Savings accounts accepting DD's

Comments

• surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I accidentally opened two Issue 30s last night, both linked to the same current account. I thought one application didn't go through, so did another one, but both went through! I now have 1 Issue 24, 1 Issue 25, 3 Issue 26s, 1 Issue 27, 1 28, 1 29 and 2 30s.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • DennisTenus
    DennisTenus Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I accidentally opened two Issue 30s last night, both linked to the same current account. I thought one application didn't go through, so did another one, but both went through! I now have 1 Issue 24, 1 Issue 25, 3 Issue 26s, 1 Issue 27, 1 28, 1 29 and 2 30s.

How is this working for all of you but not me!?!?
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite

Have you tried different browsers or devices? The technical difficulties message is a catch all error message.

On your withdrawal issue, have you made a withdrawal before? The message you get sounds like the common issue many people have on making their first withdrawal and the only solution is to ring them during office hours so the technical team can resolve it.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • latinaid
    latinaid Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

Might be obvious, but have you tried doing it on someone else's computer? Or even a different browser?
  • DennisTenus
    DennisTenus Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes tried different computers and my tablet and different browsers.

It must be related to my withdraw problem. I have withdrawn money before which worked fine.

I guess I will have to call them to sort it out.
  • KingL
    KingL Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2018 at 9:45AM
    You have to set the date of the direct debit to 14 working days ahead otherwise you keep getting the pop up advising you that a standing order is better and no direct debit is then set up on the account.
    Hi yes, I did that when setting up the original (overarching) linked account, but when it came to setting up a regular DD to draw from it, I couldn't even get as far as seeing that option.

I spent the next week tearing my hair out trying to setup a regular DD into the Post Office Bank. I think I've got it figured out now. These were the problems. It might help someone who is having similar problems (as the staff on the support desk certainly can't).

1) First-up, you have to set up a linked account/DD relationshop and then wait the standard ten working days for the link to your linked-account to be set up

<scroll 2 weeks later>

2) When you click "move" (to setup your regular DD) and select the "from linked account" tab you will be presented with a screen saying:
    • one-time / regular
    • amount
    • Next

the "one-time / regular " fields are radio buttons. 'One-time' is greyed-out. "Regular" is bright red and looks like it is already ticked (by default). However, despite appearances, it actually _isn't_ ticked and you have to actively tick if you want to get any further (if you don't tick it, the 'next' button will do nothing when you click it (well, it will change colour when you mousever it, but otherwise it will do nothing).

After you click the radio button for 'regular' you will get some more buttons like frequency and start/end dates for payments.

3) Even though you have waited for ten working days for the linked account to be linked, you have to set the date for your regular DD to be at least another 4 working days away. If you set a date sooner than that, when you click 'next' it will bounce you to the main menu and you won't know whether or not you were successful (you weren't). If you set the date far enough out, you will get a green tick mark to indicate that the DD was set up.

You can check active DDs on your account. Look for the circle with three horizontal dots in it. Click on that to see further options. New DDs appear instantly - if it ain't there, then it doesn't exist.

4) On the main page for the account there is a section called 'Linked Account'. If you click on "edit/add", it gives details (sort code etc) about your linked account. On mine, there is a line that says "Your account will be ready for withdrawals in 1 business days". It has been like that for over a week. I thought that this might have something to do with why I couldn't set up regular DD, but it seems not. As long as I have more than the minimum balance (£1) in the account I CAN make withdrawals, despite the online banking app saying the opposite. Don't be misled by that red-herring.

The staff on the help desk don't have much insight on what is going on in your account (indeed, in many cases, they can see even less about your account than you can). They are nice people, but haven't been given the systems to disgnose problems and are left with 4 standard responses "oh, it shouldn't do that"; "I'll tell our IT people about that"; "set-up a push standing order from the other account instead" and "have you tried another browser?"

Anyway, having discovered the problems/workarounds in 2 and 3, above, it seems to be working now.

If you are having similar problems, Good luck.

usecase details: (PO Account Issue 29. Chrome browser (same in opera, firefox, edge). Apparently Chrome IE and Firefox are the only officially supported browsers).
  • Roseanne1
    Roseanne1 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Was looking at my mother's PO savings account last night - two of her DDs seem to have been cancelled by the PO. :eek: I know this because any cancelled by me were "user cancelled" but two of the ones I'd set up to come out her Co-op account said "mandate cancelled". Does anyone know why they would unilaterally decide to cancel a DD without being asked. They definitely weren't cancelled by us as they were set up explicitly to meet the four DDs condition for Everyday Rewards.
  • fabsaver
    fabsaver Posts: 1,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wow, I tried again and still can't - I even tried with a different linked account that I haven't used before...... just get same "technical difficulties" message almost immediately when I submit the form!

Saying that, must be something wrong with my account because I can't withdraw money either... arrrggh! haven't been able to for days
    I can't seem to open Issue 30 either, using Chrome. When I click submit it thinks about it for a while then says "Sorry there has been an error".

I tried twice and same result both times. However I have received an acknowledgement email for both applications, so they might have gone through. Not showing under my existing login yet though.
  • niceyl
    niceyl Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Did Tesco send anyone else a voucher for a decent amount of clubcard points this month? I did wonder if it was a bribe to stay with them after cancelling my direct debits.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    niceyl wrote: »
    Did Tesco send anyone else a voucher for a decent amount of clubcard points this month? I did wonder if it was a bribe to stay with them after cancelling my direct debits.

No, I received £7 off £50 and two £5 off £50 vouchers to encourage me to spend even more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback