Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 13,938Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 7:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 7:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £845 SPC 13 -
Page 32
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 16th Oct 19, 5:07 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Went into my local hobbycraft today they had fill your own advent calendars kids designs for £5.00. Bought some sweets to go in stockings in home bargains for 89p.

I can recommend plamil so free vegan advent calendar, had it last year and the chocolates tasted amazing. It’s Free from dairy, gluten, wheat and nuts.
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    Save for Christmas 2020 £1 a day challenge, 18 - Treasurequeen £ / £366
    • Jewels1207
    • By Jewels1207 17th Oct 19, 8:26 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Jewels1207
    Hi everyone. I've bought all my nieces and nephews gifts now and have got the majority of things in for my 2 DSs.
    Now starting on the adults presents and am doing couples hampers with useful things rather than just buy meaningless presents. So was thinking jammies, blanket/throw, nice biscuits, chocs, wax melts. I was at a shopping centre yesterday and they had novelty coasters which I got for them all. They had peaky blinders which my dad loves, game of thrones which my mum loves and Disney ones which I got for some of the girls. They also had Del Boy and Rodney ones (we call my BIL Rodney because he's so tall and skinny) so I got him that one and got my FIL Mrs Brown's boys lol.
    I'm looking for ideas of what else I could add to the hampers?
    I'm going to add beauty bits for the ladies, like face masks, bath bombs etc. Any ideas where's best to get these kind of thing? Had a wee look in Primark yesterday and didn't really see anything.
    Any couples hampers suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks x
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 17th Oct 19, 10:36 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Not a lot of progress for me but I have had my tesco delivery so now have a pack of nibbles, some more chocolate coins and a packet of cookies for my food stash.

Eldest's birthday at the end of the month and I've got him three things of the 5 of my list. Once he's done I'll be able to focus on Christmas
    DFBX19 #148 - 28/11/2019 - £3,256/£4,782 68% gone Total Debts cleared Oct 2018- Oct 2019 - £6,247
    November NST #20 - SPC-13 #136
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 17th Oct 19, 10:51 AM
    • 4,165 Posts
    • 18,563 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Things are a movin' here now! Thanks for suggestions for winter hampers, was going to buy baskets to put them in, but think I will just buy some bags.

Some of family in Egypt are emigrating to Canada, I have known for a while, but their parents hadn't been told. They are now in a panic as it will be a tad cold when they get there in Feb, not used to that! I won £120 on lottery last night, so will use that to get stuff for them, not going to get expensive but enough to ensure they are not too cold and they can then decide what they need once they become aclimatised to the change in weather and have settled in. Not been to Canada for years, so guess where I am going next year!

Have got my Christmas cards, will try & get them written up this weekend, that will be another job out of the way. This year will be the latest I have ever gone home, can't get off work until the Monday evening as there will be no one in the office, can't say I relish getting home on Christmas Eve afternoon/evening and hoping like hell there won't be weather issues which would cancel my sailing.
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 17th Oct 19, 12:26 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Beshki
    Thanks. One is an IPhone and the other a Huwai. One for a friend and other for my Grandad. I just hope they donít put them back up to full price just before Christmas

I am struggling for ideas for my Grandma. She is housebound, not mobile etc & very poorly. She canít Ďdoí anything, which limits me massively. She canít eat so canít go down the treat foods route. Canít focus on reading so no books, has all the things that she needs...I am stumped. I am really against buying for the sake of buying, but sheís very important to me so Iíll need to think of something.
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 17th Oct 19, 1:06 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Just had a brainwave and ordered a personalised tree ornament for our friends who moved into their new home earlier this year. I had been struggling with what to get them and this is lovely and only cost me £8 so bargain too.....hopefully it'll go down well, alongside the obligatory box of chocolates I always get them! I had a budget of £15 for them so I'm pleased with that!
    DFBX19 #148 - 28/11/2019 - £3,256/£4,782 68% gone Total Debts cleared Oct 2018- Oct 2019 - £6,247
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 17th Oct 19, 1:24 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Thanks. One is an IPhone and the other a Huwai. One for a friend and other for my Grandad. I just hope they donít put them back up to full price just before Christmas

I am struggling for ideas for my Grandma. She is housebound, not mobile etc & very poorly. She canít Ďdoí anything, which limits me massively. She canít eat so canít go down the treat foods route. Canít focus on reading so no books, has all the things that she needs...I am stumped. I am really against buying for the sake of buying, but sheís very important to me so Iíll need to think of something.
    Originally posted by Beshki
    My Dad was like this towards the end of his life and I know how difficult it can be. Does she have anything to watch movies on? Maybe some classic movies on DVD? Or what about some books on tape/CD and a little player? A blanket or some slippers to keep her warm in the winter? Something pretty for her room like a picture, cushion or rug? Do you have a picture of the family you could frame for her? I was told to encourage my Dad to drink so what about a tea selection? Or a mug?
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 17th Oct 19, 4:24 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Heroes bought today and some turkey stuffing crisps from Tesco will be stored away in Christmas cupboard later on. Thermals bought as I’m feeling the cold, went for men’s ones in the end as the ladies ones weren’t long enough and they were cheaper too.

Hope everyone is ok x
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    Save for Christmas 2020 £1 a day challenge, 18 - Treasurequeen £ / £366
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 17th Oct 19, 5:47 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 29,153 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    If anyone needs clothes from George at Asda there is currently 25% off instore only until the 21st. Only found out when I took a tshirt to the till. Didn't see any obvious signage
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 18th Oct 19, 8:03 AM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 13,621 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    sorry for long absence. hope all is going well for Christmas with you all. Havent read back yet, but will try to do so this weekend when things may be a little quieter.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 23,856 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I too am off the mark. Spent £23 on 3 different ornaments that my mum commented on the last time she was down, so I know she'll love them.

Stokie - Well spotted with the discount at George, too!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • mandco
    • By mandco 19th Oct 19, 4:20 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 10,053 Thanks
    mandco
    GTQ congrats on the win sorry to hear you can't get away earlier at xmas fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and there are no serious delays.

MrsI good to see you RL gets in the way sometimes but I hope you've been doing ok

Beshki what kind of budget do you have for your Grandma?
    does she have anything like the amazon dot??

M&s stag shortbread tins have an extra £1 off so are currently £4 down from £10 they also had the musical xmas tree tins for £5

Got the elf icecream from asda they also had various xmas baking kits and sprinkles. Picked up the xmas, holly/berry & snowflake sprinkles for our xmas baking

Ikea have the gingerbread dough in so picked up some of that too

Lots of smaller bits being ticked off my list lately but its good to see it getting smaller.

Got the zoomizooz tree house for gdg £15 off in argos plus 500 nectar points cheapest I've seen so happy with that. Picked up a couple of the animal sets to go with it in the sains toys sale too so that is her finished.

Was going to get a couple of bits in the george 25% off but the offer has crashed the system in my local store and it wouldn't go through this morning so they were having to do it manually at customer service and I didn't have time to wait.

Popped into the range this week and wow they have so much xmas stock some really pretty decorations too.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 19th Oct 19, 8:18 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Beshki
    Thank you to those who have responded to my question re my Gran. I donít really have a budget for her - she is poorly and Iím really aware that I wonít have her forever so I donít mind what I spend on her, so long as itíll be used or enjoyed. For one of her presents I really want to get her some sheepers slippers as I know she would really love them - but theyíre sheepskin and Iím vegan and it just doesnít sit right
    • bunty109
    • By bunty109 19th Oct 19, 8:34 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 3,398 Thanks
    bunty109
    Thank you to those who have responded to my question re my Gran. I donít really have a budget for her - she is poorly and Iím really aware that I wonít have her forever so I donít mind what I spend on her, so long as itíll be used or enjoyed. For one of her presents I really want to get her some sheepers slippers as I know she would really love them - but theyíre sheepskin and Iím vegan and it just doesnít sit right
    Originally posted by Beshki
    Lakeland do a lovely heated foot muff: got one for my MIL last year and she loved it. I would think they're not sheepskin either
    MFW 2019#24 £9474.89/£11000 MFW 2018#24 £23025.41/£15000
    MFi3 v5 #53 £12531/
    MFi3 v4 #53 £59442/£39387
    • alja
    • By alja 19th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    alja
    Beshki .. I hope you find some nice alternative ones! Slippers sound like a lovely idea! I'm trying to incorporate more vegan options into my life at the moment. I'd love to know what your go-to vegan options are for Christmas!? I'm hoping to pick up the M&S chocolate and coconut drink soon!

I've changed up what I'm giving my friends this year. I was going to do the "senses" theme, but was finding it difficult, so I might save that theme and the ideas so far for OH's birthday next year maybe! I'm going to get them all different presents now. I'm trying to get some beauty/foodie bits and then a little something for each of them that really personalises it for each of them. E.g. cats for the cat person, bunnies for the bunny person, gin for the gin lover etc.

Picked up some funny named beers for my dad at a local garden centre the other night, along with a bookmark for a friend.

Just need to get cracking on ideas for OH's mum. Don't know where to begin just yet... so will get thinking this evening

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend!
    Save £6k in 2019 - £6400/£6k #83
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 19th Oct 19, 10:41 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 36,195 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, Iíve spent enough on Christmas and Foodbank food so no more for this month. But have got lots of bargains and only 3 more items needed for the foodbank reverse advent, so a big chunk done. The ladies who said about the pjs I bought for DS, do you remember the song from LMFAO with the lyrics Ďeveryday Iím shufflingí ? Well itís pjs covered in Brussels sprouts with the words Ďeveryday Iím brussellingí I love the song so it completely tickles me and I know DS will do the dance moves

NIC Iím so glad you are still feeling brighter, and well done on the Brexit Box you sound more prepared than me atm

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY oh Iíve always wanted to go to Canada, wow they will feel the cold! Congrats on the lottery win. Iíll keep my fingers crossed the weather will be good for you on Christmas Eve

BESHKI what about a nice shawl, my Nan always felt cold around her shoulders and neck even when watching tv

MRSINVISIBLE lovely to hear from you, I have been thinking of you. Hope your family are all well

MANDCO thatís funny we were just talking about the ikea gingerbread dough today
    CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 20th Oct 19, 9:50 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I went in to town yesterday and managed to get some things ticked off.

First, Waterstones. Had a good look around their fiction, crime and history areas and took some photos of book covers for ones I think my Mum or Dad might like. Need to sit down and check them out this week before ordering them from the local book shop. Staff almost certainly thought I was doing it to buy them off Amazon XD

Then I went to an art shop for some inspiration for my sisters. Couldn't find anything for the eldest, buy the youngest is doing Fine Art at university at the moment and I spotted some small tubes of acrylic paint in really bright colours, so I bought a selection of those for her. Eldest sister is proving to be the hard-to-buy one this year!

And then in TK Maxx I found a lovely set of mini handcream tubes for Mum. The plastic casing they're in is a bit rubbish so I might decant them in to a nicer box if I can find one the right size. There's 6 or 7 tubes in it, all with different scents, so she can have them in the cars, in her handbag, in her bedroom, in the bathroom, in the kitchen - anywhere where she might want a handcream really! Also managed to get two nice scented candles there for her too.

Need to sit down and sort out my totals now. And rethink my ice cream sundae for my brother and his girlfriend as they've split up! So it's just a present for my brother on his own now. He's not a book person, and I don't know if he plays many video games or watches many DVDs any more. I could still do the hamper for him but since I did one last year when they were together I don't want to look like I'm reminding him of the break up. Will have a harder think!

Oh and me and DH have sorted out our London Christmas trip. We've booked tickets to go to the British Museum exhibition on Islamic art, and then we'll have dinner in Cote Brasserie. We did similar last year with another exhibition and had a lovely time so I'm really looking forward to it.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - £761.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 21st Oct 19, 1:11 AM
    • 11,086 Posts
    • 20,993 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Has anyone started wrapping yet?!
    As Iíve gone back to work now time to wrap between now and Christmas is going to be few and far between so Iíve spent most of today wrapping, to add to the stuff I wrapped the other day. Iíve used 10 rolls of wrapping paper however Iím pleased to report I only have one bag of stuff left plus OHís teapot. That said however Iím sure I will find stuff I had forgotten about
    Iíve just given up counting what on earth Iíve bought. Iím very worried about the sizing of some things Iíve bought (OH- Lyle and Scott polo shirt, my brother said they come up small. OH- Jack Wills PJ bottoms- Extra Large but they donít look that big. OH- Ben Sherman shirt- I usually get him XL but Iíve got him XXL as they seemed quite a narrow fit) Im probably worrying over nothing the polo shirt looked plenty big enough to me, I just hope the shirt isnít comically massive!
    Definitely, definitely, definitely not buying anyone anything else!
    Open University 2:1 Graduate 2017; MA at DMU complete 2018- MERIT!! Round 2 OU 2018- BSc Combined STEM (Sports Psychology) Year 1 PASS! E117 &DE100. Year 2- K220 and E235.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Civil Partnership 15/02/20
    Strictly 2019- TEAM RAMSEY!
    Elle
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 21st Oct 19, 7:23 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 29,153 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    I keep meaning to start wrapping as my storage cupboard is very disorganised so I think if I wrap it will be easier to manage haha but always find something else that needs doing. I also need to get myself sorted making the Christmas cards. Feel very behind on that front this year.

Hope all your sizes are ok Mrs Ryan. I won't buy clothes for anyone apart from other half unless they specifically tell me as I am always so worried about getting sizes wrong.

Think the Tu clothing 25% off starts again tomorrow in Sainsburys. Typical as bought a few bits last week from there.

I have one thing left to get my Dad and then I think I am done! Although I usually end up buying more anyway

Might do some wrapping today after I have been to the post office. Time is going a bit too quickly and days off are going to become fewer and far between in the run up to Christmas and don't want to end up struggling to get it done
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 21st Oct 19, 1:28 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    aimeemum
    I don't like to wrap until it's closer to the time I'm due to give the gift - otherwise I forget what I've bought! lol This year I'm going to need to be a bit more prepped than usual as I've got my first family get-together on the 1st of December!

Friends and neighbours I do mid month, then I do the kids and the rest of the family in last week of the school term lol.

I wish I could be a bit more organised but I do love to shop for gifts when the decorations are all up in the shops, the festive menus in the coffee shops etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,068Posts Today

6,742Users online

Martin's Twitter