Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• lloydee1983
    lloydee1983 Posts: 14 Forumite
    My new contract only started yesterday, 50mb broadband only £23 a month. Virgin called today and after all the smoke had cleared, they offered me 100mb broadband, with weekend calls, mix tv . £24.50 a month. Thought yeah I will have that, they tried adding a £25 activation fee , but I was having none of it. They eventually waived it. Currently waiting for confirmation and equipment is being delivered on Wednesday.
  • lloydee1983
    I'm not too sure about the calls, but I'm assuming it's weekend calls. Don't need it as I have unlimited mobile plan.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My new contract only started yesterday, 50mb broadband only £23 a month. Virgin called today and after all the smoke had cleared, they offered me 100mb broadband, with weekend calls, mix tv . £24.50 a month. Thought yeah I will have that, they tried adding a £25 activation fee , but I was having none of it. They eventually waived it. Currently waiting for confirmation and equipment is being delivered on Wednesday.

Out of interest what prompted them to call you a day after your new contract started? Thank you
  • lloydee1983
    I have no idea. One thing I have noticed is that whenever I have been on 50mb broadband they have always tried to get me off it , even if the upgraded speed is same price or very slightly more in this case. One point the 50mb was scrapped for a while then they brought it back. Now they have brought in that new 350mb broadband, so they may well scrap the 50mb again and try to upgrade people to at least 100mb.
  • Further more they have been trying to get me on a TV , broadband and phone line package for ages. This is most likely the reason, so I don't go elsewhere like sky. I'm finished with sky long time ago now.
  • sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My Virgin package is up for renewal at the end of the month. Of course the price is about to soar. I do not really want to leave them but cannot do current plan of cost. It's due to go from £50 a month to £69 and then £72 in October. Now I know the same package is available for new customers at £54 for new customers. Sky have offered me £44 a month for similar. Sky is actually not possible as a dish is contrary to our terms and condition of lease of my flats.
    As I say I'd rather not leave and want to negotiate a better deal with Virgin I would appreciate tips on how to get best deal when I call them hopefully tomorrow. I believe a morning call is more likely to get a uk operator. Any more tips or advice please.
  • Anon
    sheeps68 wrote: »
    My Virgin package is up for renewal at the end of the month. Of course the price is about to soar. I do not really want to leave them but cannot do current plan of cost. It's due to go from £50 a month to £69 and then £72 in October. Now I know the same package is available for new customers at £54 for new customers. Sky have offered me £44 a month for similar. Sky is actually not possible as a dish is contrary to our terms and condition of lease of my flats.
    As I say I'd rather not leave and want to negotiate a better deal with Virgin I would appreciate tips on how to get best deal when I call them hopefully tomorrow. I believe a morning call is more likely to get a uk operator. Any more tips or advice please.

You need to put in your notice, then await the call from Outbound retentions. Don't mention you are not able to get Sky as they don't know that as you just reduce your chances. Just say you are looking at options elsewhere, including Sky as they are cheaper.
  • Gummomarx
    Gummomarx Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April 2018 at 12:33PM
    On Friday, I spoke to Michael ('Thinking of leaving us') - he said he'd text me a new offer (£2pm reduction with £30 credit) - the text didn't arrive.

At 10:50am today, I spoke to Gary ('Thinking of leaving us') who also said he'd text me a new offer (upped the credit to £50) - once again: no text.

PS: Gary claimed the best deals on this forum were impossible.
  • Anon
    Gummomarx wrote: »
    On Friday, I spoke to Michael ('Thinking of leaving us') - he said he'd text me a new offer (£2pm reduction with £30 credit) - the text didn't arrive.

At 10:50am today, I spoke to Gary ('Thinking of leaving us') who also said he'd text me a new offer (upped the credit to £50) - once again: no text.

PS: Gary claimed the best deals on this forum were impossible.

Why do they need to text you a new offer? Or is that confirmation of what they offered?

His team cannot offer the deals shown on here - only Outbound ret notions can access the better deals.
  • Gummomarx
    Gummomarx Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    They are text confirmations of their offers only. I'd asked them to email them but they said they're expected to text them instead.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback