I already hold one current account with Halifax, would Lloyd's be a good 2nd?

I plan to upgrade to a Reward account soon, but also I am considering setting up a second current account after reading on here having more than one account can be helpful.

Would Lloyd's be a good bank to get a second account with?

Also, what are the chances of them giving me a current account rather than just a basic account considering 1. My Halifax account has no debts to it, ie no overdrafts being used and 2. Experian gave me a credit score of 'Fair'?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The recommendation on here is typically to have current accounts with more than one banking group in order to offer protection against your money being unavailable either accidentally (e.g. system issues, etc) or deliberately (e.g. accounts being suspended, etc), but, as Lloyds and Halifax are both part of Lloyds Banking Group then the value of having accounts with both of them would be limited, so you'd be better going elsewhere for your second.

Basic bank accounts are intended for those who can't get a full current account, so if you already have a current account then it's very unlikely that any bank you apply to would offer you a basic account, i.e. if they decline your application you won't be offered a basic account in lieu of the better one as you'll have to declare your first account during the application process.
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Basic bank accounts are intended for those who can't get a full current account, so if you already have a current account then it's very unlikely that any bank you apply to would offer you a basic account, i.e. if they decline your application you won't be offered a basic account in lieu of the better one as you'll have to declare your first account during the application process.

No entirely true I am afraid. I have four full bank accounts. I applied for a Nationwide account (as a switcher account) and advised I had an account elsewhere, they then declined my application but offered me their basic account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure