Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pepsi_max2k
    • By pepsi_max2k 4th Oct 07, 9:25 AM
    • 381Posts
    • 115Thanks
    pepsi_max2k
    O2 Broadband (merged)
    • 4th Oct 07, 9:25 AM
    O2 Broadband (merged) 4th Oct 07 at 9:25 AM
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUKL0372243720071003?feedType=RSS
    http://broadband.o2.co.uk/

Launched on October 15th, for anyone with a current O2 phone contract the prices are:

£7.50 pm - 8 Mbps ADSL2+
    £10.00 pm - 16 Mbps ADSL2+
    £15.00 pm - 24 Mbps ADSL2+

All will probably be unlimited downloads with a Fair Use Policy (probably not strictly enforced, judging by other O2 owned ISPs).

Without an O2 contract the prices will be + £10.
Page 3
  • scooby32
    o2 Broadband which package.
    Really need some help as Im a bit of a novice at this. have just taken out an o2 phone contract and their broadband deal looks good for customers . I am unsure which speed required, I have tried keying in my telephone number and it gives me a speed of 5.5 however I live 1.3 miles from the exchange and Sky said I would get 8 - 16 meg (may not be the best advice tho). I dont want to pay for a package with speed I cant use and am so new to this I may not understand speeds properly. I have two sky plus boxes on my phone line at the moment, does this make any difference?

Any info for a complete novice would be geatly appreciated.
  • archived user
    Go for O2!!
    Really need some help as Im a bit of a novice at this. have just taken out an o2 phone contract and their broadband deal looks good for customers . I am unsure which speed required, I have tried keying in my telephone number and it gives me a speed of 5.5 however I live 1.3 miles from the exchange and Sky said I would get 8 - 16 meg (may not be the best advice tho). I dont want to pay for a package with speed I cant use and am so new to this I may not understand speeds properly. I have two sky plus boxes on my phone line at the moment, does this make any difference?

Any info for a complete novice would be geatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by scooby32
    It really depends on what you are using your connection for. However 5.5mb is pretty fast and will be more than likely be ample.

I have O2 broadband (8mb) and have nothing but praise for it. Great customer service, fast and very reliable and of course cheap! I also used to have Sky broadband (16mb) (before O2 launched) and did not get even half the speed I get now and reliability was very patchy. Their CS also has an 0870 number whereas O2 is a freephone.

As you can probably tell I'd recommend the O2 product!

Regards
    UNDERGROUND
    • jay78
    • By jay78 10th Dec 07, 7:41 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    jay78
    Should I get it? Should I? Should I?
    • euglycaemia
    • By euglycaemia 10th Dec 07, 8:23 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    euglycaemia
    I am with O2 at present and have moved from Orange!

I am very happy and pleased with it!

I am on 8mb tariff and am getting 5.6download and 1.1upload!

So far so good.......
  • scooby32
    Thanks for the helpful replies. Im signing up for it, with 100 day trial period it sems ideal. Still unsure as although i am showing 5.5 the checker in store showed the 16 meg as available for my telephone number as they use adsl2. I am confused if this means I can get a higher speed or not. Anyone understand this?
    • myself321
    • By myself321 18th Dec 07, 9:49 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    myself321
    O2 broadband
    hi there

i am thinking of moving to o2 broadband the 8 meg option at 7.50 a month, is there service reliable and do the offer good customer support ?
  • ckerrd
    I am on the 16Meg but having problems at the moment because of internal wiring, so I only get about 5.5/6Meg.

If, once I sort out the wiring, I get no faster then they will downgrade my account and refund money.

The customer service, so far IMHO, is fantastic. Both online and on the phone.

No complaints from me thus far.
    We all evolve - get on with it
    • Billy Boy
    • By Billy Boy 18th Dec 07, 10:51 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Billy Boy
    In my opinion the service is second to none. My speed (up to 8MB) is far higher than my previous ISP (Zen) which cost £24.99 pm for up to 20GB downloads.

Highly recommended.

PS Go via Quidco for a £25 rebate
  • granville
    IMO - they're excellent. Customer service is brilliant - they actually have a clue.

Speed is good too. Was getting ~2Mb on a BT Max product, am now getting ~6.5Mb on their 7.50 p/m package.

• matrix999
    • By matrix999 18th Dec 07, 8:25 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    matrix999
    I want O2/BE Broadband but its not available in Stirling yet!!!

Spoke to the Customer Advisors on the phone and they sound knowledgeable and professional.

Great start to a new product - Keep up the good work!!

Oh and if you get a chance enable the Stirling and Bannockburn exchange!!

Ta
  • scorpio13
    I'm moving house in 2 weeks and thinking of changing to o2 (from freedom2surf).

Anyone know how long o2 will take to set everything up? (New BT line set to go on 28th Dec).
  • archived user
    O2 Broadband
    I'm moving house in 2 weeks and thinking of changing to o2 (from freedom2surf).

Anyone know how long o2 will take to set everything up? (New BT line set to go on 28th Dec).
    Originally posted by scorpio13
    Presumably because you're having a new line installed there'll be no need for the MAC code and change from ISP to ISP.

I suspect O2 will set you up very quickly. I switched from Sky and the whole process took just under two weeks, so with a 'clear' line I shouldn't see why they can't half that time. O2 are very efficient and keep you updated by e-mail and text and keep their promises!

So far I can easily say they are the best ISP I've ever had - you'll see my other posts on this thread 'bigging them up'!!

For the definitive answer to your query call them on 0800 230 0202.

Regards
    UNDERGROUND
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 20th Dec 07, 11:51 AM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    Well risky I know but Talk Talk are now offering it from our exchange, they are rolling out 150 exchanges all over the country they told me, with a limited number of free broadband on each, so it may be worth some people asking again.

I'm going that route as I have their line rental and phone already.

Thanks for your ideas guys, have a lovely Xmas.
    DG
  • utilitybroker
    Well risky I know but Talk Talk are now offering it from our exchange, they are rolling out 150 exchanges all over the country they told me, with a limited number of free broadband on each, so it may be worth some people asking again.

I'm going that route as I have their line rental and phone already.

Thanks for your ideas guys, have a lovely Xmas.
    DG
    Originally posted by donny-gal
    Not if they still charge you for it.

See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=644013

PS. You must be brave ! have you read this thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=644013
    Last edited by utilitybroker; 20-12-2007 at 12:18 PM.
  • utilitybroker
    Its worth noting you dont need a dearer 12/18 month O2 contract to get the o2 cheap broadband. You can get it with a cheaper sim only monthly contract.
    http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/paymonthly/simplicity
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 20th Dec 07, 12:52 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    Its the exchange again that is the problem with o2.
    DG
    • wackojackouk
    • By wackojackouk 30th Dec 07, 11:17 PM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    wackojackouk
    Hi guys

I'm on Orange and after some problems around this time last year it's been quite stable but I only get 2mb.

Is there anyway of checking the speed I might be able to get if I pop over to 02?

Cheers

WJUK

• Guapa1
    • By Guapa1 31st Dec 07, 1:44 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    Guapa1
    I have just add my broadband connected and it seems a little slow. I'll give it a day or two then start doing some checks.

O2 have been fantastic customer service wise though. They have kept me informed, delivered the box when they said they would... No complaints here at all
    Getting there... A deal at a time.
    • euglycaemia
    • By euglycaemia 1st Jan 08, 8:19 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    euglycaemia
    Hi guys

I'm on Orange and after some problems around this time last year it's been quite stable but I only get 2mb.

Is there anyway of checking the speed I might be able to get if I pop over to 02?

Cheers

WJUK
    Originally posted by wackojackouk
    Findout from BT what is the maximum download/upload you will get!

I was with orange 8MB but was getting 5.6 despite that the download was not that quick!

I am o2 8MB and I could certainly see the difference! download starting at 1.3 to even 3MB/sec to start then eventually slows down.But by that time, download is complete!

I AM VERY MUCH PLEASED WITH O2 after got stuck with Orange for 2 years!!!!!
    • euglycaemia
    • By euglycaemia 1st Jan 08, 8:20 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    euglycaemia
    Presumably because you're having a new line installed there'll be no need for the MAC code and change from ISP to ISP.

I suspect O2 will set you up very quickly. I switched from Sky and the whole process took just under two weeks, so with a 'clear' line I shouldn't see why they can't half that time. O2 are very efficient and keep you updated by e-mail and text and keep their promises!

So far I can easily say they are the best ISP I've ever had - you'll see my other posts on this thread 'bigging them up'!!

For the definitive answer to your query call them on 0800 230 0202.

Regards
    UNDERGROUND
    Originally posted by UNDERGROUND
    Takes exactly 6 or 7 days at the maximum!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

2,234Users online

Martin's Twitter