Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fenella8
    • By fenella8 7th Nov 19, 11:44 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fenella8
    Nelly
    • 7th Nov 19, 11:44 AM
    Nelly 7th Nov 19 at 11:44 AM
    As a financial numpty, I would appreciate advice on an ISA. This ISA matured back in May, and was then converted by the building society concerned into a very low-interest ISA. I see that I can now get better rates in several savings accounts, but advice is to never close an ISA. How would I accomplish transferring the ISA cash into a savings account, please? Thank you for help
Page 1
    • grumiofoundation
    • By grumiofoundation 7th Nov 19, 1:30 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    grumiofoundation
    • 7th Nov 19, 1:30 PM
    • 7th Nov 19, 1:30 PM
    As a financial numpty, I would appreciate advice on an ISA. This ISA matured back in May, and was then converted by the building society concerned into a very low-interest ISA. I see that I can now get better rates in several savings accounts, but advice is to never close an ISA. How would I accomplish transferring the ISA cash into a savings account, please? Thank you for help
    Originally posted by fenella8
    The advice never to close an ISA is because when you do the money loses its tax-free ISA “status”

If you want to move the money into a (non-ISA?) savings account then the money will lose this anyway however it is transferred. This means you are then liable to be taxed on any interest (subject to tax-free personal allowance).

If you want to transfer to a different ISA (Cash, sticks and shares etc) then find an ISA that accepts transfers in.

The interest rates on easy access cash ISAs and savings accounts are pretty similar at the moment so if that is what you are after likely no real advantage to not keeping money under the ISA wrapper.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,946Users online

Martin's Twitter