Marriage Costs

Comments

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    NeilCr wrote: »
    The first was of a Sri Lankan friend of mine. Registry Office with a limited number of guests. Back to her place where her mum and her uncle, who is a chef, cooked up an amazing Sri Lankan feast. Second at a hotel, which was given over to the wedding, on a beautiful loch in Scotland. Smashing catering with the haggis (and a vegetarian version) being piped in.
    I once went to my Indian friend's birthday party - his mum laid on the most amazing hot Indian buffet, and it was probably the best Indian food I'd ever had. However, there were definitely some of the guests turning up their noses at the food and loudly complaining about it. If you have even a handful of guests like that at a wedding then I can see why the hosts generally prefer to stick with something safe like a bland chicken dish with a few boring veggies on the side.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 March 2018 at 5:08PM
    onlyroz wrote: »
    I once went to my Indian friend's birthday party - his mum laid on the most amazing hot Indian buffet, and it was probably the best Indian food I'd ever had. However, there were definitely some of the guests turning up their noses at the food and loudly complaining about it. If you have even a handful of guests like that at a wedding then I can see why the hosts generally prefer to stick with something safe like a bland chicken dish with a few boring veggies on the side.

Many moons again my dad was a bank manager and we (my parents and I) were invited to one of his Indian customer's homes for dinner. As you say it was incredible.

In terms of the guests complaining then, sorry, that's on them. As I said I am fussy and I've been invited to various dos where I've not liked the food. Normally, I've known in advance and had something before I left and just had the vegetables or whatever. In the Indian food example people I know who don't like that style of cuisine would have had the rice, poppadums etc.

Really I think it's the height of rudeness to be complaining about the food loudly at something you've been invited to. Says an awful lot about them. A big clue was that they were invited to an Indian friend's birthday party. Were they expecting burgers?
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tho wrote: »
    I've never attended a wedding with a free bar, but I've worked behind one. Without having the most moralistic guests you inevitably end up with a group who decide that instead of just a pint, they want a "oh go on, might as well make it a triple!" shot and mixer, probably still have the pint, and get a chaser for good measure. Several times. When the average persons drink cost per time changes from £3.50 to about £15, (those wedding bar prices still apply, just coming out the generous bride and grooms pocket) it quickly spirals out of control.

To be fair my guests arent dicks, I trust them not to take the mick and order what theyd order if they were paying. I think if people have guests like this at their wedding then they need to reassess their friends/relatives they invite.

On top of this we will almost certainly have some sort of rules in place for what can and can’t be ordered and I guess technically speaking we wont have a completely free bar, Id just be extremely shocked if the money we have runs out.

For those people who dont agree with a free bar would you see it as acceptable if guests were asked to pay for their food at a wedding? Whats the difference?
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Serious question - what are the guests meant to do with the favours - have a display shelf at home where the favours from every wedding they've been too are kept, drop them in the back of a drawer and try to remember to get them out if the couple visit in years to come or give them away to a charity shop?

Frankly whatever they like, its their gift. However its slightly personalised and really not that valuable so Id say the charity shop option is off the cards. If they wished to throw it away I wouldnt be offended.

However I know my guests, I know their tastes and I know the majority will really like the favour so as well as raising a few laughs at the wedding I wouldnt be surprised if most do display it somewhere. Its not big, only a few inches so its not exactly like theyll need a large space to dedicate to it.
    Having said that the two best weddings, foodwise (and overall, too), were entirely different.

Ive had a mixed bag. I went to one wedding in a 5* hotel where the food was average at best. That hotel has now gone out of business and I wasnt entirely surprised. Ive been to two weddings where the food stood out. One was in a hotel with a Michelin star restaurant and as expected the food was excellent. The other was an Indian wedding and as a fan of Indian cuisine I really enjoyed that too.

For our wedding I already know the food is good as I’ve eaten there and the guests on the day get a choice of three dishes for each course, we just need to decide what those dishes will be. Hoping the choice will keep most people happy.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I went to quite a posh wedding where we had fish and chips and ice cream. I think the vegetarians had quiche and chips. Loved it.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Do you?

If I ever got married again (not going to happen) I'd cater for vegetarians, vegans and coeliacs none of whom, I regard as fussy eaters, anyway. And that would be that and this is a fussy eater speaking. It's then what the two of us would like,

Plus I don't go to weddings for the food. Obviously, it's lovely to have super food that you like but not why I am there.
    Make sure the venue and your guests know what's happening though if you ever arrange one. We went to 2 weddings last year. The first was the canapes after the 4pm service, followed by a substantial buffet around 9pm that I've already described. The canapes were insufficient for the guests who'd all travelled a fair distance to be there.

The other was my sis-in-laws wedding. She catered for vegetarians. The venue hadn't thought to include vegetarian gravy with their veggie option and didn't have any to make up either. This was a hotel that had the wedding service there too, I'd have expected them to cater for vegetarians quite frequently.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    For those people who dont agree with a free bar would you see it as acceptable if guests were asked to pay for their food at a wedding? Whats the difference?

The difference is that at most receptions the hosts provide a meal, not an unlimited continuously running open kitchen :)

It's not that I don't agree with a free bar - it's your money, you can spend it however you like - I just don't think it's necessary.
    None of our family or friends are big drinkers and alcohol would not be the most important element of the day. The drinks provided on arrival, wine provided with the meal and bubbly for the toast is a sufficient amount of alcohol for most people at a social occasion.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Spendless
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I would say the difference is, at any other party thrown, the hosts pay for the food and not the bar bill. Eg It's my son's 18th today, he's not having a party (didn't want one) but if we had given him one, I would expect to pay for the room hire and the catering. I would not expect to fund people's drinks. The same is true of any other party I've been to, whether it's a milestone birthday, a Christening, an engagement or wedding anniversary. I therefore expect a wedding to follow the same format, at least to a degree. A drink on arrival and the toast I would expect to be provided for.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Spendless wrote: »
    Make sure the venue and your guests know what's happening though if you ever arrange one. We went to 2 weddings last year. The first was the canapes after the 4pm service, followed by a substantial buffet around 9pm that I've already described. The canapes were insufficient for the guests who'd all travelled a fair distance to be there.

The other was my sis-in-laws wedding. She catered for vegetarians. The venue hadn't thought to include vegetarian gravy with their veggie option and didn't have any to make up either. This was a hotel that had the wedding service there too, I'd have expected them to cater for vegetarians quite frequently.

Well. It's not going to happen. She doesn't want to marry me and I don't want to marry her.

:rotfl::rotfl:

The rest is common sense surely? You tell the guests what is happening and you keep up to speed with the venue. No vegetarian gravy - yep they should have thought of that but not too difficult to rectify is it - in normal circumstances anyway. My local restaurants have been known to pop out to the local Iceland/off licence if they are short of something

I see that they can be in the middle of nowhere but, in the great scheme of things, the lack of vegetarian (or normal) gravy isn't the end of the world.

Not on you spendless but the more I read this particular forum the more I see people who are more concerned about themselves than their friends/relations etc

And it's not a generational/(ugh) snowflake thing either!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Serious question - what are the guests meant to do with the favours - have a display shelf at home where the favours from every wedding they've been too are kept, drop them in the back of a drawer and try to remember to get them out if the couple visit in years to come or give them away to a charity shop?

My thoughts exactly. People don't want a keepsake of your wedding cluttering up their homes, however much they love you. Let them have their memories of your day, whatever photos they took they want to keep and leave it at that. If you must have favours let it be something they can eat and not feel guilty about throwing away.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Spendless
    Well. It's not going to happen. She doesn't want to marry me and I don't want to marry her.

:rotfl::rotfl:

The rest is common sense surely? You tell the guests what is happening and you keep up to speed with the venue. No vegetarian gravy - yep they should have thought of that but not too difficult to rectify is it - in normal circumstances anyway. My local restaurants have been known to pop out to the local Iceland/off licence if they are short of something

I see that they can be in the middle of nowhere but, in the great scheme of things, the lack of vegetarian (or normal) gravy isn't the end of the world.

Not on you spendless but the more I read this particular forum the more I see people who are more concerned about themselves than their friends/relations etc

And it's not a generational/(ugh) snowflake thing either!
    No it wasn't. My daughter just went without. I'm just relieved she thought to query it before tipping it over her plate and then refusing to eat it. The venue isn't out in the sticks but nor is it near to any local shops etc. It was more my surprise, that a venue that is a hotel and also you can marry at, hadn't thought this one through. My sis-in-laws (adult) daughter was originally vegetarian when the venue was booked (she'd gone back to being a meat eater by the time of her Mum's marriage) so I'm surprised it wasn't something that the bride hadn't thought to ask about when requesting veggie dishes for the guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure