Fit Ikea doors to Howdens carcass?

Weve recently bought our first house and our howdens kitchen is still in good condition, but I want to replace the door fronts.

Is it possible to change the doors without changing all our soft closing hinges? I have found Ikea doors which are affordable, but I presume that the precut hole for the hinge would not line up?

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Probably not, but you can make a jig for the carcase to make new screw positions to make them fit.

Just get new Howdens doors, job done.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Don't forget the drawer fronts too, they might be tricky. Check the sizes in your kitchen are available in the new fascia - some ranges do a 3 drawer base, some a 4 drawer, deep pan drawers etc.
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ikea kitchen unit is slightly taller than most standard UK kitchen brand so the doors may not fit.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yes I always thought Ikea are a different size to Howdens.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,777
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ikea doors will not fit.

They are indeed taller and widths only come in 20cm multiples.

Using one company's doors on another's units isn't simply a case of the drilled holes lining. The doors, even when apparently for identically sized cabinets, will have a few mm difference in size which maybe okay wowithth some, but leave big gaps where you can see the carcass behind with others.

The best thing to replace a Howdens door is a Howdens door.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • mallymal
    mallymal Posts: 215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If Howdens are too pricey, do a search online for made to measure doors for diy fitting. There are many firms offering this. If nothing else you would have a price comparison.
  • Thanks for all the replies. I didnt think it was going to be that easy!

I will contact Howdens
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When I last did my kitchen from DIY Kitchens they were supplying Second Nature solid wood doors with a cheaper option to drill the hinge holes yourself. So I used a jig like this one :
    https://www.yandles.co.uk/kreg-concealed-hinge-jig-khi-hinge/p20870
    My Second Nature doors are still as good as new after nearly 10 years and available online from suppliers such as
    https://www.larkandlarks.co.uk/kitchen-doors

They will drill them for you on this site.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Ikea doors will not fit.

Using one company's doors on another's units isn't simply a case of the drilled holes lining.
    Yes it is did, it 6 months ago, had good carcases in a rental that I didn't know where they came from with doors all knackered. Hinge positions were different than Trade-point, Howdens and wickes, in fact all were different from each other too. Door sizes were however identical. After 30 minutes of careful measurements A jig was rigged up to drill the new holes to the correct size.

I didn't know however Ikea had different door sizes, but that certainly not the case with any others I have dealt with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure