Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hubb
    • By hubb 18th Oct 19, 11:15 AM
    • 2,028Posts
    • 385Thanks
    hubb
    Royal mail item lost my item sent
    • 18th Oct 19, 11:15 AM
    Royal mail item lost my item sent 18th Oct 19 at 11:15 AM
    A buyer has contacted me saying an item I sent on the 4th has still not arrived. I have a certificate of postage and the item sold for 6.99 and I paid 3 postage. As this has never happened before will the royal mail refund the buyer as its not my fault ? Ebay have also charged me a fee on this sale which I need back if it doesn't turn up.

Should I ask the buyer to give it longer ?
    Last edited by hubb; 18-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Page 3
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 8th Nov 19, 11:47 AM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Is that ethical ?
    Originally posted by hubb
    Frank question but what do you hope to achieve for an answer?

Is the tracking always correct? Sadly not.

Does Royal Mail carrying out an "investigation" and saying it was delivered guarantee the buyer had it the parcel? Again sadly not.

You can either ignore or refund. Whether Royal Mail would pay out on a claim in this situation I don't think anyone can say for sure.

How long they've been a member and their feedback doesn't really mean much.

I can only offer musings on the subject as no one knows for sure but some people are down right dishonest, some chance their arm once in a while and don't think it's dishonest, some receive something that has a problem and think it's easier to claim non-receipt and may even feel it isn't dishonest because they were wronged first.

Some parcels are left in bushes, bins or on door steps and disappear, some go to neighbours who don't bother to pass them on to the right person, some are delivered and then put in the cupboard by a partner who forgets all about it.

The possibilities are endless really and you can never really know what happened.

Again being frank if you can't sleep at night just refund the 7 or 10 the buyer paid
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Nov 19, 1:41 PM
    • 62,925 Posts
    • 45,300 Thanks
    soolin
    With apologies to hubb for a mini hijack, I am now in exactly the same situation. My item is sub 6 so my dilemma is refund out of my own pocket or potentially get a negative.mine is a large letter and easily letter box size.

I use a barcoded business mail for my items and even my large letters have full delivery confirmation. The item shows as delivered at the right time (according to the buyer) for the usual post and was delivered from the correct delivery office, the address was completely correct. Buyer is an established buyer, no hints at any issues yet they are adamant they did not receive it.

RM won't do anything (this was uninsured anyway due to the service i use) and a quick email to,them confirmed that as far as they are concerned the item was delivered.

Buyer wants me to sort this out so they are not out of pocket, they haven't opened a case as they know they can't win . I'm currently having a think where to go from here.

EDIT: I've just had a chat with ebay and they are insistent that I should not refund as they appeared to suggest it makes nonsense of the seller protection. They said I should assist the buyer if they wish to pursue the matter with Royal Mail , they also said (but I'm not holding my breath) that if the buyer leaves me a negative I can have it removed as they have not opened a case.
    Last edited by soolin; 08-11-2019 at 2:23 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 8th Nov 19, 2:20 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks

Buyer wants me to sort this out so they are not out of pocket, they haven't opened a case as they know they can't win . I'm currently having a think where to go from here.
    Originally posted by soolin
    They should open a case regardless, eBay will close in your favour which protects you from bad feedback and the buyer can appeal to eBay which may see a goodwill refund if the buyer doesn't have a history.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Nov 19, 3:58 PM
    • 62,925 Posts
    • 45,300 Thanks
    soolin
    They should open a case regardless, eBay will close in your favour which protects you from bad feedback and the buyer can appeal to eBay which may see a goodwill refund if the buyer doesn't have a history.
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    They won't open a case as they said they know they can't win it- and ebay have said there is no way I can force them to open a case if they refuse.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 8th Nov 19, 4:09 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    ]They won't open a case as they said they know they can't win it-[/B] and ebay have said there is no way I can force them to open a case if they refuse.
    by soolin;76474618[B
    Seems funny how they know that then. The average buyer shouldn't have a clue until it happens.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Nov 19, 4:33 PM
    • 62,925 Posts
    • 45,300 Thanks
    soolin
    Seems funny how they know that then. The average buyer shouldn't have a clue until it happens.
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    This looks like a very established buyer - but who knows, my OH reckons I am a soft touch but this time I'm not just refunding, I'm holding my nerve.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • lindens
    • By lindens 11th Nov 19, 10:42 AM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    lindens
    Soolin sounds more like someone else in the house took the parcel in and has forgotten to tell the buyer. This has happened to me as a buyer as well and I was very embarrassed!
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

2,992Users online

Martin's Twitter