PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Setting up phone line and broadband in new property

I am moving into my new home on Friday. As always most important thing is getting a working internet connection ASAP.

I thought i had it sorted as I arranged with my provider to start my new service from the Monday. I have only just found out they are unable to do this as the current owner as put a "cease" on the line.

I can't swap provider with this "cease". And it doesn't cease till August 4th. When it does cease I have to pay for a "new line".

This doesn't seem best way for doing this. Has the current owner cancelled their contract incorrectly by ceasing the line and is there a better way to make this quick and easy.

Current provider is TalkTalk and they won't speak to me as I don't have an account..

Help please?

Comments

• bounderboy
    bounderboy Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have done more digging and unless I can get the vendor to remove the cease then I am stuck without being even to order broadband till after the 4th August..

That just seems nuts.. I own a house but can't have broadband..
  • LuckyG
    LuckyG Posts: 226 Forumite
    When we moved into the property we're currently renting there was no way of getting a phone line or broadband.

Apparently the telegraph pole at the rear had to be replaced a few years ago, since the previous occupier did not use a phone or have internet then there was no actual point on this new telegraph pole for us.

I found it completely crazy, I couldn't believe that in this day and age there was no way of us having broadband. We tried numerous companies and none could rectify the issue.

It took over a year in the end, BT actually managed to solve it. I don't know how but they did.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    bounderboy wrote: »
    I am moving into my new home on Friday. As always most important thing is getting a working internet connection ASAP.
    Surely stocking the fridge, changing the locks and making the beds are all more important?

I thought i had it sorted as I arranged with my provider to start my new service from the Monday. I have only just found out they are unable to do this as the current owner as put a "cease" on the line.
    I expect the current owner does not want to be responsible for ongoing costs.

I can't swap provider with this "cease". And it doesn't cease till August 4th. When it does cease I have to pay for a "new line".
    I believe it depends which provider you use.

This doesn't seem best way for doing this. Has the current owner cancelled their contract incorrectly by ceasing the line and is there a better way to make this quick and easy.
    Have you
    a) asked your provider?
    b) asked the current provider?
    c) asked your seller?

Current provider is TalkTalk and they won't speak to me as I don't have an account..
    Speak to Talk Talk on a hypothetical basis as a potential new customer.
  • bounderboy
    G_M wrote: »
    Speak to Talk Talk on a hypothetical basis as a potential new customer.

Thanks.. yeah Kids would rather have broadband than a bed.. and there are takeaways for food.. :-) But yes was tongue in cheek but still important for a functioning house.. and I need to work from home.

Have tried things you mention other than Hypothetical new customer.

What I don't understand is if the phone line doesn't cease till 4th August. Surely I can plug in a phone and still make calls on their phone bill - seems odd to me :-S Or is is different to that?
  • bounderboy
    Just adding: I contacted Vendor (through EA) and they have removed the cease on the line. Hopefully that will mean the order can go through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure