Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • passatrider
    • By passatrider 19th Aug 12, 8:29 PM
    • 805Posts
    • 764Thanks
    passatrider
    Orange 'Free' Broadband
    • 19th Aug 12, 8:29 PM
    Orange 'Free' Broadband 19th Aug 12 at 8:29 PM
    I've been an Orange broadband user since the days of Wanadoo takeover.
    Now, when I took out a phone contract a few years back I was given Home Broadband 'free for life' or so I thought. This was provided you kept the phone contract and it was a plan over £30.

Two years ago I left my contract and went Orange Pay as You Go as I was informed that as long as I kept my Orange phone and kept credit on it, the free Broadband would still continue.

Today, I get an email from Orange informing me that my 'Free for life' Broadband will cease from 17/10/12 as I no longer have a contract with them - even though I left my contract in October 2010.
    To continue with this offer I have to take out an Orange phone plan again and also take a Home phone plan.

Where do I stand with this?
Page 3
  • mw2655
    here's the letter i've sent to orange in case anbody wants to use/modify it..

Dear Sir/Madam

Mobile account : xxxxxxx broadband number : xxxxxxxx

I am writing to complain to you and would like my complaint dealt with as per your complaints procedure.

I have been a customer of orange for 12 years now. Since 2005 I have benefited from your free broadband with a regular pay monthly mobile phone contract. The free broadband has always meant your mobile phone packages have always been competitive. This was also the case 2 months ago when I renewed my contract for another 18 months. As always I checked if I would still receive my free broadband and I was told yes I would.

However this week I received a letter from Orange regarding my broadband. I rang your customer support team to be told unless I took on line rental with orange I would lose my free broadband in October despite my 18-month contract. When I complained about how unfair and wrong this was I was told “what we are doing is not illegal”.

I am appalled by your extraordinarily poor customer service. I expect you to honour the free broadband for the rest of my contract. I will not hesitate to take this matter further and have already informed OFCOM of your questionable practice.

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

cheers matt
    • Gadgetmaster
    • By Gadgetmaster 25th Aug 12, 4:47 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Gadgetmaster
    Complain
    hi,

right, if enough of us complain to OFCOM which can be done online..

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/sales/mis-selling-mobile-phone-services/

OFCOM might open an investigation, they cannot however deal with individual cases.

The address for Orange to write a complaint to is..

Complaints dept
    Orange UK plc
    Po Box 486
    Rotherham
    S63 5ZX

once I have complained to orange and we don't agree and they send a deadlock letter or 8 weeks from the initial complaint..

i can then go to CISAS http://www.cisas.org.uk

which is the independent ombudsman covering orange who can deal with individual complaints.

cheers matt
    Originally posted by mw2655
    Thanks Matt, some excellent work there. I have been with Freeserve since their PAYG internet days, and have enjoyed free broadband since the early days of this offer. At last renewal on our mobile contracts, my wife (whose name the free BB is in now) got a worse deal than me...because she gets free BB!!! Now being withdrawn, despite my confirming that it would continue when she renewed. I will be writing to OFCOM and Orange, and will certainly be moving both contracts next April after this disgusting move from Orange!
  • Benno1uk
    I too have received this from Orange. A broadband customer since the Freeserve / Wanadoo days, I have had the free orange broadband offer since 2006/7. Every time I have come to renew my mobile contract I have been careful to confirm that I would still be eligible for the free broadband. Despite constantly reduced monthly costs, I still have had access to the offer all these years (The original offer was for £30 a month or more contracts, mine has since reduced to £16 a month and still is (or was!) allowable.)

I guess my point is that Orange have been pretty reasonable about continuing the offer until now to those on lower contracts than the offer originally stipulated (even to Pay as You Go customers it seems) so although annoyed, I can't see how they are totally in the wrong. Also the original terms and conditions do state that they have the right to change or withdraw the offer.

Anyway, I have just called Orange and have decided to take up their new offer which is essentially the same, except I will be paying the line rental and getting my landline calls via Orange instead of BT. In theory it should make little or no difference in terms of service and cost and I still get free broadband.

Time will tell!
    Last edited by Benno1uk; 25-08-2012 at 6:53 PM. Reason: Spelling / grammar
    • passatrider
    • By passatrider 25th Aug 12, 9:40 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    passatrider
    I too have received this from Orange. A broadband customer since the Freeserve / Wanadoo days, I have had the free orange broadband offer since 2006/7. Every time I have come to renew my mobile contract I have been careful to confirm that I would still be eligible for the free broadband. Despite constantly reduced monthly costs, I still have had access to the offer all these years (The original offer was for £30 a month or more contracts, mine has since reduced to £16 a month and still is (or was!) allowable.)

I guess my point is that Orange have been pretty reasonable about continuing the offer until now to those on lower contracts than the offer originally stipulated (even to Pay as You Go customers it seems) so although annoyed, I can't see how they are totally in the wrong. Also the original terms and conditions do state that they have the right to change or withdraw the offer.

Anyway, I have just called Orange and have decided to take up their new offer which is essentially the same, except I will be paying the line rental and getting my landline calls via Orange instead of BT. In theory it should make little or no difference in terms of service and cost and I still get free broadband.

Time will tell!
    Originally posted by Benno1uk
    You don't work for Orange by any chance?
  • Janandy1
    I too was very upset to receive the letter from Orange regarding broadband as this is the second change since I last renewed my contract yet I have no rights to cancel. I too have been a mobile and broadband customer since wanadoo days.
    On the third attempt, I did get to speak to someone at Orange who started by explaining that BT had increased their charges to Orange and that Orange could only afford to continue to provide me with free broadband if I moved my line rental to them at no additional cost to me. In fact they would evwn discount my line rental by £2.50 for the first three months so a saving of £7.50. I was on the verge of saying yes when I remembered that my BT phone costs me £14.60 per month including evening and weekend calls. Orange wants £18.50 for this and as good as told me take it or leave it and offered me a MAC code so I could move but said no one could provide me at a better price than Orange.
    If you check out the Orange website they are offering any Orange or T Mobile customer broadband with phone line and evening and weekend calls for £18.50 and as an incentive £40 in Marks and Spencer vouchers. Maybe my maths aren’t that good but I can’t see that I am being offered anything but a price increase and at a higher price than a new broadband customer.
    Needless to say I will not be taking up their offer. I would sooner pay more to another provider and as soon as my mobile contract comes to an end that will be moved as well.
    • Gadgetmaster
    • By Gadgetmaster 25th Aug 12, 10:41 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Gadgetmaster
    Leaving Them
    I too was very upset to receive the letter from Orange regarding broadband as this is the second change since I last renewed my contract yet I have no rights to cancel.
    <snip>
    If you check out the Orange website they are offering any Orange or T Mobile customer broadband with phone line and evening and weekend calls for £18.50 and as an incentive £40 in Marks and Spencer vouchers. Maybe my maths aren’t that good but I can’t see that I am being offered anything but a price increase and at a higher price than a new broadband customer.
    Needless to say I will not be taking up their offer. I would sooner pay more to another provider and as soon as my mobile contract comes to an end that will be moved as well.
    Originally posted by Janandy1
    Good points well made. This comes down to morals, and Orange have shown that they don't have any. I too would rather pay more to receive honest service elsewhere.
    I do recall though, that back in the day, I had a PAYG with Orange Out Here...a one off fee that gave 5 free SMS each day for life. They tried reducing it to 3 SMS and making it an annual fee, but after many complaints, they backed down My letter is ready to be posted in the morning, and I have already complained to OFCOM...CISAS will follow once I get my expected letter of deadlock from OCS. How many complaints can we raise folks?
  • Benno1uk
    You don't work for Orange by any chance?
    Originally posted by passatrider
    No I do not work for Orange (I know it's my first post which may seem suspicious, but I was intrigued to find out what other people thought of the letter and felt compelled to respond).

I just wanted to give a slightly more reasoned response than some and point out that if you are willing to pay your line rental to Orange instead of BT then you won't actually be any worse off (financially at least - I can't comment on the landline service yet) and still get your free broadband (which is uncapped as opposed to before which was apparently capped at 2gb a month so the Orange operator told me - not that I was ever flagged for going over that).

If that qualifies me as some kind of Orange PR mole, then sorry!
    • passatrider
    • By passatrider 26th Aug 12, 11:03 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    passatrider
    No I do not work for Orange (I know it's my first post which may seem suspicious, but I was intrigued to find out what other people thought of the letter and felt compelled to respond).

I just wanted to give a slightly more reasoned response than some and point out that if you are willing to pay your line rental to Orange instead of BT then you won't actually be any worse off (financially at least - I can't comment on the landline service yet) and still get your free broadband (which is uncapped as opposed to before which was apparently capped at 2gb a month so the Orange operator told me - not that I was ever flagged for going over that).

Fair enough. My apologies if I offended you
  • moon777
    They can’t be trusted!

I received the letter and email informing me my free broadband was going, that I did not have a mobile registered to my address and that I can keep my free broadband by moving my line rental on the home phone to Orange.

Like many of you I renewed my mobile contract to keep the broadband – I actually did an upgrade in the carphone warehouse to get an ‘unbranded’ mobile. I have met the same resistance from Orange as the rest of you and accused them of miss selling – their broadband dept blamed their mobile department, the mobile department blamed the car phone warehouse. When I did the upgrade I got the carphone warehouse to ring orange to confirm the free broadband for the length of the contract. So I have rang the carphone warehouse and told them the tale, I have my receipt and the salesman remembered making the call for me (took him 40 minutes the day I did the upgrade to get an orange manager to confirm). The carphone warehouse have rang orange on my behalf and have received the same tale as orange tell us – no more free broadband with a mobile for anyone unless you move the home phone line rental to them.

I have been with them since 2005, I now have a mobile contact for £30 a month until October 2013. During the years they have removed the free livebox 2nd line, increased prices and now are removing my broadband. So you sign a contact with this company and they change the rules/terms without a thought for customers.

For those of you who think it’s still a good deal to move the line rental to orange to get your free broadband – it’s not a good deal! The basic line rental charge is competitive however I have anytime with BT and if I want that with orange or evening and weekend calls it costs more than BT. Also are you aware that by moving your line rental you will be creating a new Contact with Orange? For 12 months – but as they don’t tell you this it could even be for longer! And of course this contract will not be timed as your mobile contract creating further future complications if you want to move one or both of the services in a years time!

This company have shown they cannot be trusted to sign your line rental to them after all they have done what should you expect? I would expect further changes to the terms over the next year, more price rises and more changes. They have cheated us and will do it again.

I now have my MAC code – however after reading other Orange horror stories on the net I have decided to let my broadband expire on the 15/10/12 and then sign up with someone else – why would I do this and have the inconvenience of no broadband for a few days? Because I suspect that orange will charge a cancellation fee of the broadband! Yes this is mentioned on the net elsewhere they charge a cancellation fee if you move broadband with the MAC code! And they bill you for this after you have moved. They say this is because you have moved during your contact and they consider a rolling contract which is what I am on to be the same – so I think that they will consider my contract to run until my mobile contract expires in October 2013 – so I will let the service end on 15/10/12 and then sign a new contract with BT or plusnet. I simply cannot trust a company that has done these things, I would expect them to try and extract more money from me.

This company is a disgrace, I am gutted to be paying for my mobile and to be stuck with them on it for another year plus. They have totally shafted and miss sold to all of us – I have filled in the Ofcom form, but even if we won I would not want to use this company again, they have proved that they cannot be trusted and have no morals.

Everything Everywhere – in your dreams Orange.
    Last edited by moon777; 26-08-2012 at 6:11 PM.
    • neil9313
    • By neil9313 26th Aug 12, 12:17 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    neil9313
    Where Orange have gone wrong is not letting you keep free BB until your Mobile contract runs out, plenty of people have been happy for many years with Orange to date, Some who only had Orange PAYG & got free BB for many years.

The BB dept knew that the free BB was getting withdrawn, so the mobile dept must have as well.

I'm not involved in the BB issue but have the Orange 2nd VOIP line, thats going to be stopped as well.

Orange/BT land line is all the same anyway practically. But Orange should have given plenty of time to change your land line to them if you had so wished.
    Last edited by neil9313; 26-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    • neil9313
    • By neil9313 26th Aug 12, 12:22 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    neil9313

There is/was a cap but Orange have never enforced it.
  • Woodlandman
    Me to
    I also recieved the letter this week, had 3 very annoying conversations with numpties from what they call a customer services department.
    I actually fealt sorry for one of the guys who i was giving a hard time as he nearly broke down saying he was just a temp & had only been doing the job for a couple of days.

I have been with orange since the wanadoo days & from 2007 have taken advantage of the free home broadband with my pay monthly contract. I am currently mid way through a 2 year contract that will cost me £340 to get out of
    I also made a point of getting the phones4u assistant to ring orange to confirm that the free broadband would continue with this latest contract.

However i have been doing some research online to try & find something that might help the cause.
    I found this link to archived terms & conditions which one is for the orange free broadband: (sorry site won't let a newbie post links so you have to replace the word dot with a dot)

webdotorangedotcodotuk/p/home/internet terms of use

Item 6 is interesting:

6. If you are on an Eligible Tariff the Offer will be applied to your account for the period you remain on an Eligible Tariff.
    This indicates to me that they should allow us to keep the free broadband until our current contract expires.

Also the terms do state the following:
    17. Orange reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time on reasonable notice.
    18. Orange reserves the right to replace, amend or withdraw this Offer on reasonable notice.
    My view on the above 2 statements is that they have the right to remove the offer "TO" customers not "FROM" customers.

I have already filled out the OFCOM complaint posted by Gadgetmaster & urge anyone reading this thread with the same issue to do the same.

I will also be writing a formal letter to orange but have not yet decided where to mail it as i feel the normal customer services route will be a useless excercise. I did come accross an old thread that contained an email address for the executive office:

executivedotofficeatorangedotcodotuk

not sure if it works though.
    • Gadgetmaster
    • By Gadgetmaster 26th Aug 12, 10:51 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Gadgetmaster

However i have been doing some research online to try & find something that might help the cause.
    I found this link to archived terms & conditions which one is for the orange free broadband: (sorry site won't let a newbie post links so you have to replace the word dot with a dot)

Item 6 is interesting:

6. If you are on an Eligible Tariff the Offer will be applied to your account for the period you remain on an Eligible Tariff.
    This indicates to me that they should allow us to keep the free broadband until our current contract expires.

<snip>

I did come accross an old thread that contained an email address for the executive office:

Originally posted by Woodlandman
    Excellent work tracking those terms down Woodlandman. If it makes life easier for people, I am able to post the link to the terms, which is http://web.orange.co.uk/p/home/internet_terms_of_use

I also copy my letter below, if it is of use as a template for anyone, complete with the address for the complaints team.

Complaints Dept
    Orange UK plc
    Po Box 486
    Rotherham

S63 5ZX

Mobile A/C: XXXXXXXX Broadband A/C: XXXXXXX

Dear Sir,

I write following receipt of an e-mail from yourselves, advising me of a material change to my mobile phone contract – specifically, the removal of the free of charge home broadband service.

When I renewed my mobile contract with you, I confirmed with your caIl centre operative that I would continue to receive the free broadband for the duration of my mobile contract, and was assured that this was the case. I have now been informed that this statement was untrue, but that there is nothing that I can do, unless I am prepared to move my home telephone supply away from BT, which I am not prepared to do after the behaviour that your company has so far displayed! I also refer you to item number 6 on the attached copy of the original terms of use, which clearly states that the free broadband shall be in place for the duration of my mobile contract.

This leaves me facing an additional bill each month from this October, up to the expiry of my mobile contracts next XXXXX, at which point I will certainly be moving if this is an example of how you operate.

Despite this material change, I have been advised that I am unable to cancel my mobile contract without penalty, which I find unacceptable, if not a downright breach of contract. I have already notified OFCOM of my concerns, and wish to raise a formal complaint with yourselves. If a satisfactory resolution is not forthcoming, I shall have no hesitation in raising this issue with CISAS.

At this time, I require either, and in order of preference:
    · Continuation of the free broadband service
    · Penalty free cancellation of my mobile contract, with PAC code provided, together with a MAC code for my Broadband
    · A letter of deadlock

I trust that I may look forward to hearing from you by return.

Yours faithfully,
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 27th Aug 12, 10:31 AM
    • 10,056 Posts
    • 2,993 Thanks
    chanz4
    I also recieved the letter this week, had 3 very annoying conversations with numpties from what they call a customer services department.
    I actually fealt sorry for one of the guys who i was giving a hard time as he nearly broke down saying he was just a temp & had only been doing the job for a couple of days.

I have been with orange since the wanadoo days & from 2007 have taken advantage of the free home broadband with my pay monthly contract. I am currently mid way through a 2 year contract that will cost me £340 to get out of
    I also made a point of getting the phones4u assistant to ring orange to confirm that the free broadband would continue with this latest contract.

Item 6 is interesting:

Also the terms do state the following:
    17. Orange reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time on reasonable notice.
    18. Orange reserves the right to replace, amend or withdraw this Offer on reasonable notice.
    My view on the above 2 statements is that they have the right to remove the offer "TO" customers not "FROM" customers.

I have already filled out the OFCOM complaint posted by Gadgetmaster & urge anyone reading this thread with the same issue to do the same.

I will also be writing a formal letter to orange but have not yet decided where to mail it as i feel the normal customer services route will be a useless excercise. I did come accross an old thread that contained an email address for the executive office:

Originally posted by Woodlandman

17/18 quoted above will be there get out clause
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 27th Aug 12, 10:42 AM
    • 14,794 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    "on reasonable notice" is the key point - For those that have received such notice, does it say WHEN the free broadband is being removed?

Also, whilst this may be their "get-out" card, it doesn't mean they can retain the existing contracts and remove a key benefit without also being liable for the consumer's "material detriment" get-out right.
  • moon777
    "on reasonable notice" is the key point - For those that have received such notice, does it say WHEN the free broadband is being removed?

Also, whilst this may be their "get-out" card, it doesn't mean they can retain the existing contracts and remove a key benefit without also being liable for the consumer's "material detriment" get-out right.
    Originally posted by bod1467
    My letter says broadband service ends on 15/10/12 letter received on 21/8/12, email version on 24/8/12
  • OscarDog
    I too have been with orange for 12 years and benefitted from free broadband, and I am also really annoyed that orange have chosen to bring this service to an end in such a way.

BUT at the end of the day I am a single mum and need to move forward and find the best deal. I currently pay £14.60 to BT for line rental and eve and w/e calls. Orange have offered the same service for £27 (inc free broadband?). I am in a high cost area for broadband which incurs an extra charge, I also use more than 10gb a month, unfortunatley I can't find anything to beat orange.

I also have so many 'loyalty' add ons with my mobile I don't think i'd get a better deal for that elsewhere.

Has anyone else found a better offer.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 27th Aug 12, 1:01 PM
    • 14,794 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    My letter says broadband service ends on 15/10/12 letter received on 21/8/12, email version on 24/8/12
    Originally posted by moon777
    That would be reasonable notice. However (IMHO) if a current mobile contract is in force wherein free broadband formed part of the contract then you should be able to rescind the contract with no early termination charges.

Just because something is free, does not mean it has no value. As I may have said earlier in this thread ... if you buy a TV and get a free Bluray player, then return the TV - you must also return the Bluray player.

Good luck to all those affected. (For disclosure - I'm not with Orange for BB, though I do have an Orange mobile).
  • Woodlandman
    I have managed to find a flyer from when the free broadband offer was around.
    It states "get free home broadband with your mobile phone".
    This says to me that the free broadband comes with the phone deal so therefore forms part of the contract.

maybe i'm reading into this too deeply
  • sjlmlk
    I have received my letter from Orange this week. It states in the first paragraph "To qualify for free broadband, you need to have an active Orange pay monthly mobile plan". It also says I do not have this plan, although I have had my mobile with Orange for over 12 years. The people in their customer services will not listen and told me they do not offer free broadband to any customers! I think it that all customers that have lost their BB register a complaint with OFCOM, they might take up our case. As for Orange customers services the less said the better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,656Posts Today

9,424Users online

Martin's Twitter