Marriage Costs

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Spendless wrote: »
    I would say the difference is, at any other party thrown, the hosts pay for the food and not the bar bill. Eg It's my son's 18th today, he's not having a party (didn't want one) but if we had given him one, I would expect to pay for the room hire and the catering. I would not expect to fund people's drinks. The same is true of any other party I've been to, whether it's a milestone birthday, a Christening, an engagement or wedding anniversary. I therefore expect a wedding to follow the same format, at least to a degree. A drink on arrival and the toast I would expect to be provided for.

I'd be pretty miffed if wine wasn't provided with the meal but I certainly wouldn't expect to have an evening's drinking paid for!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Slinky wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. People don't want a keepsake of your wedding cluttering up their homes, however much they love you. Let them have their memories of your day, whatever photos they took they want to keep and leave it at that. If you must have favours let it be something they can eat and not feel guilty about throwing away.

There seems to be an assumption that’s is some crap that everyone will hate taking home. What if it was something you actually quite liked?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The difference is that at most receptions the hosts provide a meal, not an unlimited continuously running open kitchen :)

It's not that I don't agree with a free bar - it's your money, you can spend it however you like - I just don't think it's necessary.
    None of our family or friends are big drinkers and alcohol would not be the most important element of the day. The drinks provided on arrival, wine provided with the meal and bubbly for the toast is a sufficient amount of alcohol for most people at a social occasion.

If that is sufficient, why have a bar at all?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    There seems to be an assumption that’s is some crap that everyone will hate taking home. What if it was something you actually quite liked?

What is it?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Gavin83
    Slinky wrote: »
    What is it?

Not really sure there’s any value in me answering this question in this context just for you to respond that it’s crap. I don’t know you (presumably anyway), I don’t know your tastes and you aren’t attending my wedding. My question was more general. You seem to assume that you wouldn’t like a favour you received from a wedding, my point was that you could and therefore in this situation it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.

While I don’t know you I do know my guests and I know the majority will like the favour. That’s good enough for me.

Saying this I’m not a fan of a favour that’s a photo of the couple, a little trinket with the date on or anything like that. I don’t believe a favour is there as a way of promoting the wedding, I see it as a small gift for the guests. Therefore there’s no way of identifying from our favour it’s from our wedding, or even a wedding in general. The only way someone would know is by asking.

All I’m really hoping for is that is raises a few smiles and provides a bit of a talking point for a short time on the day, and maybe even an ice breaker for those who don’t know each other to converse. Anything beyond that, such as someone keeping it is a bonus.
  • I am intrigued!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    If that is sufficient, why have a bar at all?
    If that was 'all' people wanted then I'd agree no need for a bar. IME the guests arrive at the reception way ahead of the bride and groom who are often taken off somewhere picturesque for the couples photos. When my sister married she counter acted this by requesting that the photos were taken in the gardens of where the wedding breakfast was taking place, so guests could at least watch whilst they had a drink, otherwise it's just 'hanging around waiting' they're doing. Then there's the timing of when the couple got married and when the daytime event is over and when the evening one starts, sometimes a couple of hours gap, sometimes not time at all. I think I'd dislike to be somewhere where I couldn't get a drink outside of welcome, toast and with main meal.
  • Gavin83
    I am intrigued!

I don’t have a problem sharing it. We’re building a Lego minifigure representation of each guest. So we’ll build it to look like them and include a few accessories based on either their hobbies, their career, a funny personal thing about them or their nickname. I’m sure our guests will enjoy it and will prompt conversation between strangers wondering why their minifig is clutching the items they are.

It’s not totally random, Lego is actually a pretty big hobby of mine so it fits well in being a memento of us without actually splashing anything about our wedding across it.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I our case I think it was about £1k. The cost to us was considerably less as my parents supplied the wine (French booze cruise) and the barrel of cider by my wife's uncle (we helped make it). That left us to provide the soft drinks and beer which was bought when on special offer in various supermarkets.

We had a fair bit of booze left over and still have a few bottle now. The 100 bottles of fizz were quaffed though. Not surprising given that it was 32 degrees C on the day.

So your wedding was not in an hotel which would expect a profit on drink sales, then?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I don!!!8217;t have a problem sharing it. We!!!8217;re building a Lego minifigure representation of each guest. So we!!!8217;ll build it to look like them and include a few accessories based on either their hobbies, their career, a funny personal thing about them or their nickname. I!!!8217;m sure our guests will enjoy it and will prompt conversation between strangers wondering why their minifig is clutching the items they are.

It!!!8217;s not totally random, Lego is actually a pretty big hobby of mine so it fits well in being a memento of us without actually splashing anything about our wedding across it.

Thanks for sharing.

This post has prompted me to finally go and throw away a pebble painted with my OH's name and accompanying piece of string! This was from a wedding he attended on his own, the couple were scouts, the string is in some sort of knot which is supposed to bring good luck. This blessed thing has been cluttering up a windowsill for 16 years.......... it's now residing in the bin.

It has annoyed me for a long time, I've never even met the couple.

I will probably never have any luck ever again now. Oh dear.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport