Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    • 1,847Posts
    • 604Thanks
    lyniced
    Blue Badge 'police'
    • 31st Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    Blue Badge 'police' 31st Jul 10 at 6:04 PM
    Honestly I can't believe what has just happened. I parked in my local town in a disabled bay, and before I even got my badge out to display, some oldish (well she must have been 60s I guess - if thats ageist I do apologize) woman knocked on the window of the car and ranted on at me that her husband was disabled and she needed the space and because I don't look old (I'm 45 by the way) I guess she took issue with me and wouldn't let me get a word in. Even some passers-by were watching the spectacle unfold!

Anyway, when I finally did manage to reply that I was disabled and I did have a badge she didn't believe me and said some sniffy things. I retorted that (in a very nice way) that she shouldn't always assume things and despite her age she should be more polite.

She eventually walked off and I was left shaking - my goodness I felt like I'd been interogated by the Gestapo!!!! We don't need a police force, just old ladies with a grudge!!
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
Page 3
  • jennie-jack
    i have been shouted at in car parks for parking in disabled as im young, i have had old people wave their badges at me then get out and walk round the shops better than i could on a good day.

i will park further away or in normal parking on the days that i can but the days i cant if i need something then i have to park there. people truelly dont understand how hard it is to have to fight with yourself everyday to keep independance.
  • skipsmum
    I get hassle all the time when I park with DS age 10.
    People see me pull up with a child in the car and I get out ably, they (always elderly) then come and rant at me as I walk to the back of the car to get DSs wheelchair out. they generally fizzle out as they watch me struggle to lift DS out of the car.
    I actually only use the disabled spots because I need the extra space at the side of the car. DS hates it when people start shouting at us.
    I usually say "you don't have to be old and ignorant to get a badge you know, sometimes young disabled people are awarded them too." Occasionally I have then been cheered by bystanders!
    With Sparkles! And Shiny Things!

• lyniced
    • By lyniced 1st Aug 10, 2:53 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    On the upside, sometimes I wish I had a camera to record all the pitying looks I get when going round a shop in my wheelchair. I reckon it's a 50/50 split between patronising and challenging - there are very, very few people who just accept disabled people as they are. I get so fed up of conspicuous parents who tell their kids to "watch out for that lady", of elderly people who barge into me, of people to whom I am completely invisible. Teenagers are the most understanding group IMO, they might not understand how to hold a door open but at least they try.

I don't want special treatment, I don't want your pity, I just want to be equal to every other person in the shop.
    Originally posted by rosysparkle
    Yes 'watch out for the lady' is the usual one. Or the kids just stop and stare at you with their red-faced parents saying 'don't stare!' Also have you found that when you are in a wheelchair people don't look down and hence don't see you and turn around and almost fall on top of you. This has happened to me quite a few times. Not sure who'd come off worse - me or them??
    • colin13
    • By colin13 1st Aug 10, 3:12 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    colin13
    I suffer from MS and walk witth a walking stick,,once when I was in tesco car park,after an argument with the wife,in a very bad mood(c wot u females do ),,a yougish woman pulled up in a sporty car ,,looking fit and healthy,I noticed this and said about disabled parking only,she told me she had an artificial leg and had a blue badge,,she just forgot to put it up,she walked back quickly to her car and put her badge up,,now I challange no 1
    • only_mee
    • By only_mee 1st Aug 10, 3:38 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    only_mee
    Sadly i am as subtle as a brick and would have told her where to go, hope your ok though.
    Originally posted by dane-katie
    Same as I have and will carry on to do so.
    I'm 40 and 99% of the time the "complainers" are older than me.
  • TheBottomLine
    I get the odd whiner even though I have massive eye shields and a long white cane that scream "I'M BLIND". I just say "I've got a bad back' and walk off whistling.
    Only 3% of those registered blind in the UK have zero vision.
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 1st Aug 10, 3:49 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    Tell the nosy gits

"Having a disability is not just unique to older people", they may have been fortunate to have been able bodied most of their lives

Its bad enough when some of them say "I cant afford that I am only a pensioners" when you know for a fact they just got out of a nice shiny car or you may know they got plenty of money
    • mumps
    • By mumps 1st Aug 10, 4:02 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 12,722 Thanks
    mumps
    i also am a bb holder, im 30 something with 3 kids, one being a baby, and i have a heart condition. i rarley use my bb, because of that very fact, im to scared to!!
    i have no idea what i would do or say if someone was to challenge me, either cry or explode!! but i really i do not want the stress of it!
    Originally posted by berniesmaster
    My husband got a blue badge when I was heavily pregnant and we also had a two year old. Twenty years on and I can honestly say we have only been challenged once. A guy cut us up and DH sounded horn at him. He then watched us park and came over and asked if we had a BB. I smiled and held it up. He just sloped off.
    Sell 1500

2831.00/1500
  • Oldernotwiser
    Anybody notice a strongly ageist tone developing here? Is this any better than being prejudiced against disabled people?
  • TheBottomLine
    Anybody notice a strongly ageist tone developing here? Is this any better than being prejudiced against disabled people?
    Originally posted by Oldernotwiser
    I haven't noticed that. It's mostly old fogies who complain though, like when I sit in the disabled person's seat on the bus there's usually some old crone who has a point and mutter. Not ageist at all.
  • wornoutmumoftwo
    Until I had my son I was quite ignorant of disability, thought it was only physical disability that counted, (although I would never confront anyone parking in disabled parking).

My son has aspergers, and a lot of people say how 'normal' he looks and I think people have their own opinion of what is and isn't disabled, some obviously feel its their civil duty to 'tell' the 'offenders'.

I think every disabled spot should have a notice that not all disabilites are visible, also that people need educating on the facts surrouning diability.

I don't drive, but I know how it feels for people to pass judgement on my sons 'bad behaviour', and until I had him and learned about aspergers I was once one of those people. Now I do not avoid eye contact with people in wheelchairs, or other disabilities. There is a lady who catches the bus with a carer, most people snigger, but I make a point of speaking to her if she addresses me.

I just think the 'blue badge police' type of people are ignorant, and unless they are educated on certain facts, will remain so.
    Payment a day challenge: 236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: 202.09/250
    Frugal Living Challenge: 534.64/15000
  • ash4becks
    the young have been educated to be more accepting simple as that at school there was a few students with walking issues, bad hearing but i was in mainstream school, unless you want it back to the dark ages were many with disablitys were locked up !!!
  • Oldernotwiser
    I haven't noticed that. It's mostly old fogies who complain though, like when I sit in the disabled person's seat on the bus there's usually some old crone who has a point and mutter. Not ageist at all.
    Originally posted by TheBottomLine
    No, not ageist at all!

Mind you, I expect if people started talking about !!!!!!!s and cripples you'd be furious!
    Last edited by Oldernotwiser; 01-08-2010 at 4:32 PM.
  • Oldernotwiser
    the young have been educated to be more accepting simple as that at school there was a few students with walking issues, bad hearing but i was in mainstream school, unless you want it back to the dark ages were many with disablitys were locked up !!!
    Originally posted by ash4becks
    I don't see how that's really relevant to my post.
  • TheBottomLine
    No, not ageist at all!

Mind you, I expect if people started talking about !!!!!!!s and cripples you'd be furious!
    Something insulting in my post?

EDIT: You mean when I said 'fogies' and 'crone' I think? Well firstly, a fogy is someone who has old fashioned attitudes and is not related to age at all. Neither is crone, it simply means ugly and is not an 'ageist' word. I mean look at Helen Mirren, she's old (65) and is well fit. Look 'em up in the dictionary if you want, but please tell me you're not comparing those words with '!!!!!!!' and 'cripple'.
    Last edited by TheBottomLine; 01-08-2010 at 5:11 PM.
    • CharlieBilly
    • By CharlieBilly 1st Aug 10, 6:08 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    CharlieBilly
    Shall we be political correct then

• rosysparkle
    My experience is that in general, elderly people are less understanding of my disabilities, and more likely to challenge me when I park in a disabled space. I'm not being ageist, just honest about what I have experienced since I became ill.
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 1st Aug 10, 6:35 PM
    • 13,150 Posts
    • 11,730 Thanks
    savemoney
    Wish we did have blue badge police

I get looks to with my disabled daughter and 9/10 they are from older people I just ignore it I dont mind being approached tbh I often see blue badge scheme being abused (car parked with no blue badge). When I go to supermarket nearly always older people who use the spaces I dont dispute they aren't entitled too but maybe the perception by some of them is they naive to think only older people are some disabled
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 1st Aug 10, 6:49 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    Originally posted by TheBottomLine
    I had to chuckle - you're really funny, but SO right!
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 1st Aug 10, 6:51 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    Wish we did have blue badge police

I get looks to with my disabled daughter and 9/10 they are from older people I just ignore it I dont mind being approached tbh I often see blue badge scheme being abused (car parked with no blue badge). When I go to supermarket nearly always older people who use the spaces I dont dispute they aren't entitled too but maybe the perception by some of them is they naive to think only older people are some disabled
    Originally posted by savemoney

yeah I'd police all the supermarket disabled spaces especially at Christmas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,745Posts Today

7,610Users online

Martin's Twitter