Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 13,938Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 7:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 7:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £845 SPC 13 -
Page 29
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 5th Oct 19, 10:53 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Beshki
    Went to a local farm shop today, with a whole floor dedicated to Christmas. Such beautiful things, even being a ‘zero-stuff’ person I struggled not to purchase! Did see some bits for pressies though, but will have a think on them and buy in a couple of weeks - trying not to impulse buy!
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 6th Oct 19, 3:57 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Afternoon all. Happy belated birthday Free!

Nic, hope you're feeling better soon.

Not much further on with Christmas than the last time I posted. But I have bought the first present! Ordered a Liberty print magic wand from Etsy for my 5 year old niece. It is sooooo cute with different coloured ribbons and her initial embroidered on it. And I got it with free delivery cause I left it in my basket for a while and Etsy sent me a voucher (so only £10 for a great handcrafted item)!

Can't wait for the yearly visit to our local destination garden centre. They do amazing Christmas displays but they won't be fully out for another few weeks. Oh well I better be patient!
    ďIn 900 years of time and space, Iíve never met anyone who wasnít importantĒ
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • mandco
    • By mandco 6th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 10,053 Thanks
    mandco
    JJ dunelm have some nice sloth themed gifts https://www.dunelm.com/search/sloth

Nic sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time I hope the new meds are helping I know it can take a while for them to kick in but hope you are starting to feel better.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • alja
    • By alja 6th Oct 19, 7:50 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    alja
    I made an order on the superdrug website last night for some beauty bits my mum wants - face creams, scrubs, wash etc. We always use their vitamin e collection which is great. At the moment they're doing an offer where you buy 3 skincare products and you get a little free gift.

When I was in store the other week I bought 3 face masks, each 99p but also on 3 for 2. So I paid £1.98 and got 3 face masks and the little free gift too... might be handy for those of you looking to pick up a few little beauty gifts!
    Save £6k in 2019 - £6400/£6k #83
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 7th Oct 19, 7:18 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 18,151 Thanks
    nic2075
    Morning. Feeling a bit brighter this week. Thank you everyone for your kind words. Iíve been really trying this week to just take time for me. Light some candles and read. I have decorated a bit for October. Some nice pine cones, dried leaves, mini pumpkins and candles. Just looking at it all makes me feel more content. I do love this time of year.

I havenít started shopping properly. Just picking up stocking fillers. I have a few birthdays to get out the way in November, including one in December. So I always struggle to think of Christmas when I have birthday presents to buy first.
    • alja
    • By alja 7th Oct 19, 5:03 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    alja
    I've made a start on my friends' presents. There's 6 of them I buy for and usually I do them all the same thing. Nothing too expensive, but a few little things... (I spend about £5-£10 on each of them).

This year I'm hoping to do the "5 senses" gift theme - sight, sound, taste, touch and smell.

Has anyone done this before and have any suggestions of what I could get? I'd love to know what you've bought for this before if you have done it!

I've already ticked off "taste" with a cadburys Christmas edition chocolate bar (the one with the milk and white christmas trees on it). Just thinking of ideas for the other senses now!
    Save £6k in 2019 - £6400/£6k #83
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 7th Oct 19, 7:23 PM
    • 4,752 Posts
    • 29,127 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Alja never done that one but some ideas you could potentilly use.

Sight - picture frame so they can have a nice photo to look at
    - coloured kalaidoscope for a bit of fun
    - pocket mirror

Smell - scented candle
    - fruity bodywash
    - seeds to grow herbs

Touch - fidget cube/pen/gadget
    - stress ball

Sound - headphones for them to listen to their music
    - bluetooth speaker
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 8th Oct 19, 1:05 AM
    • 11,086 Posts
    • 20,993 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    You know you’ve bought too many presents when you’ve used five rolls of wrapping paper and aren’t even halfway to finishing I have four more rolls, I have a feeling that more will be required!
    Open University 2:1 Graduate 2017; MA at DMU complete 2018- MERIT!! Round 2 OU 2018- BSc Combined STEM (Sports Psychology) Year 1 PASS! E117 &DE100. Year 2- K220 and E235.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Civil Partnership 15/02/20
    Strictly 2019- TEAM RAMSEY!
    Elle
    • noodles86
    • By noodles86 8th Oct 19, 10:01 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    noodles86
    Free - glad you were able to treat yourself, I always find when I have money to treat myself, I can never find quite what I want!

JJ - I saw lots of sloth home items in New Look last week.

Nic - Sorry to hear you're not feeling yourself, I had a horrendous year last year, unfortunately I couldn't find any medication that suited me once the initial high wore off and the GP weren't any support other than sympathetic nods. I can't offer much than, try and look after yourself as much as possible, my biggest problem was learning to say no to things that caused me stress! It's still a work in progress. Just seen your latest post, my youngest is conkers mad at the moment, so we've made a little display with candles and conkers! maybe another thing to add, your display sounds lovely.

Beshki - That farmshop sounds amazing!

Clumsy42 - That garden centre also sounds amazing!

Would we be able to say where these amazing places are roughly?! I wanna go visit!

My eldest has started to try a few bits of make-up since she went to a party last week and her friend came over to get ready at ours. OMG I can't believe Boots have stopped doing the Seventeen range! Where do the youngsters get their make-up from now!? I feel a slight mourning for my youth! So now I'm looking for a reasonable make-up set that doesn't cost the earth! Does anyone have any experience of the revolution range at Superdrug? And if Superdrug ever do something similar to Bots star gift of the week?
    Spreading a little Christmas joy all year round
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 8th Oct 19, 10:09 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Free - glad you were able to treat yourself, I always find when I have money to treat myself, I can never find quite what I want!

JJ - I saw lots of sloth home items in New Look last week.

Nic - Sorry to hear you're not feeling yourself, I had a horrendous year last year, unfortunately I couldn't find any medication that suited me once the initial high wore off and the GP weren't any support other than sympathetic nods. I can't offer much than, try and look after yourself as much as possible, my biggest problem was learning to say no to things that caused me stress! It's still a work in progress. Just seen your latest post, my youngest is conkers mad at the moment, so we've made a little display with candles and conkers! maybe another thing to add, your display sounds lovely.

Beshki - That farmshop sounds amazing!

Clumsy42 - That garden centre also sounds amazing!

Would we be able to say where these amazing places are roughly?! I wanna go visit!

My eldest has started to try a few bits of make-up since she went to a party last week and her friend came over to get ready at ours. OMG I can't believe Boots have stopped doing the Seventeen range! Where do the youngsters get their make-up from now!? I feel a slight mourning for my youth! So now I'm looking for a reasonable make-up set that doesn't cost the earth! Does anyone have any experience of the revolution range at Superdrug? And if Superdrug ever do something similar to Bots star gift of the week?
    Originally posted by noodles86
    Avon used to do a range called Color Trend and I got all my makeup through my Mum (who was an avon lady) when I was a teenager. I think you can order online nowadays.
    https://www.avon.uk.com/301-322/make-up/color-trend?pn=1
    DFBX19 #148 - 28/11/2019 - £3,256/£4,782 68% gone Total Debts cleared Oct 2018- Oct 2019 - £6,247
    November NST #20 - SPC-13 #136
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 8th Oct 19, 12:42 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Beshki
    I can totally recommend MUA from Superdrug. I use it as it isnít tested on animals, but it also really decent and ridiculously cheap! I use their eyeshadow pallets & eye liner, mascara etc. Itís great.
    • heebie-jeebies
    • By heebie-jeebies 8th Oct 19, 12:59 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    heebie-jeebies
    May I join you ladies? I havenít read the whole thread though but love Christmas.

Iím a stay at home Mum to 2 toddlers (1 and 3) so looking forward to Christmas more than ever this year. Iíve started shopping already as I want to spread the cost as much as anything.

Iíve noticed matchmakers on offer in Tesco this week so have got a couple of boxes as stocking fillers.
    • mandco
    • By mandco 8th Oct 19, 1:06 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 10,053 Thanks
    mandco
    Dd uses the make revolution from superdrug she has loads of different products from the range.She really likes the foundation (which she doesn't even need)and it actually goes light enough for her skin tone. Its not the cheapest but they are always running offers on it 3 for 2 of free gift with total spend ect
    The MUA stuff is pretty good too esp for the price and its probably one of the best starter options.

I have a wedding to go to in a couple of weeks and have nothing to wear Its kinda fancy so totally out of my comfort zone finding something suitable that won't break the bank is top of my to do list this week

heard a rumor that boots are doing a xmas points event around the 16th not sure if its true but worth keeping an eye open
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • mandco
    • By mandco 8th Oct 19, 1:08 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 10,053 Thanks
    mandco
    welcome heebie-jeebies
    • noodles86
    • By noodles86 8th Oct 19, 1:21 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    noodles86
    Thank you aimeemum, beshki and mandco for your help, think I'll buy a few bits and some reusable flannel cloths etc for taking off!

Oooh mandco I feel your pain, at least a lot of the shops may now have party wear, which can be quite fancy. I quite like a look at TK Maxx's offerings. I hate buying something unless I know I'll wear it more than once! I think Dorothy Perkins has 25% off everything today too?

Hi newbie-jeebies
    • heebie-jeebies
    • By heebie-jeebies 8th Oct 19, 1:36 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    heebie-jeebies
    Dorothy Perkins often have nice dresses.

I buy my dresses from Popsy Clothing who have some lovely designs too.

Thank you for the welcome - particularly like newbie-jeebies!
    • noodles86
    • By noodles86 8th Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    noodles86
    Hahaha so sorry heebie! The wonderful spellcheck, why does it think it knows better?

I used to love Popsy dresses, however, I found they were always too short on me to feel comfortable (I'm 5'7" so hardly above average) and because of this weren't appropriate for work so stopped following them on facebook etc.
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 8th Oct 19, 2:36 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Noodles - the garden centre is Barton Grange near Preston. It's won many awards! Well worth a visit if you're not far from Lancashire.
    ďIn 900 years of time and space, Iíve never met anyone who wasnít importantĒ
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 8th Oct 19, 4:35 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 4,915 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Christmas plans have changed for me this year, my parents have just moved home (down sizing) a lot of work needs doing and the kitchen is dangerously wired. So my gran has decided to do Christmas dinner at hers as long as we can help her. So I’m planning to bring desert with me and my veggie option.

As I don’t drink alcohol in Sainsbury’s they had bottlgreen new flavoured cordials and fizzy drinks, Raspberry and elderflower is one of the ones I’ve got. They are on offer at the moment at £1.50 a bottle.
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    Save for Christmas 2020 £1 a day challenge, 18 - Treasurequeen £ / £366
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 8th Oct 19, 6:31 PM
    • 11,086 Posts
    • 20,993 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Dorothy Perkins often have nice dresses.

I buy my dresses from Popsy Clothing who have some lovely designs too.

Thank you for the welcome - particularly like newbie-jeebies!
    Originally posted by heebie-jeebies
    Yayyyyyy! Popsy in the wild!
    (Apologies If youíre not on the Facebook group it means hello fellow Popsy lover )
    Open University 2:1 Graduate 2017; MA at DMU complete 2018- MERIT!! Round 2 OU 2018- BSc Combined STEM (Sports Psychology) Year 1 PASS! E117 &DE100. Year 2- K220 and E235.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Civil Partnership 15/02/20
    Strictly 2019- TEAM RAMSEY!
    Elle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

2,099Users online

Martin's Twitter