price changes - argos

Options
Hi all

i bought the below 8 days ago for £141

Argos product - 122/2870

Today i see the WAS price was £131 and is now £120

But that is incorrect, i bought this for £141 8 days ago so surely the was price is incorrect? can i do something about this? is this process illegal? I just got £21 refund but felt disgusted at how they can lie !

Comments

• naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

i bought the below 8 days ago for £141

Argos product - 122/2870

Today i see the WAS price was £131 and is now £120

But that is incorrect, i bought this for £141 8 days ago so surely the was price is incorrect? can i do something about this? is this process illegal? I just got £21 refund but felt disgusted at how they can lie !

I don't understand why you are so upset. It sounds like you have been given a reduction so that you have in effect got the item for the new lower price. I cannot see what benefit Argos are getting from their error, which makes me think it is just a minor mistake (and it may not even be that if the item has been price at £131 at some point in the past).
  • checkmate2000
    Options
    My only question is, 8 days ago the full price was £141

Today i see it says was price was £131 and now is £120.

Shouldnt the was price be £141?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Not necessarily if it has been sold at £131 at some point then that would also be a was price. I could understand your complaint if they claimed it had once been £141 with a £20 saving but hadn't been. I don't quite understand your complaint that they are saying it was £131 with £10 saving as they are making it look like a worse offer for themselves.

There are also laws on how long it has to be sold at a certain price before they can advertise a saving, it is possible that they didn't sell it at £141 for long enough to meet the requirements but may have previously sold it for £131 for longer so within the law.

You should really be glad that they refunded the difference as you had no legal entitlement to that unless they offer a price promise and you met the requirements.
  • naedanger
    Options

Possibly, but so what? You have not lost out and current buyers are not being tricked into thinking they are getting a better reduction than is the case.

Also perhaps the item has been on sale previously for £131.

Sounds at worst like a trivial mistake. I cannot understand why it caused you to feel disgusted.

[Furthermore there is no statutory reason for a retailer to give you a price reduction in the event that they lower the price of an item shortly after you purchase it, (although there may be a contractual requirement to do so if they promise, at the point of sale, that they will do this).]
  • checkmate2000
    Options
    Thanks, i have been following this product since early feb when it was first added and it was never £130, it started off at £157.99, then 146,99 then 141.99

i know i am sad but as i wasn't in rush to purchase i kept eye on price but then just purchased as i needed it, ah well should be happy as you said with the £20 refund.

thanks for your help
  • naedanger
    Options
    Thanks, i have been following this product since early feb when it was first added and it was never £130, it started off at £157.99, then 146,99 then 141.99

i know i am sad but as i wasn't in rush to purchase i kept eye on price but then just purchased as i needed it, ah well should be happy as you said with the £20 refund.

thanks for your help

I still genuinely don't understand why you felt disgusted. Did you feel there was more to this than a trivial mistake?
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you see this?:-

*Prices correct as displayed but are subject to change.
  • alumende27
    alumende27 Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, that's a first. Usually people moan that the 'for sale previously' price was artificially high, fooling them into thinking they're getting a bigger discount.

Argos gain nothing by saying the previous sale price was lower than it actually was. Heaven forbid they make an honest mistake now and again.

P.S. Do you live in Tunbridge Wells? You should write a letter to your local newspaper about your Argos experience, I'm sure they'll publish it.
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

thanks for your help

But it has been sold for £130.99...in November 2016.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure