Dispute over who owns late mothers possessions

Options
Looking for Any advice Really.

So my mother passed away from cancer last year. I’m an only child and we were very close. My mom had recently taken my dad back after he left her for someone else a few months after her terminal diagnosis (what a nice man). She told us she just didn’t want to die alone and didn’t want me to be parentless, even though I’d said I’ve hated him for years so don’t worry about it. He’s a drinker drug user womaniser who didn’t contribute much to the household physically or finacially and I was happier when he left.

That’s just a bit of back ground to understand why I’m here. So my mom left everything to me in her will. Except 20% of her pension which she left to him as the tax if I’d received the whole thing would of been more than the share she gave to him. So she had left him that plus the £49k on their life insurance (which she tried but couldn’t leave to me) plus his half of the house.

Unfortunately the solicitors who drafted her will ballsed up and didn’t change the deed on the house so he inherited it via suvivourship, despite knowing she had left him half and him agreeing to that while she was alive.

As I lived with them I had to move out as he decided to let me know that the house was his and I had no right to be there, also he started seeing the women he was seeing before within weeks of my moms death, bought a flash new car with the money left and informed me that he was willing to take me the executor to court to pay for the joint loan they still had together. so I had move out to a friends house (with my kids).

I went to the house the other day to collect some photo albums from the loft as I knew he wouldn’t miss them or even know they were there. When I got there, every shred of evidence in the house, like hung photos of my mother’s were gone. He’s taken them all down, and my moms suitcase was in the hall (he’d been on holiday) with his new girlfriends clothes in. So I took every photo album I could find and just left. The reason for this is that things are just things at the end of the day but those photos hold memories and that means more to me.

I went back today to collect some mail which I regularly do and I found the locks changed. He’s done this once before but his family gave me a key.

My question is where do I stand legally on the contents of the house? My dad owns only the tv in the living room, everything else is my moms and I can prove recipets for almost everything? Do I have any right to those things as the beneficiary of her estate? Or are both her and my stuff now his as they are still in the house?

I’m more Interested in all my baby things and my children’s baby things. The things that hold memories. Tv’s and beds etc are less of a concern to me.

Any advice would be much appreciated TIA

Comments

• Jaywood89
    Jaywood89 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options

So my mother passed away from cancer last year. I’m an only child and we were very close. My mom had recently taken my dad back after he left her for someone else a few months after her terminal diagnosis (what a nice man). She told us she just didn’t want to die alone and didn’t want me to be parentless, even though I’d said I’ve hated him for years so don’t worry about it. He’s a drinker drug user womaniser who didn’t contribute much to the household physically or finacially and I was happier when he left.

That’s just a bit of back ground to understand why I’m here. So my mom left everything to me in her will. Except 20% of her pension which she left to him as the tax if I’d received the whole thing would of been more than the share she gave to him. So she had left him that plus the £49k on their life insurance (which she tried but couldn’t leave to me) plus his half of the house.

Unfortunately the solicitors who drafted her will ballsed up and didn’t change the deed on the house so he inherited it via suvivourship, despite knowing she had left him half and him agreeing to that while she was alive.

As I lived with them I had to move out as he decided to let me know that the house was his and I had no right to be there, also he started seeing the women he was seeing before within weeks of my moms death, bought a flash new car with the money left and informed me that he was willing to take me the executor to court to pay for the joint loan they still had together. so I had move out to a friends house (with my kids).

I went to the house the other day to collect some photo albums from the loft as I knew he wouldn’t miss them or even know they were there. When I got there, every shred of evidence in the house, like hung photos of my mother’s were gone. He’s taken them all down, and my moms suitcase was in the hall (he’d been on holiday) with his new girlfriends clothes in. So I took every photo album I could find and just left. The reason for this is that things are just things at the end of the day but those photos hold memories and that means more to me.

I went back today to collect some mail which I regularly do and I found the locks changed. He’s done this once before but his family gave me a key.

My question is where do I stand legally on the contents of the house? My dad owns only the tv in the living room, everything else is my moms and I can prove recipets for almost everything? Do I have any right to those things as the beneficiary of her estate? Or are both her and my stuff now his as they are still in the house?

I’m more Interested in all my baby things and my children’s baby things. The things that hold memories. Tv’s and beds etc are less of a concern to me.

• Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Jaywood89 wrote: »

Did she leave a valid will or die intestate? If she died intestate then all the possessions pass to her husband.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    This is a duplicate post. Please delete it.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Have you had any compensation from the solicitors?
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Sorry should of added more detail.

Yes my mother left a valid will

And the solicitor who helped me deal with the estate advised me to take them to court but I!!!8217;ve been sceptical about Persueing it as it could cost £1000!!!8217;s and I!!!8217;m not guaranteed to win.

I have emails in which my mom corresponded with the solicitors instructing then to ensure all her possesions including her property passed to me, but they didn!!!8217;t follow through on the act and instead sent her (what looks like junk emails) but bless actually a leaflet on types of deeds of houses, my mom replied with I haven!!!8217;t got time to read all those panflets can you just do it please.

Was never done.

So I!!!8217;m not sure I even have a case there. My mom was a very smart women but she became very ill in the last 6 months of life as the cancer spread to her brain she struggled a lot with concentration. She had planned to re write it but died before her appointment to rewrite.
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    I!!!8217;m note sure how. I don!!!8217;t know why it posted twice
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She had planned to re write it but died before her appointment to rewrite.

So what did the last valid will actually say about her estate and her possessions?
    Although if you were living there and you left things behind that belong to you such as your children's baby things, that's nothing to do with the will anyway, that's just you reclaiming your own possessions.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Thanks for reply.

I’m the named executor and beneficenry if all her possesions and estate. That’s pretty much how the will reads

My question regarding my own possessions was more if I can’t get In to claim her things then I’m guessing I can’t get in to claim my own.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Thanks for reply.

I’m the named executor and beneficenry if all her possesions and estate. That’s pretty much how the will reads

My question regarding my own possessions was more if I can’t get In to claim her things then I’m guessing I can’t get in to claim my own.
    If there is a valid will as you say then your father has stolen the house contents and probably committed burglary. You need to contact the police. You may have to really stand your ground. Don.t let him get away with it!
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Don’t know if it makes any difference but my parents aren’t married
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business