Santander - omg!

Good evening - an outline. Bought this house with my daughter 2.5 years ago. 5 months ago we tied ourselves into another 2 year deal, she does not live with me as her circumstances changed and she lives 100 miles away. she wants to come off the mortgage to buy a house 100 miles away. I don't earn enough to have the house completely, I owe £100 k, value is £180 k. My partner can replace her in here place. he works 150 miles away Mon - Thursday. Santander say he must be in the house 50% of the time. I said he has done this job for 30 years. Where is the logic or am I missing something? I also work away - I don't spend 50% of my time in the house! House is in England. Btw my daughter has never lived in thee house, and I have always paid the mortgage and bills. she doesn't want any money, she wants her name removed. my credit is excellent. what language do Santander speak? I don't want to sell my home because I don't tick their boxes.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I don't want to sell my home because I don't tick their boxes.

That's not Santanders problem. You knew the risks when you first bought the house together.
  • I didn't ask who's problem is it - I am asking is there a solution. Glad your life is in straight lines.
  • Btw my daughter has never lived in thee house, and I have always paid the mortgage and bills.

So you/she committed fraud when you applied in joint names? when you apply, you state you will both be living there; by her stating such, then not living there, she has committed fraud.

When you apply for a 25 year mortgage, you apply for a 25 year term, not 2 years, not 5 years, but 25 years (replace 25 years with whatever your mortgage term is).

If your daughter was not happy to live in your house for 25 years, she shouldn't have agreed to be part of the mortgage.

Not much that can be done really unless you can apply for a new mortgage on your own. What was your reasoning behind applying with your daughter?!? If it was to use her income, then your bank's response is hardly unexpected.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    So you/she committed fraud when you applied in joint names? when you apply, you state you will both be living there; by her stating such, then not living there, she has committed fraud.

When you apply for a 25 year mortgage, you apply for a 25 year term, not 2 years, not 5 years, but 25 years (replace 25 years with whatever your mortgage term is).

If your daughter was not happy to live in your house for 25 years, she shouldn't have agreed to be part of the mortgage.

Not much that can be done really unless you can apply for a new mortgage on your own. What was your reasoning behind applying with your daughter?!? If it was to use her income , then your bank's response is hardly unexpected.

It says there was a change of circumstances. She may have intended to move in it just didn't happen.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    This is why family and money shouldn't''t mix and in this case more than ever.

Don't buy a house/flat with your parents, because who are you really helping and hindering.

You can't get rid of your share easily if your parent/s don't earn enough buy you out and if you want a property to live in with your partner or husband/kids, you pay extra stamp duty for a second property

OP I'm afraid you knew the risks and sadly the daughter looks likes she didn't know what she got herself in. It seems you got your daughter into this for your own benefit to have a house.

You are both responsible for the mortgage and defaulting will impact both your credit files and therefore ability to get credit.

Perhaps selling and downsizing maybe an option
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It sounds as though Santander are not the lender for you. Many lenders will have an issue with neither you nor your partner working within a commutable distance of the property. Engage a mortgage broker.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,412
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Perhaps you should consider moving to an alternate Lender?

Most are comfortable with a borrower working away provided the extra costs are affordable.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    5 months ago we tied ourselves into another 2 year deal
    If you hadn't done this, you could now have found the right lender for the altered circumstances and it cost you nothing.

As you did, you will have to meet any early redemption penalties attaching to the product to be able to leave.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I didn't ask who's problem is it - I am asking is there a solution. Glad your life is in straight lines.

Either you move in with your partner or they move in with you. Seems the logical step. Alternatively downsize to a smaller property.
    Btw my daughter has never lived in thee house

That's not a straight line. More akin to buying a shovel and digging a hole for oneself. Which makes it late in the day to ask for solutions.
  • Thank you - 2 weeks before my daughter and I moved into this house, the company she works with - and it is a large well known company - moved her to another location. It was out of her hands. We bought a 2 bed property to live together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure