Barcalys CIFAS

Hi All,

I have recently found out that Barclays have placed a CIFAS marker against my file. Category 6 - intention of misuse of bank account.

Over the Christmas period I sold a few items where at least 2 people paid via BACS. As far as I can work out, one of these payments a person contacted their bank to claim that it was fraudulent and they have been the victim of a scam.

With no communication regarding these transactions Barclays decided to 'close my account after a review' and place the CIFAS marker in secret. Even though I have correspondence with the buyers.. which I will be providing in my complaint and attempt of removal of this evil marker.

I have now had my other bank account closed with Santander due to this marker and now without a banking account for wages and salary.

I have began the complaint procedure with Barclays and I am gathering the evidence that I sold these items legitimately which includes forum posts and email correspondence!

My DIRECT problem is now, from reading numerous other posts and threads I wont be able to open a bank account in the mean time!

:- I have applied to 'Stink Money' who have advised me due to being self employed I wont be eligible for their facilities.

:- I have applied to nationwide for a basic account (new one in January 2016)

My question's are...

1. What the hell do Barclays think they are doing? Like how can one person simply press a 'WORSE THAN BANKRUPT' button for a payment into my account for £50.00? WITHOUT asking for evidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Where can I obtain a bank that will take me?!?! Please note I had a DRO last year, I am past the momentary period.

3. Is there a department at Barclays I can contact direct ??

Sorry, If any information is unclear. I have had a few sleepless nights and I am infuriated. Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,

T

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Hi All,

I have recently found out that Barclays have placed a CIFAS marker against my file. Category 6 - intention of misuse of bank account.

Over the Christmas period I sold a few items where at least 2 people paid via BACS. As far as I can work out, one of these payments a person contacted their bank to claim that it was fraudulent and they have been the victim of a scam.

With no communication regarding these transactions Barclays decided to 'close my account after a review' and place the CIFAS marker in secret. Even though I have correspondence with the buyers.. which I will be providing in my complaint and attempt of removal of this evil marker.

I have now had my other bank account closed with Santander due to this marker and now without a banking account for wages and salary.

I have began the complaint procedure with Barclays and I am gathering the evidence that I sold these items legitimately which includes forum posts and email correspondence!

My DIRECT problem is now, from reading numerous other posts and threads I wont be able to open a bank account in the mean time!

:- I have applied to 'Stink Money' who have advised me due to being self employed I wont be eligible for their facilities.

My question's are...

1. What the hell do Barclays think they are doing? Like how can one person simply press a 'WORSE THAN BANKRUPT' button for a payment into my account for £50.00? WITHOUT asking for evidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Where can I obtain a bank that will take me?!?! Please note I had a DRO last year, I am past the momentary period.

3. Is there a department at Barclays I can contact direct ??

Sorry, If any information is unclear. I have had a few sleepless nights and I am infuriated. Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,

T

Can't answer your questions, But in regards to wages etc, You can sign up to a prepaid visa card for the time being.

http://www.credecard.com/

CredECard, Gives you a personal sort code and account number meaning you dont need references to put payments into your account. You just need ID, Like driving licence or passport.

Their account cost £2 a month.

Or you can sign up to https://www.ffrees.co.uk/

Which is the exact same except without any monthly charge.
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    A minor thing but these providers may offer cashback on quidco or top cashback for opening accounts - no harm checking as that would cover the first few weeks cost.

Sorry about your situation OP.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    What were you selling?

And was it via somewhere like eBay/Gumtree/Facebook etc?

Why did one of your buyers report the payment to his bank as fraudulent/been scammed?

Are you 100% certain the CIFAS marker was placed because of this sale?

Have you sent a subject access request to CIFAS?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

Stink Money? Seriously?

What was the result of the application at Nationwide?

Are you aware that using personal accounts for business purposes is against the T&Cs of all personal accounts? Could the use of your personal account for business purposes be the reason for the CIFAS marker? How did you find out you have a CIFAS marker?
  • I applied to think money because i was worried.

I realized I had a cifas when santander rang me and told me Barclays have put that on the file and now closing my account.

I sold a item on gumtree and it seems that I posted the item.. received payment via account. Person disputed it with his bank account.

I ALSO purchased over £1000 worth of bitcoins over a week period form the account... so numerous transactions leaving the account..
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    I applied to think money because i was worried.

I realized I had a cifas when santander rang me and told me Barclays have put that on the file and now closing my account.

I sold a item on gumtree and it seems that I posted the item.. received payment via account. Person disputed it with his bank account.

I ALSO purchased over £1000 worth of bitcoins over a week period form the account... so numerous transactions leaving the account..

You are obviously an international money launderer, ;) no wonder they closed your accounts! As far as money laundering regulations are concerned, if these account for just one money launderer being stopped in his tracks then it's worth 10,000 innocent punters being wrongly accused.

Unfortunately it seems you will probably get nowhere complaining to the cavalier banks or their so-called regulators. However, you will need to give it a go. Longer term, the only thing that may stop these chumps causing grief and misery in the way they've apparently done here is to take it up with the legislature. Write to your MP explaining what's happened and see if he's amenable to supporting your cause. The cause being
    to get these banks properly regulated in this respect and to sort out the abomination known as CIFAS.
  • BITCOINS - this is the reason your account has been closed - 100%

Nothing at all to do with the sale of items.
  • GingerBob_3
    BITCOINS - this is the reason your account has been closed - 100%

Nothing at all to do with the sale of items.

Yes, almost certainly. And this just emphasises the need to sort out these obdurate banks. Bitcoins are not illegal, so this guy has been given a truck load of grief for engaging in perfectly legal activity.
  • The trouble is we are back to the usual problem of a business can decide who they want to deal with.

Look at it from the banks perspective.... Here is a client dabbling in semi-untraceable bitcoin transactions and at any time WE the bank could be sat upon from on high either by the UK government or the USA government (much worse) asking lots of awkward questions about these transactions if they have dodgy money at the end of them....which we really do not know as we really cannot determine exactly where the money has come from.
    So they sit there, scratch their heads and say do we really want to run the risk of getting major aggro - and the answer is no and that this is one customer we would rather not deal with thank you very much.

For another example suppose I'm a plumber and I myself so not want to deal with bitcoins so if you try and pay me in bitcoins I do not want anything more to do with you and will refuse all business from you.
    Perhaps you would think I'm being obdurate?
  • GingerBob_3
    The trouble is we are back to the usual problem of a business can decide who they want to deal with.

Look at it from the banks perspective.... Here is a client dabbling in semi-untraceable bitcoin transactions and at any time WE the bank could be sat upon from on high either by the UK government or the USA government (much worse) asking lots of awkward questions about these transactions if they have dodgy money at the end of them....which we really do not know as we really cannot determine exactly where the money has come from.
    So they sit there, scratch their heads and say do we really want to run the risk of getting major aggro - and the answer is no and that this is one customer we would rather not deal with thank you very much.

For another example suppose I'm a plumber and I myself so not want to deal with bitcoins so if you try and pay me in bitcoins I do not want anything more to do with you and will refuse all business from you.
    Perhaps you would think I'm being obdurate
    ?

But the plumber doesn't then blacklist you on a database which has the effect that you can't get plumbing services from anyone else. I'm fairly sure if that happened you'd be a bit put out, especially if you had pipe burst.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure