Shop Direct and Credit file

Hi
I am on a DMP with SC and all my accounts defaulted April 2016 - except Shop Direct (very). They have put Arrangement to pay marker and say because SC are making payments on my behalf they won't default, even though I've fallen behind on payments and not paying what I should.

Do I ask SC to stop paying to force them to default? i can't see that I'll be able to pay the £2,600 balance off in the near future so is a default better than AP markers?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi anna

StepChange almost certainly won't agree to stop paying the debt I'm afraid, given you agree that you that you owe it. The idea of a DMP is all your debts are included and treated fairly.

A creditor can choose to mark your credit file as having an arrangement in place where one has been negotiated. Or some will choose to register a default. You can try and argue a default should usually be registered once arrears have reached between 3 to 6 months, but they may not change their minds.

It could be worth asking the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) to consider your complaint if you don't get anywhere with the creditor.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Shop Direct took two years to default my husbands account, we'll be looking to get them to move it at some point.
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Shop Direct took two years to default my husbands account, we'll be looking to get them to move it at some point.

I'm guessing you weren't making any payments at all?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure