Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,652Posts
    • 41,124Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 390
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 16th Oct 19, 3:51 PM
    • 5,634 Posts
    • 82,143 Thanks
    VJsmum
    mandm90 - the GM of the north yorks moors is a personal friend of mine... we went on for OH's retirement do (well, one of them) and a lovely time was had.

Thanks Juliettet - I think so too.

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Back to typing - my revised structure is taking shape
    2. walked to the dentist. Dentist itself was frustrating but the walk was nice
    3. Hung laundry on the line, didn't dry completely but was helped on its way
    4. Watched the Dublin murders - I like a murder show...
    5. Had beef stew from the freezer for tea - not too much to do and was lish.

Have a nice afternoon / evening all. DD and I are off to the pictures to see "Judy"
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 16th Oct 19, 9:32 PM
    • 3,485 Posts
    • 40,848 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Bedtime. Was my full day at work today, main cook had asked for a swap. Not quite sure whatís going on with staffing just now. Hours all over the place. Anyway Iím now taking tomorrow off as there will be too many staff in ( as it should have been my full kitchen day ) anyway I shall make the most of my surprise day off.

Not overly busy but kept going. Drove there as couldnít face the stagger back.

Home with soup which Iíve passed on to friend.
    DD walked down to meet me and we headed off to next village for dinner. Had pate and lasagne.

Home and a very happy doggy. Just in and friend came over. Sat and had a very good blether.

DD2 gave me a lovely surprise of a Boo box with lots of nice gifts . Halloween socks and hair clips and a nice candle and moisturising gloves and foot sock things. And a pumpkin necklace! What a nice gesture.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 16th Oct 19, 10:07 PM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 41,124 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) love walking into work this time of year - the colours are so beautiful even if it did start to rain
    2) lunch was lo pate from church event on sunday (would have been thrown away), toast and ys custard tart a colleague had brought in
    3) did the same workshop twice, once with my team, once with another school - very enjoyable both times
    4) dd2 finished just before me so we walked home together. we had spagetti and swedish meat balls yum
    5) then walked dogs up to mum's to let her know sad news of mutual friend. Then we watched Extra Slice where Michael goes out.
    Be like a postage stampóstick to one thing until you get there.
    Plastic bottles picked up to recycle: aim was one a day, currently 3 - 5 per day so given up counting.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Oct 19, 12:06 AM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 49,772 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Went to the autism parenting course. All very chatty people there. Asked them what I should do about smaller son having to change school (though you'd think I would know, he left so many of them).

3) The parenting course was broken up by a lady running in describing my car and that a "youth was breaking into it!" I asked if it was a youth who looked suspiciously like me but with a beard and on a bike... Bigger son had been for a bike ride while I was in the meeting!

4) Had an all day breakfast in our little caf!.

5) Had to go to the Post Office to sort out getting my new driving licence (expires on Sunday).

6) Hen still going! She hasn't come out of the sleeping quarters today - we just fed and watered her in there and left the door open a bit so she got plenty of light. Shut it at tea time.

7) Went for a walk in the forest while bigger son practised wheelies.

8) The parent support SEND people have got back to me and will attend the emergency meeting about smaller son next week.

9) Have spent 5 hours on the sofa finally just about mastering crochet!
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th Oct 19, 7:11 AM
    • 1,923 Posts
    • 21,769 Thanks
    villagelife
    As I left work today - 20 minutes late as others seemed to be on a go slow - I was given an envelope with papers in about my appeal for flexible working and my managers response. The meeting is on Tuesday but I think it reads that my response has to be in by Friday lunch time. The letter was dated Monday! My managers manager sent the letter and papers to my manager to give to me. She has my email address.

If I could afford to I would leave with immediate effect.

Having trouble finding 5

1. Arranged to meet a friend next werk.

2. Tea tasted tasty.

3. DH came home with cakes - home made by a patient of his.

4. Finished my book.

5. Enjoyed cup of coffee.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 17th Oct 19, 8:17 AM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 37,274 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wednesday pleasures,

The beech trees are finally starting to change colour, soon we will have all the leaves drifting down onto our grass, little dog loves jumping to catch them.

New socks in the post, Iím very heavy on mine being in boots so much but S**salt bamboo ones seem to be up to the job.

The small, patio rose is having a second flowering so tiny yellow blooms, very cheery.

Being busy all day and realising that my energy levels are getting better, itís been a nasty old virus.

Autumn pork roast for tea, with pears, parsnips, squash and onions, very nice and the maple syrup made everything caramelise.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 17th Oct 19, 8:27 AM
    • 9,462 Posts
    • 61,562 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Pleasures yesterday.

Mixed with a little solemnity as we scattered my husband's ashes yesterday. Just five minutes walk from our holiday cottage is a small fast-flowing stream. We (I, my son and the dog) walked to the stream. It had been raining but had now stopped. It was damp and grey, and the forecast was cloudy for the day. The ashes swirled into the stream, carried along by the fast current, to eventually go out to sea or become one with the earth.

As we made our way back to the cottage, the sun came out. It ended up being blue skies and sunshine for the rest of the day, contrary to the forecast. My son remarked on how symbolic it was, and I think he's right. Brighter days and new beginnings to come.

We drove into town and had lunch at a pub. I had beef hotpot, son had scampi, dog had sneaky bits of beef and scampi.

Stroll around town, quieter and more pleasant than at the weekend, when it was more crowded.

Treated myself to a couple of magazines (a Christmas one and a wellbeing one). I don't buy magazines, they're a waste of money, but I thought "I'm on holiday so why not?"

Relaxing back at the cottage, used up eggs and crumpets for evening meal, followed by leftover sticky toffee pud and custard (readymade from supermarket, may the gods of MSE strike me down if they dare!)

Watched The Apprentice with a mug of hot chocolate after another frangipani and grapefruit scented oil bath.

Son borrowed the bath oil for a bath before bed. I bet he smells like a right tart this morning.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 17th Oct 19, 12:08 PM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 37,465 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Spear fishing on the Lune Ö
    BOP, glad Bopsie is doing well. Good luck too. Just had 2 recent visits to the Cornerhouse!
    Originally posted by juliettet
    Proper Food. Tasty!

Well another whippet less trip up Norff is over and done with again! Now back inn the suvven mill, and the boilers are on!

Train was late last night so another delay repay in full again. Use rule of BoP, donít let them get away with it! Got it. Better not inn their greasy palms.

So BoPsie herded off on the Big Warster avoiding train into town, and we has a chin wag and a thia supper. Wobbleades were consumed. Then home to Raffles, who in BoPís absence had managed to get into his treat tin and have lots of ttreats. Mes thinks that probably BoPsie did feed him too many? Answers will be eeeked out of her!

Now on with the BoP happenedings this day!

Lunch box has too cheeses and the usual with strawbs and oranges. Rites proper tasty. No cakes of Jaffa as theys not on offer.

May sneeks out of the mill down to chuck wagon for a dog burger. We has rite proper chuck wagon in layby by mill race! And it is not reigning here so I is going to tell millrite that he can stuff his face for the moment becus that BoP is on the Hop!

There, thatís anovver Lunch Bite from BoP!

1920 When the new World turned to the Pacific!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 17th Oct 19, 2:06 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,223 Thanks
    MandM90
    1. Managed to tick something off the work to do list which has been niggling for weeks.
    2. Looking forward to working from home tomorrow. Cats and slippers and tea.
    3. French class tonight with DH.
    4. Managed to stick to meal plan this week and as a result we're on track to be under budget on groceries. Hurrah! HM chilli was delcious today.
    5. Just withdrew £353.51 from Quidco! Goes straight into the Christmas kitty, fun fun fun!! Anything not spent (we usually only spend ~£600 and this brings total beyond that) will go towards holibob funds. Fun fun fun!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Oct 19, 2:38 PM
    • 13,872 Posts
    • 188,302 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    A visit to DD1 and lovely cuddles with little Frieda and some Oma time with her too, she's opening up like a little flower and smiling properly now, it's lovely!

Lunch out at the garden centre on the way home and it was superb, a giant Yorkshire pudding with a roast dinner in it! came as a surprise to find 3 nice slices of roast beef in there as it was advertised as with roast veg and roast potatoes.....YUMMY!

Finding the ornamental grape I'd been looking for, we left a thriving one in Hampshire when we moved and the grapes made the best grape jelly each year which is a must add to casseroles in our house, it makes a world of difference to the flavour.

The family have decided to come to us for Christmas Day this year and the girls have both said don't try to do it all on your own Ma, we'll bring things with us which is something to look forward to.

Everything that needs doing is done today and the afternoon is not booked in any way so we can relax with a cuppa later on and catch up on some recorded rugby.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 17th Oct 19, 3:38 PM
    • 5,634 Posts
    • 82,143 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Afternoon - just back from an actual paid-for job. I'm liking being back in a classroom very much..

Pleasures for yesterday:

1. lunch with friend. Nice to catch up after a couple of weeks without lunching. I think I talked her to death..
    2. Nice emaness country vegetable soup
    3. DD and I went to the cinema to see Judy. Is a fab, but very sad, film
    4. Cinema is being refurbished and we got a posh screen with extendable chairs for no additional money (yet)
    5. Had precooked a potato bake which we all had with veggie burgers / veggie fingers when we got back. Worked well and used up some spuds, peppers and onion

Have a lovely evening all
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 17th Oct 19, 6:53 PM
    • 3,485 Posts
    • 40,848 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Just waiting as dinner cooks. Chicken pie (Rtc) with roast parsnips and potatoes from freezer, cauliflower, peas and carrots.

A pleasant day off...much better way to spend a Thursday!

Made a decision to stop cleaner so last one today. Not even so much the expense but the fact I’m home more than I was at start of job so I do have time .

Went into town with DD2. Bought her a new bed. Much needed. Going halfers.

Returned a shoddily made fancy dress costume she’d bought yesterday. We want a cash refund. We only do exchange or credit note. Under the 2015 Consumer Law...blah blah blah...let me go and phone my manager...you can’t refund it because you don’t like fabric...yes but the fabric isn’t even sewn properly therefore it’s faulty ( sighing by this point ) she got her £19.99 back! Then she took a pair of jeans back to another shop and was happy to deal with them herself.

Quick nip into M&S and Rtc pie for tea.

Then down to my very old work for lunch. Bought a few pretty decorations which were 3 for 2.

Home. Tiny snoozette on the sofa with the dog also snoozette-ing!

Pottered around continuing to decorate seasonly.

Right the oven has beeped and the roasties look fab! Have a lovely evening
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Oct 19, 11:58 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 49,772 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Cleaned most of the downstairs this morning, including the windows.

3) Hen keeps going! Just opened the door to the sleeping quarters during daylight so she got sunlight and fresh air.

4) Took smaller son to town and the wool shop is closing down (its been there at least 40 years that I know of). Bought some wool for crocheting. Had some doughnuts. Popped to Sainsburys.

5) Made toffee apple traybake which is edible (being cake) but quite unexciting.

6) Just talking to smaller son about his options at the dentist and he said "I want one of those seduction things"! :-D

Big meeting tomorrow where we discuss smaller son's education (or lack thereof). I'm not sure why anyone thought putting him into mainstream after 7 years would work. The only school suitable round here is £35,000 p.a but he'd rather re-take some GCSEs from home...
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 18th Oct 19, 7:13 AM
    • 1,923 Posts
    • 21,769 Thanks
    villagelife
    Frith fingers crossed the meeting goes well.

1. Bus did stop in the morning. Thought it wasn't going too and only started braking at the bus stop.

2. Work - help of someone saved the day. She works in a different department but went beyond what she needed to do. I did see parts of hospital that I hadn't been too before.

3. DS1 recovering from his cold and more cheerful. He is out tonight and hopefully tomorrow too.

4. DH enjoyed his pruning course which was his birthday present. He also had a tour round Savill gardens.

5. Tea from freezer.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 18th Oct 19, 8:31 AM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 37,274 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Likewise on the meeting Frith itís appalling the way you have all been treated by that place.

Thursday pleasures,

Weather was mild with lots of sunshine.

Chat with pal at yard, time spent with girlie and just being outside on such a lovely autumn day.

Picked up parcel from PO, a wool winter coat found on Eb*y, well made and warm it will last me years, now looking forward to colder weather

Caught up with Only Connect.

Capt S was excused from going to meeting and last we checked when going to bed they were still going at 11pm!
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 18th Oct 19, 10:21 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    juliettet
    My 5 for yesterday

1. Attended Jury service at the High court yesterday. The pleasure being I got sent home and no going back for this one.

2. Walked around Glasgow in the brief sunshine. I love this city.

3. Best ever almond croissant from M&S

4. Back early and did housework. Place is clean and shining for the weekend.

5. New book started. Glasgow crime story. Laughed at the irony.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 18th Oct 19, 10:23 AM
    • 5,634 Posts
    • 82,143 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all.

Meant to say, Nargle, it sounds like lovely send off for your OH..
    Mhags - I stopped my cleaner when I started the PhD, partly because I was earning less but also the inconvenience of having her here while I was trying to work outweighed the inconvenience of doing it myself. Mind, OH and DS (who lived here then) said they'd help with the cleaning, which hasn't always been the case. OH will mop a floor occasionally and expect to be showered with praise..
    Frith on your behalf..

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Nice walks to and from stations. I'm quite liking my trip to a new city - though I don't much like the city.
    2. Good teaching, although I think i'm blowing their minds so I need to be gentler with the little darlings..
    3. second 5:2 day. Nice food, just not enough of it
    4. Watching !!!! and Angel at the chateau. Such a lovely gentle programme
    5. DD has got an interview for a job she wants

Have a lovely day all - typing for me plus a bit of shopping later.

EDIT: Stupid filter - !!!! is D i c k
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Oct 19, 11:37 AM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 41,124 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    juliettet I too love Glasgow. Son was there for 3 years, new part-time lodger now lives there so more visits planned
    frith all the best with the meeting
    For yesterday
    1) last of pate lo from church event for lunch with a ys granary roll yum
    2) lunch time excellent talk about the NHS and climate change. Scary stuff but needs to be out there
    3) gbf picked me up after work cos we were going to a talk by Dame Prof Jocelyn Burnell-Bell on the universe and hope. called in on boys on the way through for their comfort (and ours for our return later!)
    4) great talk, huge audience. refreshments after were all soft drinks (usually there's always wine). not sure if that's a new move from the uni or because Dame Jocelyn is Quaker, but have to say i heartily approve (despite as you know being very keen on wobbleade)
    5) back home gbf and i had cheese and toast - cheese was also lo from church do. gbf ate all the blue cheese, good i don't like blue cheese. then we had lo custard tarts from a work event
    Be like a postage stampóstick to one thing until you get there.
    Plastic bottles picked up to recycle: aim was one a day, currently 3 - 5 per day so given up counting.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 18th Oct 19, 12:02 PM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 37,465 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Then came the Mess Ö
    Nows theres not what you thoughts, but a eating house of old. Talking of eating house, BoP has gotten the stakes inn for tonights meal at Gaff of BoP. Fillet stakes, toms and grilled mushrooms. Done proper. More details tomorrow after the tasting. Proper food and good for you.

BoPsie this very day packed her BoPís lunch box a plenty, but she shorted him on the Rocky biscuits. No panic, it is BoPsie who has gone short. Not BoP! Got it, donít mess with BoP, yous will end up inn tears! Tears of laffter! Got it?

Nows I tooks BoPsie out to the emporium yesterday for some proper cheese and whine. I got some wobbleades and then home to raffles. Unfortuantely as BoP was up Norff Whippet siting, Raffles seems to have managed to be able to open his treat box at will and hes darn well finishe doff all his treats! So we had no treat for him last night. As I said in notes passim, BoPsie friend made a cushion of Adam Ant tee shirt. Raffles has done the right thing with that, and made it his home on top of drum. It is grey now with his furrs!

Then BoP has his wobbleades and cheese watching Green Book, the film. Very good journey film in Crow country! Raffles was not treated, see above!

Had poached egg and bits for brekfest this morning and wes seems to be out of best back for the weakened! No problem, as BoP will no doubt gets more inn on the weigh back from the mill. And I tells yous I wont be long for the mill this day!

Thinks that is it from your version of the Life of BoP today. Enjoy your Lunch Bites!

Drive your own weigh through life, as youíll only make your own mistakes
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 18th Oct 19, 7:35 PM
    • 3,485 Posts
    • 40,848 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. All is calm and quiet. Baby boy has just went home. Lovely to see...lovely to say goodbye! Niece had asked if I could watch him for a few hours till they had some quality time with GN (shopping and spending her birthday money and dinner) . Of course! We had a lovely time until he decided to start screaming and forgot to stop! He does get cross! Anyway we had 2 stinky nappies one after the other so I think he just had such a sore tummy. Was lovely and chatty again after that!

Work was worked. Busy. Three hours went by quick. Nice walks to and from.

Then a nice walk with baby to go and get DD2 after work ...Haggis was a bit put out he wasn’t coming !

Met friends on way so walked back with them and had a nice chat.

Nibbly kind of tea with a RTC chocolate eclair for pud.

Washing was hung out and almost dry.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,250Posts Today

5,530Users online

Martin's Twitter