. That's the experience hubby has had anyway.

Thank you to those of you who showed compassion and gave some good advice. I appreciate it.

Lib

Thank you for updating, that's great news for you all!

One thing you might want to consider is that if you claim child benefit, it protects your national insurance payments for state pension until your youngest child is 12. Unless PIP also does this?

With that in mind, it might be worth you (it must be you) claiming the child benefit and putting it to one side to repay at the end of each tax year. See https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/changes-to-child-benefit-from-2013 for details.

Also, as mentioned by a poster above, if your husband's employer allows him to make additional pension payments through salary sacrifice, he could use this to bring his income to just below the 50K threshold. You'd then be entitled to child benefit. Depending on his salary, you could be just as well off but he'd also have additional pension funds which is never a bad thing.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am glad you have been able to sort this out.

Continuing from Jay11's post.....

If your children are over 12 yrs old then you would not be receiving national insurance credits from the child benefit even if you claimed it and put it aside.

I do think you should consider this aspect.

Did you ever claim ESA? Have you got an open claim for this although not being paid? If you have then you will be getting NI credits towards your pension.
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Lib

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
  • Good luck with your PIP claim, OP. If you're successful with this, you'll get the cash backdated to the date your application was received. Might even be enough to pay off HMRC and put this awful experience behind you. x

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • Libbyd
    Libbyd Posts: 48 Forumite
    Good luck with your PIP claim, OP. If you're successful with this, you'll get the cash backdated to the date your application was received. Might even be enough to pay off HMRC and put this awful experience behind you. x

Thank you.

That's what I am hoping, if I am awarded it then the backpay will definitely be used to clear HMRC. I want that stress out of the way for sure. Then PIP will help me going forward I hope. I just pray I am successful, it's been going on since last July. Apparently it's still with a medical assessor and all I can do is wait. It definitely is a long process.

Lib
  • AdamBrunt
    AdamBrunt Posts: 369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, don't wish that.
    You've had a suggestion of a 0% credit card, which I think is the right answer.

But there was a subsequent post saying HMRC no longer taker credit card payments - which I find difficult to believe.

We are in a similar position to the OP - just received the letter saying we were overpaid Child Benefit since 14/15. We have no problem paying it but, like others have posted on here, it seems completely crazy that HMRC can get away with not having to inform people they will be liable to the charge (since they know who those people are) but rely on said people informing them.

A sensible country/government, of course, would have the benefit and tax people in the same department and all talking to each and knowing all this informaction via your NI number :mad:
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    AdamBrunt wrote: »
    But there was a subsequent post saying HMRC no longer taker credit card payments - which I find difficult to believe

It's true, stopped in January. They could no longer pass bank charges for processing personal credit card payments onto the taxpayer so have stopped accepting it.
  • AdamBrunt
    AdamBrunt Posts: 369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2018 at 9:38AM
    It's true, stopped in January. They could no longer pass bank charges for processing personal credit card payments onto the taxpayer so have stopped accepting it.

Oh, no.

Not sure how he can are going to pay it in that case - if it leaves the only option of paying it back to them over 12 months.

I am also struggling to find any documentation about Child Benefit for years [ can't find any recent Child Benefit award notices either ] and neither I, nor my wife, can remember filling in the Child Benefit form for years but the payments do appear on the bank balance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure