Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• That's the furry moron cleaned out (ungrateful beast never thanks me).

All the bins in the house have been emptied, recycling sorted from household waste, etc. Our rubbish bin is now full even though it was only emptied yesterday and it's two weeks before they come again :(. So a trip to the tip is going to be needed before too long :(.

I've also put some more towels on to wash, it's like running a hotel, only with no payment :mad:.

DH and DS1 are clearing some of the clutter in DS1's room atm. It's a work in progress as DS1 can hoard for Britain. I dread to think what they'll uncover :eek:.

I'm resting now as I've done 9,929 steps so far. It helps that absent mindedness keeps sending me up to my bedroom and it's two flights of stairs!
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,276 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Glad you had a productive wander yesterday - I thought of you yesterday when I had my own wander around a local town and had a rummage round some of the charity shops - didn't buy anything though.

Hope you've had a good day today :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 April 2018 at 4:05PM
    Thanks SA :). You were strong not buying anything in the charity shops.

In total I did 13,120 steps, 35 floors and 5.49 miles yesterday. Today won't be as impressive as I haven't been out anywhere so far.

I've planted narcissi, marigolds, geraniums and pansies in pots today. It kept showering off and on so I got a bit muddy and damp! They look lovely though :). The clearing up afterwards always seems to take longer than the potting :mad:.

Since then I've changed our bedding and washed DS2's bedding (he's always changing his sheets!).

DH and DS1 have been carrying on with de-cluttering DS1's room. His desk and futon chair are clear now and much of the floor :T. If they do a bit every week it will be transformed soon :T. I sorted out the stuff DS1 didn't want into rubbish, recycling and charity piles. The rubbbish and recycling are in the outside bins and the charity stuff is bagged up and ready to be dropped off next Saturday :beer:.

We all feel tired now so I'm glad we're going to my parents for dinner.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,249 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Enjoy your time at your parents :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You've been a whirlwind today Hairy! Well done on the books - Dead Man's Folly was one of the first Agatha Christie books I read as a teenager - bought it from a second hand book stall at our local market!

Enjoy your meal tonight with your family.

P.S. I agree that the furry moron is a very ungrateful bunny!:)
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds like a very busy day HH and family. Hope you had a lovely dinner.

One of the books have arrived , look forward to reading it.
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Enjoy your time at your parents :)

Thanks Beanie :)
    You've been a whirlwind today Hairy! Well done on the books - Dead Man's Folly was one of the first Agatha Christie books I read as a teenager - bought it from a second hand book stall at our local market!

Enjoy your meal tonight with your family.

P.S. I agree that the furry moron is a very ungrateful bunny!:)

I've got a vintage copy of Dead Man's Folly but this was a newr edition with lovely cover artwork. It is one of my favourite Christies :).
    Sounds like a very busy day HH and family. Hope you had a lovely dinner.

One of the books have arrived , look forward to reading it.

Thanks :). I hope you like the book Cumbria, I'll feel bad if you hate it :o
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I had to find my copy of it last night, hadn't read it for ages. I think the butler did it.

Actually it amused me as I had spent half of the evening reading and watching blogs about style and clothes (rosa bernica recommended this one over on DIAs diary) and there is Poirot musing about how very few women look attractive in shorts from behind :p
  • and there is Poirot musing about how very few women look attractive in shorts from behind :p

Ogden Nash:

What's the Use?

Sure, deck your limbs in pants;
    Yours are the limbs, my sweeting.
    You look divine as you advance --
    Have you seen yourself retreating?
  • I had to find my copy of it last night, hadn't read it for ages. I think the butler did it.

Actually it amused me as I had spent half of the evening reading and watching blogs about style and clothes (rosa bernica recommended this one over on DIAs diary) and there is Poirot musing about how very few women look attractive in shorts from behind :p
    Ogden Nash:

What's the Use?

Sure, deck your limbs in pants;
    Yours are the limbs, my sweeting.
    You look divine as you advance --
    Have you seen yourself retreating?

Admittedly Christie can be a bit dated :rotfl: :eek: but I love the insights into people's minds and what causes then to commit murder. Miss Marple is my favourite with her views about human nature (very accurate imo).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure