Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
  • leosayer39
    Hi,

Has anyone seen the latest offer from e7even?

They are currently offering free conection, a free broadband router and unlimited downloads (on the 512k service only) all for the equivalent of 15.00 per month, provided you stay with them for 12 months

As a dial up user I am giving this offer serious consideration.

What do my fellow moneysavers think of the offer?

Do e7even use the streaming method which makes it really difficult to change provider or do they use a standard streaming method. The reason that I ask this question is because I have read on another post on this site, that it is difficult to change from virgin or another of the broadband providers because they use a different delivery system.

I look forward to your comments

Leo
    Dont you just love freshly congealed pigs blood, with a bit of fat in
  • terriermama
    bulldog internet
    Hi, newbie here. I took up Bulldog's offer of 4MB Internet, 'free' local and national calls anytime, at start of this month for 39.99 plus 1 connection. They haven't connected me yet but will re-post when all goes through on whether good or not.

Bulldog have a special offer at the moment. 4MB unlimited broadband at 19.50p/month for 12 months with 1 connection fee. You have to supply own modem. The catch is it goes up to 29.50p/month after 12 months and you have to take up phone service with them at 10.50p/month (same price as BT Option 1).
    by Paul Varjak
    • sandyl
    • By sandyl 23rd Mar 05, 7:26 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sandyl
    I agree with Fraser. The article does not tell the whole story. Sorry, Martin but I believe that you may have confused people especially when stating like for like. For example, I am with Pipex, have a 1mb connection with unlimited download all for 23.99 per month. Their after sales and support service is excellent as well. I was considering moving to a cheaper provider but couldn't find another which compares so stayed put and haven't regretted it.
  • Big Wig
    TALK TALK are doing a deal till the end of march offering a 1 Meg unmetered service for just 14.99/Month. You do however have to take their telephone service as well and the contract is for a minimum of twelve months but you can still use 18866 and 1899 as call over-riders.
    This is my first post so be gentle with me!
  • stinky
    Too many people searching for cheap and ignoring quality
    I agree with Fraser. The article does not tell the whole story. Sorry, Martin but I believe that you may have confused people especially when stating like for like. For example, I am with Pipex, have a 1mb connection with unlimited download all for 23.99 per month. Their after sales and support service is excellent as well. I was considering moving to a cheaper provider but couldn't find another which compares so stayed put and haven't regretted it.
    by sandyl
    Unfortunately all too often I find the same problem with this site. I do love it in principle, but far too often things are listed as being the "cheapest" with absolutely no regard as to the "quality". For me personally I want a balance of both not just one or the other. I want the best quality I can get for a price that is not too much more expensive than the rest. Often this does not cost much more than the "cheapest" but is far, far better value for money. That's vastly different than shopping around for things. I always search out the best price I can get for a certain object, online and on the high street, I never just buy a cheaper version - because its cheaper.

Perhaps I'm not a true "money saver" - well so be it. But from my studying of Broadband pricing, I always advise all my friends to go for an uncapped service. Many of them want to play online games for example (I have no idea how much download/upload this actually amounts to. So for the difference between a Tiscali 15.99 and many other providers at 19.99 who have no limits, I'd rather pay the extra (no doubt a sin on this forum :-). At least then I have no worries about going over my limit and having extra charges. I'm not going to die over the extra 48 a year for peace of mind.

Personally, I'm in London and was able to take advantage of Bulldogs offer of 39/month for 4Mb/400Kb with phone and free local/national calls. Its on a one month contract (so I can cancel anytime) and yes it goes up after one year - however after 1 year, I'll re-assess the situation, like any money saver would. So far, I am very happy with the service. 4Mb makes for very fast software downloads. Not everyone needs 4Mb, but if its the same price as a 1Mb service, I'll take the 4Mb.

I can also highly recommend Blueyonder, who I was with for 2 years on a 512Kb service which they upgraded to 1Mb for free (for all their customers). Never any problems. Would still be with them if the Bulldog offer had not come along.

Separate note - Apple Macs - They work fine with all the providers I have come across. As someone else mentioned, they may say they do not offer support, however "what support"? You should not really need any specific Mac support. Just buy an Ethernet Modem/Router connect it to the phone line and connect the Mac. It just works. You should not need a "NIC" card, since this is an Ethernet Card, which just about every mac ever built has built in. Your ISP may not be able to supply you with an "Install Wizard" but I think we can all live without one of those. As with most things Mac, its plug and play - simple.
    Best Value for Money - NOT just the Cheapest I can buy
    • Traveller
    • By Traveller 23rd Mar 05, 8:13 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Traveller
    Moving from Pipex to Eclipse
    Pipex have provided a pretty reliable service for the last year, but their customer support has been useless. One automated reply then silence - still waiting for two filters and even worse when I asked for the MAC required to migrate.

Anyway I'm off to Eclipse at 14.99/month for whatever the line can stand up to 2MB/sec, 1GB download (I don't go for videos or music) and no migration fee.

Eclipse has been getting good reports from existing users at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and the Sales side has got their act together.

Only the next year will tell.......

Traveller
  • bombardier
    Separate note - Apple Macs - They work fine with all the providers I have come across. As someone else mentioned, they may say they do not offer support, however "what support"? You should not really need any specific Mac support. Just buy an Ethernet Modem/Router connect it to the phone line and connect the Mac. It just works. You should not need a "NIC" card, since this is an Ethernet Card, which just about every mac ever built has built in.
    by stinky
    I was specifically referring to PC users needing a NIC.
    Mac OS X
    • localshop
    • By localshop 23rd Mar 05, 8:43 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    localshop
    TALK TALK are doing a deal till the end of march offering a 1 Meg unmetered service for just 14.99/Month. You do however have to take their telephone service as well and the contract is for a minimum of twelve months but you can still use 18866 and 1899 as call over-riders.
    This is my first post so be gentle with me!
    by Big Wig
    I thought that was good enough too.
  • Juvi
    Hi new to the forum,

About broadband..
    at the moment am using Telewest BlueYonder.. an have so for the past 3yrs
    The speeds have been great, and service has been excellant, would reccomend cable an Blueyonder those who can get it in their area.

Use the net a lot for downloading, and for gaming, so I've been pretty interested in Bulldog and their 4Mb connection with a phone package.
    Looking through some reviews, they seem to have had some problems with changing over, this taking up to 3 weeks in some cases, but the ones who have got it seem to be very happy with it, all reviews seem to indicate a very helpful customer service and good speeds.
    Definiely one to look into for those gamers and any heavy downloaders.

The discussions on the other providers show there are a lot of variety with varying levels of customer satisfaction out there. I'd reccomend that you think carefully on what you will use it for, and how this fits in with what they provide. Faster speeds for gamer etc... better customer service for new users.. also try using someone else's broadband connection at home an see what they use it for. You might find you use it for lot of new things, i.e streaming music/video, internet phone, video conferencing , online gaming. Try it out an see. Enjoy
    an hi to all on the forum
    Last edited by Juvi; 23-03-2005 at 10:18 PM.
  • barebumundermakilt
    Ok Ok Ok...I have a question....and a dilemma (though the dilemma is NEARLY fixed)... if some of the techies can help!

Back ground info...

I work away from home about 2 nights per week...I use AOL dial up when I am in hotels on my laptop (15.99 a month). My parents and inlaws use my account too as I have given them screen names. (great value I think!) and I can stay in touch with home when I am away.

Now that said I also have Virgin broadband at home (24.99 a month for 512kb) pretty good ...though forwarding on emails from my aol account when I am away seems to exceed my mailbox size????

So you got the picture? yeah I pay 40.98 a month (Martin cringes LOL) to stay in touch with my family and friends.

I have emailed AOL regarding upgrading to their broadband packages and still using my dial up when I am away...they say it is not a problem (and have an email to prove it!)

So how can I tell if my line is capable of 1mb or above?

Thanks in advance to the techies!

Scott
    • layces
    • By layces 23rd Mar 05, 10:43 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    layces
    Far too simplistic
    The article is far too simplistic. A 'good buy' for ADSL depends on many more factors than simply cost, download limits and (maximum advertised) speed. A 1Mbit ADSL connection with a 50:1 contention ratio where all the other 49 users are perpetually on-line downloading binaries will probably be slower than dial-up! An elderly couple I know have recently spent over 3 weeks trying to get their ADSL feed from O**-T** to work without success and finally had to give up after even a local expert failed. Customer services were worse than useless.
    I would recommend looking at www.adslguide.org.uk before signing up for any service. There is a host of impartial advice and feedback from users with a full cost and service breakdown for most if not all UK ISPs, along with customer satisfaction comparisons for speed, reliablity and customer service.
  • Psych
    personally, i'm looking at the ukonline 8mb account at 40, however this isn't the cheapest (ok it is for the spped, since it's the only one available).

for the truly cheapest i've seen, they all come to 9.99+vat unless someone knows better?
    and that would be www.metronet.co.uk (payg) and efhbroadband.com (first 1000/month only)

i'm sure www.zazizam.com were doing a 9.99 unrestricted service though... afaik they are simply a v21 visp, cutting down on their own take, however this doens't appear to be the case anymore.
    www.adsl4less.co.uk are doing an unrestricted service for 14.99 a month though.

re barebum: why not switch to a dsl provider who provide a dialup aco!!!! as backup? that would cut your cost considerably. metronet appear to be the cheapest provider to offer this, wit their basic rate being 9.99+vat for broadband (this is partly cpaped however, see the wesite for more detials on price)

as for telling whether you line is cpapble of 1mb+, you'll need to access your modem/routers status page, where it gives your snr & attenuation figures.
    i do believe you lose 6db of snr for each step, 512->1mb->2mb->4mb->8mb
    i'm not sure how attenutation fts into it however, ll i know is that it goes up wit hevery regrade, and it can't be too high.
    i can tell you i'm running 2mbit at snr: 22.6/31 attenuation: 23.8/12.5
    which should qualify for 8mbit, i hope.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • electracy
    • By electracy 23rd Mar 05, 11:32 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    electracy
    Personally, I'm in London and was able to take advantage of Bulldogs offer of 39/month for 4Mb/400Kb with phone and free local/national calls. Its on a one month contract (so I can cancel anytime) and yes it goes up after one year - however after 1 year, I'll re-assess the situation, like any money saver would. So far, I am very happy with the service. 4Mb makes for very fast software downloads. Not everyone needs 4Mb, but if its the same price as a 1Mb service, I'll take the 4Mb.
    by stinky
    Stinky, Could you tell me if you had any issues with changing over? I'm on ADSL at the moment, and worried about the change over period. When they change the phone over to Bulldog I guess wanadoo bb wont work because its not a BT line anymore, so if there a delay between the line and the bb activation from bulldog I lose all bb connection. Most people who have had a problem with bulldog have complained about the time it takes to change over.

Also have you had any problems with disconection or the quality of the phone line for voice calls?

Thanks,
    KT
  • boblevin
    Low cost Broadband
    Take a look at www.eclipse.net.uk they are offering 2mbps for 14.99 per month with free set up and modem. I think this makes them the cheapest at this speed. I found them by accident whilst trying to book a holiday on line with Eclipse.
  • Hrun
    I am going back to Tiscali(lineone)! I first used their Lineone unlimited Dialup offer and had no problems until it folded. I then moved over to Freeserve(wanadoo) and am now going back to Tiscali for the 15.99 (1 more than my unlimited dialup) uncapped offer with calls bundled (we hardiy use the phone so my provider is not important).

I have read what people say about their technical, but I would not waste my money calling them anyway. I am no expert, but when my better halfs laptop lost all its file exension associations I called the Compaq helpline (cost 16 quid) and was told reboot the computer to a fresh install (losing all her work/photos) 1/2 an hour on the web found a site where I downloaded the register fixes for all the problems and cost nothing!

So having had a good experience with tiscali, customer service being an issue is not a problem. You try and fix something working on the descriptions of the upset person who rang you!

HTH Giles
  • chateau42
    Was with Tiscali, OK but they were not really interested in existing customers. Now with Plusnet, OK for average users. Not a gamer so can't say from their point of view. Ideal for hectic emailers and surfers!!!!!!!!!!
    The moving finger, having writ, moved on.
  • Psych
    re: layces, while i agree that contention is a major aspect that everyone forgets about, most every normal isp has theirs set at 40:1 or 50:1. you will get special cases where it will be lower, but these are the exceptions. speed, price, and now capping are the easiest ways to weed out the best from the worst.

is there an easy way to see how conteded an isp is before using them, and even when, apart from noticing speed jumps?
    maybe i've been lucky with bulldog, and my exchange (harrow) my 2mbit primetime, is pretty much capable of 2mbit all day given the right source
    i know http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ provides some exchange data, but dont think its that helpful in this case.
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • Psych
    eclipse. 2mbit for only 14.99? what's the catch? ah yes, it's capped to 1GB with extra being 1.75/Gb. now unless my sums are wrong, at 2Mb, you can fill up 1GB in 66.7mins. the other way of looking at it is that they're giving people 30MB/day
    i know the'yre targetting the low usage users who just want speed, but these kind of caps are a license to print money imo.
    afaik, only ukonline has a realistic cap in place.
  • IanatSeaton
    I support alared - AOL takes some beating! They are in the process of doubling the line speed for all existing users at no extra cost! Not many suppliers do that!
    Also they include a free email virus checker. Most viruses are written to attack weaknesses in Microsoft Explorer - used by most ISP's, but AOL uses a modified version of IE and is thus not usually attacked by the viruses.
    Add the fact that AOL has a totally free service backup - ie they provide an 0800 number for you to ring them free! not at 75p or even 1 per minute like some ISP's charge and they have a great package which is constantly being upgraded.
    • cifpower
    • By cifpower 24th Mar 05, 2:19 AM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    cifpower
    I read the article and fir the first time I disagree with Martin. He recommend Tiscali but the cutomer service from them is woeful as http://www.theukhighstreet.com/Tiscali_R963/ testifies. He also mention the cost of buying a modem. The modem is only useful as long as you subscribe to broadband. I am with ntl and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. The FREE speed upgrade has made my PC go super-whizzy. 2mb for 24.99 with no limits. The modem is rented free of charge - you cancel the service the modem goes back. I know there has been a lot of complaints (ntl hell anyone) about the service but to contradict myself I have found it fine. There have been some problems, mainly the delays on the phone. But the 15 days it can take for a BT line to be switched on is a lot longer than the 5 days I had to wait for an ntl man (and lovely he he was too! ;-) ) to come out and fix me up.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,656Posts Today

9,424Users online

Martin's Twitter