Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,659Posts
    • 41,177Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 5
    • emmwri
    • By emmwri 26th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    emmwri
    Morning! Though it feels like afternoon I'm still in bed so late. OH and I stayed up late watching films on his last night off for the summer holidays before back to work tomorrow.

Frith - good luck at the dentist today.
    PK - fingers crossed for your call back and interview

Yesterday was a lovely day back home and I didn't have holiday blues at all as the sun was shining and the pleasures were many:
    1. Mum and her OH came round with the dog en route to Peterborough and we sat in the garden in the sun drinking tea.
    2. All holiday washing done and dried on the line
    3. Boys playing lovely together and went down to the park for a play.
    4. Everyone eating the same dinner and all enjoying it for once! Pie and mash again then I think!
    5. OH and I meeting the boys at the park and doing a bit of plant identification ready for foraging. Lots and lots of blackberries, though an elderly lady walking her dog said they get stripped very quickly so will have to keep an eye on them, lots of elderberries, what we think are hawthorns and a sweet chestnut tree. Quite a lot we couldn't identify using our book, hoping to have more of an idea when the fruit ripens. We still have the rest of the village to explore and I am hoping to find some crab apples somewhere to help with jam making!

It's chucking it down with rain here today though so might have ore of a home day than an out and about day as thes lots to get done in the house.
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 26th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 37,557 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Put them down
    Just back from the land of the great fairy tale. There they only wanted the canaries to be sky blue ginger and were disappointed that the female canaries could only produce polka dot canaries, and a few green ones too! Shame was bought upon the fairy tale land, as all knew how bad the polka dot canaries had been over the years, with their greed and abhorrence of the green canaries. In time, the chief cuckoo of the land decided that for betterment of all the canaries, they should only be those who were sky blue ginger. So the top dogs around soon developed techniques to increase the sky blue ginger canaries, All the non sky blue ginger canaries were put down at birth and fed to the cuckoos.
    In a generation, the canaries all became sky blue ginger and any reference to the green and polka dot canary was erased from history.
    The only problem was that the cuckoo, who had feted on the polka dot and green canary, suddenly had run out of their staple food, and hunted then the sky blue ginger canary!

The fairy tale land had gone to the dogs!

5 Oh gawd, if only Sparra was here, she’d not get that one! Talking ofs being here, my router, had updated to ip6 and I has the new ip6 address at home, ready for the next version of the internet of connected click bait. I knows not of how many times I am encouraged that of I did eat this food, that within minutes my life would be terminated and … Only problem is this parish seems not to enjoy the delights of the wanderlust new internet and my ip address, tokens and things are band! So at the moment you daily washings and doings of the BoP is restricted to what I can get away with from the boiler room at the mill! So there, that’s yous put right again.

4 At mill, we has run all the bails of cotton through the Jenny and have cloth coming all over the place. We have delivered this to the shirt makers and they are pleased that we did so on time. Their client is going to be dressed in his new suit very shortly, but it seems that they are missing the shirt buttons. Still, millwright has collected the cash for this part of the project and we have not seen him this week. Usual rule, not inn bank FryDay, We are out of here!

3 With that, BoPsie has also been on this internet of things, obviously viewing wummin sites. Looks like we are on for a good head of steam at the weekend. More later!

2 Nite. As you are aware, BoP will be showing off his beach ready look at the gym. Viewing is recommended! And ifs yous seen that so called trim pad so advertised with the funny bike thing recently, I don’t need the pad!

In the land of the pig, the butcher is king!
    In reference to Meatloaf!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 26th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 14,913 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    * Cooler days this week are forecasted by our lovely weatherwoman with scattered showers over the state of NM. Monsoon season!

* KFC last night. Not great, but I didn't have to cook!

* DD3's FaceTime reports from Thailand regarding her wonderful trip. She's getting quite tan! She has loved these three weeks away...the people, the food, the culture, the sites. Flies home to Pennsylvania tomorrow and then three days to flip back to her time zone before work starts. She hopes that's enough.

* The watery color we painted our sitting room is so pretty and calm. Twenty five years with the same wallpaper was quite enough!
    Note to BoP: sky blue gingery? I'm picturing a pretty sunset color.

* DH is up and out fishing very early this morning. Fish don't bite when it gets too hot, so he will be in before 10a this morning. He was in a great mood last night from thinking about going. Anticipation!

Waves to all of y'all from cow country!
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 26-07-2017 at 2:32 PM.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 26th Jul 17, 2:26 PM
    • 13,877 Posts
    • 188,344 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well done MHAGS the decision can't have been an easy one to make and I think you're being ultra sensible ,glad you've still got the house back here to come to and make yourselves a happier future. Bring that Haggis back to the UK is what I say and then you can let us see a picture of him, please, we'd all like to see who has been in our hearts for a while now!

1) Trip into town yielded several nice YS items including rare roast beef!

2) Found the luggage strap I'd been wanting which is sky blue with various emoticons on it in very bright yellow, this strapped to a bright red case should ensure it remains mine!

3) One of DD1s colleagues wants DD2s bridesmaids dress from when she was 6 (carefully stored by DD2 until last month and she's now 33) for her 5 year old, it's going to a little girl who will wear it, it's too pretty to just go in the clothing bank.

4) Feeling more awake than I thought I would as had a dreadful night last night and there was a huge amount of 'river traffic' in the wee small hours which was very noisy, those big container ships have very loud engines.

5) Tea.......more tea.......and possibly more tea than that!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 26th Jul 17, 6:57 PM
    • 8,634 Posts
    • 34,344 Thanks
    ampersand
    What an enjoyable comfy-reading post, mrs lw:-)
    Send me your shipping sounds any day, any time. Big part of upbringing was over the Port of Wellington, while parents built 2nd own house, after full-time work each day, out at Ngaio on the 10-acre bush block. That's how NZ was then. In fact, one cousin has done same. Equivalent now comes as a build/design-your-own jigsaw/kit. They have done it. Have put it up on a lifestyle block of hillside on the Taihape Road. Loved it last year, v.v.v. new. Calves now down the bottom, fattening for 2 weddings. Water is precious up there, all rainwatwer run-off, gathered into big tanks dug into hillside.

Frith, have noted your presence elsewhere:-) and somehow lost an early a.m. post re: your dentalities. Look, you will be fine as fine, pointless as it is for anyone else to tell you so. BUT, if you don't want a bigger bore than usual from moi re: earliest childhood dentist betrayal...
    Truly, all will be well...Mother Julian always comes to the rescue.
    How is Bigger Son's thumb? That was a hack story of horror.

Apologies. appaerently, for somehow infecting boputah with &notspottery. It IS infuriating, but will pass.....digits x'd as we speak.
    #
    1. Listening to World Champ. swimming commentary. Adam Peaty. Surprising and marvellous stuff.

2. Catching part 1 of this phenomenal play on Arthur Miller, as I sorted stuff for Spits[very badly, in rain] this arvo. No apology for full paste:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06gqh7y

The Life and Times of Arthur Miller Episode 1 of 4

Arthur Miller would have been 100 years old on October 17th this year. To mark the centenary BBC Radio 4, LA Theatre Works, and a stellar American cast have come together to produce four new dramas by Mike Walker and Jonathan Holloway.
    As a writer Miller felt that to create a character, you had to understand how family, circumstances and events had shaped that character. 'The fish is in the water and the water is in the fish', as he famously put it. These specially commissioned plays recreate some of the experiences that shaped Miller himself, throwing light on how he would become one of the most influential playwrights in American literature.
    1. Beginnings
    Arthur Miller is born in New York on the 17th of October 1915 to a prosperous family in the clothing business. A poor school student, he loves making things with wood and dreams of becoming a crooner. But when the stock market crashes and the Millers face ruin, Arthur contemplates a different future.

By Mike Walker.
    Producer for LA Theatre Works: Susan Loewenberg
    Associate Producers: Anna Lyse Erikson and Myke D Wysekopf
    Sound by Mark Holden, Wes Dewberry, and Catherine Robinson

A BBC/Cymru Wales and LA Theatre Works Co-Production, directed by Kate McAll

Whoever is associated with this deserves every plaudit going. vjm - one for you, esp. dd.

3. enzed hometown friends' news, just as & returned from loading. J's 1st live-in assignment begins tmrw, so they will be off for a bit. All is well.

4. Took a big porcelain mug to lovely neighbour's brother, seeing his super smart van there - 'The King of Gardeners' fancy job, found in France. Still have a Scrabble one, a purple twitter one and 'Sawdust is man glitter' one, all found in France. to take to a.n.other friend.

5. Finished Susie Steiner book
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/07/missing-presumed-review-susie-steiner
    - which came free with grauniad several Saturdays back. It's knowingly good, deffo. worth reading, unfortunately a can't-put-downer.

#
    mhags - decision made and none of us surprised overly, i suspect. Dear mhags, dear OH, dear dd1, dd2, ds and dear Haggis,.....virtual hugs and virtual support, no less real, from us all.

Exciting cricket now...another one for Mr Mila to puzzle over. Like young James Taylor[career curtailed unexpectedly recently.] Intend being present when Blowers makes his final commentary in September too. Can't fathom ticket site so far, having been trying since retirement was announced last month

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/23/voice-cricket-henry-blofeld-retires-finding-kilter-style-younger/.]

#
    & has big Lullingstone+Tom Hart-Dyke pleasures as yet unposted, but have gone on enough of late.
    COMMANDMENT : GO THERE, EVERYONE, JUST GO. DO IT.
    https://www.lullingstonecastle.co.uk/tom-hart-dykes-blog.html
    #
    Strongest poss. wishes pk and Frith, re: i/v news.
    Last edited by ampersand; 26-07-2017 at 9:35 PM. Reason: More mystery typos, disappearing keystrikes, spacing bonkers.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand
    • By ampersand 26th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 8,634 Posts
    • 34,344 Thanks
    ampersand
    Good grief! - bop's desire is met in sparrer thank'ee :-)

Indeed we do think of you, but remember your demanding rôle and your spelling out of how little time you would have.

Hope it all continues well:-) Au lit for me. Up in 5 and a bit hours.
    Last edited by ampersand; 26-07-2017 at 9:30 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• sparrer
    • By sparrer 26th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 6,789 Posts
    • 53,702 Thanks
    sparrer
    [QUOTE=Blackbeard of Perranporth;72893151][I]
    5 Oh gawd, if only Sparra was here, she’d not get that one!
    No, she wouldn't - Sorry I haven't a clue, as they say!
    Perhaps trying to confuzzle me even more now I've joined the Septuagenarian Club, poor old girl...

Hello lovely friends old and new, how good to 'see' you all once more and read all your news.

Life plods on here, very little of interest for you to hear about. My dear dog, now 16, is completely deaf and almost blind so he's been my priority for some time. Holidays have ceased for the time being, I'm just going on my annual weekend meet-up at Birmingham Hilton tomorrow and my dgd1 is moving in to look after ToppyDog.

Just coming up to my 8th month running the area telephone responders service for my fellowship which takes much of my time. I was told it was a walk in the park, just no-one told me it was Jurrasic Park! But it's good fun and very rewarding when it runs smoothly.

I treated myself to an unusual but super birthday present, had a team of cleaners in and a carpet cleaner, now the whole house is sparkling.

After a bit of a crash - wing mirror embedded in my face, not the best way to get plastic surgery but thank you NHS - my DS bought me a dash cam and fitted it yesterday. I may not feel any safer but I'll have proof of idiots in future. The family clubbed together and bought me a gorgeous ring, a ruby which is my birthstone, and a bracelet which matches perfectly. Many other lovely gifts including trees, gardening vouchers, plants etc., and two luscious cakes. They know me and so well

DS visited for a few days with his new-ish girlfriend, J, the best present was seeing him happy now he's away from a very difficult 12-year relationship. J and I got on well and she seems to care for him very much which is all a mother can ask. He may be in his 30's but still my baby!

Enough rambling, I need put a dress in a case so will, hopefully, get back in the not too distant future.

Take care God bless

Sparrer x
    • Frith
    • By Frith 26th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 49,832 Thanks
    Frith
    Hello, Sparrer. Sorry to hear about your car accident. Glad your son is happy.

Mhags - interested to hear your news about moving. Not an easy decision to make, I'm sure.

Another busy day here!

1) Up early to let plasterers in. 80% of stairs and landing done now. Just one bit of landing then under the stairs to skim.

2) Hens well.

3) Went to big dentists - which is HUGE! Ours has 2 chairs in the waiting room and 1 receptionist. This had 30 people in reception, 3 receptionists, phones ringing constantly and 14 dentists! It was one of those NHS days when you feel "I'm sure they're very good but..."

No one seemed to know I was coming. No one knew anything about me. People thought I wasn't having sedation/was having tooth out today/had lots of decay (no fillings here, thank you very much!!) People said, "Come this way", then disappeared so I didn't know where to go. Someone did an Xray then left me there. Then they said, "You can go", and it took me ages to find the stairs to get out!

The x ray is quite cool. Hadn't had one done on teeth for 22 years. No one wants to sit with me for hours after the sedation (they suggest having someone there even overnight) so nothing can be done. :-/

4) Popped to see Aunty S afterwards.

5) Dropped football clothes off for smaller son who hired a pitch with his friends all afternoon then watched his team play Birm City this evening.

Today's catastrophe!

Dragged turtle tank in to bathroom for its normal cleaning. Spent a long time cleaning the filters, glass etc. Filled it with water (gallons and gallons), dragged it out of bathroom then dropped it on the floor.

Ran to airing cupboard to stop the tidal wave that went across the landing into the bathroom. Then heard the sound of water hitting lots of different surfaces downstairs. :-(

Turned the electricity off. All other towels pressed into service as the water found its way between the beams - onto the worktop (and bread), all over and down the back of the fridge, just on the floor, onto the window sill, in the cupboard with the consumer unit in it...

So the kitchen is now extremely clean! Turtles are in a large plastic storage crate.

6) Took lots of books to charity shop and found an old photograph album with granddad in. My brother popped round and had a look also.

7) Watched 24 Hours in A and E.
    Last edited by Frith; 26-07-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 26th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    • 3,659 Posts
    • 41,177 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Wow big news mhags not to put you off but this morning was rain rain and more rain.
    1) mrpiano very kindly drove me up to library door for my meeting
    2) and picked me up at 11:30 and took me to medical school for my 12 noon meeting.
    3) had to get up early to read stuff for 1st meeting didn't make any lunch so had lunch with colleague who is old colleague but in new job
    4) home and the sun was shining yay and mrpiano had done duck on puy lentils. On a school night. Feeling blessed.
    5) dd2 has done some more work on the office and unearthed the wii fit. We have been doing basic steps, and wii has told me I've lost 6 pounds and I'm 47 (I'm 54 next month)
    6) phoned dad. Work is paying for me to go down to London 24th so planning to stay at his and spend a couple of days with him. Sadly don't seem to be able to get direct flight to Southend like last time so have asked dd2 to scope travel for me
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 26th Jul 17, 11:20 PM
    • 3,659 Posts
    • 41,177 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 Oh gawd, if only Sparra was here, she’d not get that one!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    No, she wouldn't - Sorry I haven't a clue, as they say!
    Originally posted by sparrer

Welcome back sparrer
    I was told it was a walk in the park, just no-one told me it was Jurrasic Park! x
    Originally posted by sparred
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 26th Jul 17, 11:42 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 24,149 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Welcome back Sparrer
    Mhags that’s big news.

1 Work is done for another day, I can timesheet tomorrow.

2 I received the call back, arranging the interview now. Yikes.

3 I made cawli cheese and chicken for tea, I really didn’t want to but trying to get on track with the diet.

4 DH has his new Mig welder and he his beaming from ear to ear, happy.

5. Listed a few items now on the bay to clear some space.

The not so good, I received a call today from DF’s doctor in hospital, I will be taking Friday off work to go up, he was calling for me which makes my heart lurch, he was given news of having to have major surgery and amputation, at which he went into shock, but almost thankfully he doesn’t remember today.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 27th Jul 17, 6:28 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 12,888 Thanks
    house elf
    Good morning Peeps!

Hello to sparrer
    Frith, I thought you were going to say the wave of water washed all the new plaster off. I almost felt relief when it all went into the kitchen! Hope the electrics are ok.
    Mhags.....Big decision! Is everyone coming back?

Yesterday

1. Went into work for most of the day. Lots done without interruption from the students! However, gave a lift to colleague/friend who had been on the end of term trip to the pub......I'm glad I was driving! She drove me mad all day! Kept coming to talk to me and even ringing me on the internal phone for a chat! Anyway, despite that, desk is now clear, and lots of clutter from the floor is hidden in the boot of the car The cleaners have room for a deep clean on my office
    2. Popped to Caffè Nero after we had finished and she had a large black coffee. I had tea and a toasted tea cake which was lovely.
    3. Schools Out for Summer! Apart from the stuff I have brought home, but much nicer to deal with that in the garden with a cup of tea and the doggie at your feet
    4. Offer of £10 for 2 pizzas from Pizza Express, so DH and I went for Pollo ad Astras. DS2 didn't want to come, so cheap night out!
    5. Came home and took doggie for a walk with DH. Collected some pine cones to make fire lighters or Xmas Decos.
    6. Packed for hols. Doggie completely stressed out by suitcases. Now gone into complete depression!

If I don't see you for a week, the internet is rubbish at the hotel
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 27th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 37,557 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Chicken ruin, Sparras Back!
    There is a journey that you tread while you’re around down here. You take the road an do you damned best for you and yours. There are challenges and horizons. You can only ever make the right choice.
    Good luck down under as you make another turn on the journey.
    Now as for them sky blue ginger canaries!

Seems NOx is to be eliminated only for heavy metals to ruin the water. The air will be clean, as dictated by the Guv’rm’nt, but the water remains to be …
    Don’t be fooled in the crush, the last one told us that the diesel was the future! By then, BoP will under a carpet of violets and cornflowers!

5 At mill, seems the old mangle get itself into the cloth yesterday and managed to crease up a couple of the yarns! We sorted it though, but the customer still has not got any shirt buttons to finish the job. Us in the boiler room think they are making big girls blouses!

4 Just checked the piggy bank of BoP and it is scraped empty. Please think of this and BoPsie when you eat today, as wobbleade chits are required! And not forgetting BoP has holiday to pay for as well! On that, BoPsie has checked out BB Kings on Broadway. Think I will need to take my pastry brushes! If I do, I think I can make some clangs on the top hats and cymbals!

3 Watched the leather being whacked again last night and BoPsie went and got a bottle of wobbleade. Cheese was also eaten. That was after fishcake and salad. Now as you are aware that BoP proffers proper food, and tells you not to waist your pennies on delivered cheese on toast! BoPsie had her MoT yesterday, and apart from being frayed at the edges from living with BoP, she is in fine petal, hope that one beats the profanity filter! So there you have it, if you eat carp, watch carp, and click on click bait, you will feel carp! Avoid. For those unaware of what clickbait is, you’ll find it in post on Buck of Farce, when you are given the impassable quiz not one has done, or the food you should not eat. For that, read again. Only eat proper food. Oi, and someone around here had twig chicken this week. Avoid.

2 On that, BoP has a frozen chilli. Maybe tonight, but at the moment it is just cheese, pealed oranges. Now these are good for your eyesight as they, like carrots allow you to see in the dark! Far better than the sugar biscuit from the emporium! BoP tested one of these fancy biscuits quite a while agao. It is like eating a bag of sugar. I’m now munching on a digestive, and my salad. Please do not dunk digestives as they fall apart. And inn keeping beach ready, …

The next stone across the river is easy to choose, you are closer now to the other bank.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 27th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 24,149 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Hmm I just wrote a long post, and one of our darlink little critters walked over the keyboard and I’ve lost the lot, ah well it’s amazing how they can find shortcuts and write code!

1 It was a 3 hour drive back needless to say that’s not a pleasure, but I decided to drop into Mr T as about the rightish time, I needed milk and picked up, corn on the cob, carrots, lettuce, coleslaw, runner beans and pots for a total of 24p extra. Ohhh and a cranberry almond walnut grain luxury bread for 30p which I must say is scrumptious!

2 I’m back safe and sound which is more than I can say for the reason I was stuck in traffic poor things, and received a hero’s welcome from the animals.

3 Put another £60 in the vet top up funds.

4 Some tea lights are burning and Bones is on.

5 Looking forward to relaxing in the tub.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 27th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 49,832 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Plasterers in again at 8.30 and it is now finished! That is every surface of the house replastered, apart from the kitchen ceiling. (Thank goodness he didn't do that this week, or it would have been water damaged yesterday!)

3) Hens very perky this morning.

4) Went with my brother to canal town, did the charity shops quickly then we walked round the canal basin and where it goes into the river. A German family had (we presume) just collected their boat and drove it gently but repeatedly into the side of the basin before managing to get it in the lock! They were OK after that though.

5) Went to parents' afterwards and my sister and niece were there. Mum was having a folk music thing in the kitchen and it turned out the other accordion player was a geocacher who lives locally and I had emailed her about her geocache being damaged! I had no such links with the banjo player.

6) The big clean commenced. The living room is now free of plaster dust, all washed, steamed, hoovered, tidied. By chance the window cleaners appeared and did all the outsides for me. Cleaned the stairs and the landing (a lot).

7) My college friend appeared bearing a fish tank to replace the one I broke yesterday. I gave her my cat's laser light thing as a small cat has pretty much moved into her house.

8) Did various bits of paperwork and friend witnessed my signature so I can change the address of my premium bonds - not checked since my grandparents bought them when I was born.

9) Built the new cheapo (£15) Ikea bookcase to replace the one that had been on the landing.

10) Watched Who Do You Think You Are?
    Last edited by Frith; 28-07-2017 at 8:40 AM.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 28th Jul 17, 12:13 AM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 14,913 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Fresh plaster!!!
    Code writing cat!!!

Just read an old Crisco recipe book that came out right after this product was introduced in 1911. It was speeling on and on how about much healthier and cheaper it was than butter or lard.
    I have read the virtues of the superior taste of a lard made pie crust in a James Beard cookbook but have never tasted one. My mother and then I have always used Crisco for making pie crust. Who killed the use of lard? Why Crisco with its advertising genius of "It's all vegetable, It's digestible!' The good for you fat...until the 90's and transfat research.

* Firth and I have clean windows. Well, I do on one side of the house. Put your sunglasses on when you come to my house. It's bright inside!

* The dog, on it's back, in porno shot position. They have no shame!

* Giving the old laundry room doors to a friend who can repurpose them as closet doors. I kept thinking why am I hanging on to these. Happy new home!

* DD3 is back in the States. Detroit...not the best place to fly into but it's on this continent. She in the air to NYC now. Maybe she will spot the return of the humpback whales in the waters off Manhattan. Be on the lookout BoP!

* Supper in the crockpot. I'm getting lazier and lazier. I did make pecan pies yesterday so not totally worthless.

* More sitting room stuff gone through. I won't be on the Hoarders show anytime soon.

* DD2 will stay here next week to work in this office...we will be gone to keep Quoye while her daddy starts a new job. Her nursery school is out for two weeks. So we will miss our darling Middle daughter but the pleasure is she said she'd climb on the roof and wash windows. (Multi level roof)

I need a cocktail.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 28-07-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 28th Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 40,912 Thanks
    mhagster
    So , when life gives you lemons....I usually make cake or lemon curd!

Well, where do I start? The thought of going home and giving my own house some TLC has always been at back of mind . Moving to Tasmania was my plan but when I went there the other week and did so much soul searching, sobbing and looking out to sea it just did not feel the right time to move.
    I absolutely cannot afford to buy in Melbourne but could in Tasmania ( if I'd sold my house)

House wasn't selling as tenants had been a bit unkind and much remedial work needing doing which buyers didn't want to do , even though priced at the value of its condition rather than if it was brand spanking new. ( this is a modern 4 bed detached not some run down hovel) . I'd already dropped price and thought I'm going to end up taking peanuts just to get rid.

So, along came last week and being told that house here was getting valued and probably sold and it all kind of clicked in to place. Kids are in agreement. DD2 finishes school at end of year. They will all come back for Christmas and DD1 will come back here.

I love Australia and all things considered we've been very happy here. We moved here with OHs work and not for any other reason of being unhappy in Scotland . So it was always going to be okay if we went back. We have many lovely friends who are looking forward to seeing us. They will able to offer practical and emotional support. We have made good friends here too but just not quite the same as your forever friends....but they were the ones who supported our family on a physical level. By just being here, driving , cooking, listening etc.

I had told my lovely OH that wherever I ended up I would find it so difficult without him. I miss him more each day. It's 149 days since he died. I know moving back will not be the answer to my grief, that will be the same . I know it won't be easy peasy but it is familiar, I have a home ( which he lived in) and I have great friends. I also have woods and a river my dog can run through without worrying about snakes or poisonous spiders.

So yesterday got a call from estate agents here and it seems owners want to move in here ( from their very modern house...good luck with that !) and we need to be out by 20/10/17 ( which ironically is the date we moved here 7 years ago!) so accommodation for 7 weeks needs to be sourced. So yesterday was spent trying to do that.

Pleasures.
    Hurrah it's Friday

I've had a great week at work.

I got family benefit tax paid and meet the criteria for levels A & B ( this will be a huge help!) ...it's like family allowance but income tested.

Friend of my friend came today to hopefully help me sell OH's much loved motorbike.

Have sold a tumble drier and a fridge on FBook. Picks ups over weekend. Much to be cleared from this house....I ain't taking any crap home. We still have boxes in the garage from when we moved here that have never been emptied. Garage sales coming up! Booked a hard rubbish collection from house ...after we saw the state of the barbecue...bleurgh!

Sun has been shining for most of day .( massive srorms last night)

Nice dog walk.

Very supportive messages from friends ...those that need to know, know.

Birds, flowers, trees which I shall miss but I also miss birds , flowers and trees from home so that will be good.

I'm looking on it as a very positive thing. We are dual citizens so luckily have the freedom to choose where we live. I am lucky that I have a home to go back to. I'm lucky to have made friends on both sides of the world. I'm lucky to have Mr Haggis coming home.

Always onwards....and literally upwards as I head north in a few months!

Have a great weekend x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 28th Jul 17, 9:01 AM
    • 13,877 Posts
    • 188,344 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    MHAGS everything that happens has a reason and you have to live through the changes that happen because of what happens to look back and see that reason after a new phase of your life has started. Change of any kind is never easy, there are vexations, tears, uncertainty and apprehensions but the changes WILL happen as life really IS about moving forward. Come home and put yourselves back together again in the fullness of time, come home and find your feet, come home and be with people who have been in your life for a while and who know YOU! A new beginning, a new life, new start life is an adventure pet, bon voyage!!!

1) DD1 here and I'm happy!

2) Found a couple of potential houses in the area of choice that we may go and look at.

3) The runner beans have FINALLY started to give us a small amount of useable beans, it's been a really 'funny' year.

4) Finding that my friends house has NOT been let out instead of sold as I'd been told ..... but the one next door has! relief!!!

5) The amount of rain we've had has meant we don't have to water the garden in the evenings!!!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 28th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 37,339 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thinking of Mhags x
    Love the sound of a folk music thing in your Mum's kitchen Frith

Some recent pleasures,

The juvenile blackbirds are bossing the garden, pleasure is that usually the magpies get the bb eggs so it's lovely to see some youngsters.

It seems that our old dog Rosie has trained her younger, sprightly sister to come upstairs if she needs a comfort break during the night, well, why whine when you have minions to do your biding

The bi-annual beeswax of the wooden furniture and everything is gleaming.

Baking to keep busy on a wet July afternoon, spelt bread and rolls now in the freezer.

Doing the Hokey Cokey with the washing, keeps my daily steps up I guess!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 28th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    • 5,638 Posts
    • 82,176 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all

Wow, Mhags - massive decision. Mrs LW sums things up far better than I
    Frith - glad you've got to the 'clear up' stage
    Ampersand - thanks for the R4 link, i'll have a listen

Greetings from wet and windy ICT

Pleasures for wednesday

1. got my hair cut and coloured. I have gone much lighter in recent months - trying to hide the grey LOL. had a couple of inches lobbed off the length - I think it needed it
    2. Took birthday card and present to friend. She is away for two weeks on a cruise - I am happy for her but totally unjealous, i just don't fancy a cruise
    3. she gave me some ham and bacon she can't use up - love a freebie
    4. train to ICT was a nightmare, but OH picked me up halfway so it was nice to have car time with him.
    5. Salmon for tea with a nice glass or two of wine

And yesterday

1. OH cooked sourdough toast with avo and bacon for breakfast - one of my favourites
    2. Got house clean and tidy - DD had been there while we were on holiday. let's just say that her idea of clean and mine are somewhat different
    3. Met with OH's former boss for the afternoon and evening - i don't know him or his wife well and was dreading it a bit, but they are lovely. We went on the train for a short ride then
    4. out for a meal. We couldn't get into our usual restaurant but the substitute was very nice. I had sea bream
    5. then we went to hear the Wurlitzer. Not my thing AT ALL but it was a rather good evening. i'd go again - but maybe not too soon

Have a good day all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

6,270Users online

Martin's Twitter