Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 13,938Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 7:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 7:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £845 SPC 13 -
Page 28
    • Hancocks871
    • By Hancocks871 30th Sep 19, 3:53 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Hancocks871
    Ah maaaaan I wrote a big post and was logged out when I tried to share it!! ��
    TLR basically love Christmas, hate waste, 2 small boys, love crafting, trying not to spend much.

I have lots of ideas this year- one being saving loo roll middles to make my own crackers!

Would love to hear about any bargains of an eco-friendly nature that anyone’s found, and ways others are reducing their consumption this Christmas.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 30th Sep 19, 8:14 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 17,925 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome HANCOCKS871. Through bitter experience Iíve found itís best to either write posts in Word and copy and paste them over or, since Iíve been on the iPad, I copy the post every few minutes so that if I get timed out I can just paste it back again and then post straight away.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 30th Sep 19, 4:32 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 4,915 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Welcome HANCOCKS87,

Went into wilko's today and got my choc orange for 75p but I am tempted to eat it tonight.
    Bought some lovely wax lyrical bauble votive candles in TKmaxx for £1.29 for stocking fillers. They did it in two scents wintergreen and ski lodge. Ski lodge smells lovely wasn't keep on the wintergreen one. They can also be hung on tree too as they come boxed as a bauble. My local wilko hadn't got its Christmas stuff out yet which is disappointing.

How is everyone doing?
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    £2 saver club #21 £40.00/£250
    Save for Christmas 2020 £1 a day challenge, 18 - Treasurequeen £ / £366
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 1st Oct 19, 7:22 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 9,457 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    xxx happy birthday free xxx
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 1st Oct 19, 8:08 AM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 23,847 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Went into wilko's today and got my choc orange for 75p but I am tempted to eat it tonight.
    Bought some lovely wax lyrical bauble votive candles in TKmaxx for £1.29 for stocking fillers. They did it in two scents wintergreen and ski lodge. Ski lodge smells lovely wasn't keep on the wintergreen one. They can also be hung on tree too as they come boxed as a bauble. My local wilko hadn't got its Christmas stuff out yet which is disappointing.
    Originally posted by Treasurequeen
    I walked past my local Wilko's yesterday and saw tubs of celebrations for £3, which I think is the cheapest I've seen them? SM's tend to push them in the build up to Xmas but I thought they were £5. Is Wilko's any good for Xmas stuff? I don't think I've ever shopped in there.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 1st Oct 19, 8:30 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 17,925 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Happy Birthday to you, happy Birthday to you, happy Birthday dear Free-ee, happy Birthday to you Hope you have a fabulous day and get thoroughly spoilt!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • mandco
    • By mandco 1st Oct 19, 3:34 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 10,053 Thanks
    mandco
    Happy Birthday Freespirit

Welcome Hancocks871

Sainsburys xmas section is getting bigger picked up some xmas tree tortilla chips today.They have the xmas food to order magazine out too - £5 argos voucher on orders of £80+ before dec 2

Boots xmas mag is out but very disappointing this year

Saw the ads for the candy cane Gin & 6ft pig in blanket aldis are doing this year so will have to keep an eye open for those once they go on sale- stock sells out so fast in my nearest store
    also hoping to get the elf icecream from asda

Looking for cocktail hamper ideas- not a big drinker myself so any suggestions much appreciated
    Last edited by mandco; 01-10-2019 at 3:37 PM.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • junior_j
    • By junior_j 1st Oct 19, 3:37 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 19,590 Thanks
    junior_j
    Argh , I lost my reply too!

Will start doing regular copy and pastes.

Thank you for the brilliant sloth link.

I have got 3 days holiday booked from work to go further a field for Xmas present shopping. Also want to catch up with some loved ones. I am going to do my best to not go overboard this Xmas but I'm like an excited child with Xmas shopping.

I also have some birthdays end of December/beginning of January to buy for.

Wilkinson/ Asda / wait rose and tesco had some good deals with stuff like chocolates , selection boxes and Xmas sweets.

Thinking of doing some 'pots of gold' too.

Right , need a shower , fold the laundry and get to work. Have a great day everyone!
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
    • murie
    • By murie 1st Oct 19, 5:25 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 10,353 Thanks
    murie
    Happy Birthday Free xxxx
    lovin' this site!
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 1st Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 4,915 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Happy birthday Free, hope you’ve had a great day
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 1st Oct 19, 7:55 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 4,915 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    I walked past my local Wilko's yesterday and saw tubs of celebrations for £3, which I think is the cheapest I've seen them? SM's tend to push them in the build up to Xmas but I thought they were £5. Is Wilko's any good for Xmas stuff? I don't think I've ever shopped in there.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    One year I got half of my shopping in wilko as they had some lovely gifts but last year it was a bit of a hit and miss. Wilko has some good offers on confectionery sometimes too.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 2nd Oct 19, 12:59 AM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 36,195 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Hi everyone, thankyou so so much for the lovely birthday wishes. Iíve had a lovely day, kids all gave me money, as I said I was desperate for new clothes......all spent online within an hour lol! DS has done everything today from breakfast to dinner, DD2 came round and we all ate a SW dinner. DD1 is in Chernobyl I know, I know she loves weird things like that lol.
    Iíve just ordered her pjs for Christmas Eve. My Christmas food stash has ground to a halt as DD1 wants us to do a Brexit box! Will promise to get on here more x

VINTAGEHISTORIAN
    I did an ice cream and toppings hamper once for my Dd2 & partner, they absolutely loved it

PRINCESSKITTY your Santaís grotto visit sounds lovely. Yes Thumper is doing really well at school, seems to coping although so tired. Will find out results next week but still not good but thankyou x

LMG1305 I know he will be 5 at the end of this month! Thankyou, just hope dr can tell me what the problem is. Hope the house move goes well x

JJ sorry to hear you have been in and out of hospital again. Keep strong as always x

PEPPAPIG thankyou, I donít know if it is the fibro or not itís puzzling! The kids are like my carers atm 😧
    Yes we are all relieved Thumper has settled well, I know DD2 was worried sick. Your rudolf wreaths sound fab!

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY sorry to hear about your uncle. Hope you had a good holiday

NOODLES blimey that brought back some memories, Redwings, I sponsored a horse for each of the kids for years when they were little

MANDCO aww thankyou, oh that is good to hear that they donít talk about their day, he just says everything lol, what did you do today? Everything What did you like doing? I liked everything. Today DD2 friend text her to say Thumper had earned some housepoints so she asked him, what did you get housepoints for? Everything, what are housepoints mummy? Lol 😂

GYD bless your mum, I hope she is not suffering too much from side effects. Christmas is a good excuse for really nice food and treats
    CURRENTLY READING Trisha Ashley - A Good Heart is hard to find
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2019 £0.00
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2019- £160.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Hancocks871
    • By Hancocks871 2nd Oct 19, 9:35 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Hancocks871
    Aww thanks for all the welcomes.
    Anyone asking for monetary gifts this year? We want money towards buying a big tent to go on camping holidays in. Iím using this gift fund thing on Things To Get Me where you can send people a link and they can pay some money towards whatever youíre saving for. Being a bit vain, I want a bell tent lol which are really dear, but me and the hubís birthdays are in March too so Iím hopeful weíll have the money by Easter!

Iím making my own crackers. Going to nip to The Works today and see if they have any little wooden toys in their stand by the til. Iíve come up trumps for little bits and bobs there before. Has anyone seen anything anywhere else? I also need party bag fillers because itís eldestís birthday in December too!
    • junior_j
    • By junior_j 2nd Oct 19, 3:22 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 19,590 Thanks
    junior_j
    You day sounds lovely Free.

Guess what guys! I brought my first Xmas presents , ok ok , stocking stuffers but that's ok right ?

Make up remover wipes for mum. (69p) savers
    Hemp hand cream for best friend (99p) savers
    White chocolate kit Kat chunkys x4 (£1.00) Asda.

£2.68 I was rather pleased.

Also stocked up on my favourite coffee , nest cafe gold blend , usually £7.59 Asda but on offer for £4 so I got 2 jars.

Work tonight , still got to walk the dogs and have a shower.

Have a great day everyone
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
    • mandco
    • By mandco 3rd Oct 19, 4:52 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 10,053 Thanks
    mandco
    Glad you had a great day free

JJ stocking stuffers def count we all have to start somewhere

Picked up a xmas duvet set for taz today and discovered I have a dunelm store local its not in the main shopping area so never even realised it was there Didn't have time for a proper look around today but will def be going back as they had some really nice stuff picked up some large santa/reindeer bath ducks £2 each -3 times the size & half the price of the matalan ones I was looking at

Dd's glossybox advent calendar came today

Wasn't that impressed with the M&S xmas food offerings this year virtually no GF options other than the meats so not sure if I'll bother as its a bit of a hassle getting there for collection. Sains have a few bits I like the look of so might do an order with them instead.

DS passed his driving test and is getting a car this weekend so that gives me some more options for present ideas -Thinking maybe a winter car care hamper in case of breakdowns/bad weather as he has quite a long commute each day. Any suggestions much appreciated
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 4th Oct 19, 9:22 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 18,151 Thanks
    nic2075
    Belated happy birthday Freespirit hope you had a great day.

Not been online much at all. Having a rough time and had a bit of a break down last week. Been to the doctors and on different medication. Trying to help myself by staying away from negative pages, the news etc. This is always a positive forum so I made sure I came back to read all the lovely posts about Christmas.
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 4th Oct 19, 10:34 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Officially off the mark with the Christmas shopping. Up until now I've just been doing little bits but now I have my first bits for gifts and stockings as well Aiming to tick 4 things off each week until December.....which will be a big chunk of the little things knocked off my list. Makes me want to do all my Tesco orders for the next 2 months though

I love Wilko's but it can be a bit of a mixed bag. I love their household supplies though - can't beat them for cleaning products and things like that. They do some nice pocket money toys which make great stocking fillers/party bag fillers too.
    DFBX19 #148 - 28/11/2019 - £3,256/£4,782 68% gone Total Debts cleared Oct 2018- Oct 2019 - £6,247
    November NST #20 - SPC-13 #136
    • alja
    • By alja 4th Oct 19, 7:54 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    alja
    Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind me joining in? (I do try to pop my head into this thread each year, but not sure if anyone remembers me! Haha!)

My Christmas shopping is underway now and this year I'm really trying to reduce how much I spend... most years get a bit crazy really.

I've finished a couple of presents for some little people I know. I don't spend too much on their presents, so I just picked up a few bits from Poundland. Bogey gummy sweets (haha!), monster notebook and chocolate selection pack for one friend's son. And then my other friend's daughter has her birthday on Xmas day too! So I've bought her a notebook, matching pencil case and a Mr Men book for her birthday and then for Christmas I've picked up a Christmas colouring book, Christmas stickers and some of those famous Christmas piggie sweets from M+S (used a 50p off offer via the Sparks app to get those for £1.15).

I've started to pick up some bits for my parents as well, but still have OH, his mum, his younger brother, older brother & his girlfriend & their daughter, plus my friends to buy for... so plenty left to do!

I'll read back through all your posts later for inspiration
    Save £6k in 2019 - £6400/£6k #83
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 4th Oct 19, 11:39 PM
    • 4,746 Posts
    • 29,097 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Sending you hugs Nic. Hope the new meds level things out better for you and that you feel a bit more yourself soon!

Christmas wise I think I am mostly done. A few bits still to pick up but I know mostly what I am getting - then will come the wrapping marathon! Need a good tidy up of my christmas storage it's all over the place.

Say it every year but definitely well over budget again and that is with having won a few bits to use towards Christmas - it's not unaffordable though else I definitely would be a lot more careful with the pennies. Helps we have a pot running throufghout the year for the Christmas spends. Will top it back up with my overtime money that will come in over the next couple of months.

Also had an expensive splurge on new waterproof coats. I went to work one day and got absolutely soaked to the skin walking in. So researched for good waterproof coats and treated myself...only for other half to decide he wanted a good one too for his birthday
    • Hancocks871
    • By Hancocks871 5th Oct 19, 8:15 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Hancocks871
    Just received all the bits I ordered for DS1s birthday party bags today! (His birthday is in December). Going zero waste I ordered a little wooden Christmas decoration for each bag as the gift, paper bags for sweets (going back to Wilko’s, they apparently do half price pick n mix in October half term so i’m going to buy loads of that and bag them up for the kids). The bags themselves are recycled brown paper bags and i’ve ordered a little penguin rubber stamp to decorate them. It’s a penguin theme- he loves penguins.

Have you all seen the Moon Jar moneybox? What a brilliant present for little kids to teach them about organising their money! I’ve put that on his list.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

977Posts Today

6,542Users online

Martin's Twitter