Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    • 1,847Posts
    • 604Thanks
    lyniced
    Blue Badge 'police'
    • 31st Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    Blue Badge 'police' 31st Jul 10 at 6:04 PM
    Honestly I can't believe what has just happened. I parked in my local town in a disabled bay, and before I even got my badge out to display, some oldish (well she must have been 60s I guess - if thats ageist I do apologize) woman knocked on the window of the car and ranted on at me that her husband was disabled and she needed the space and because I don't look old (I'm 45 by the way) I guess she took issue with me and wouldn't let me get a word in. Even some passers-by were watching the spectacle unfold!

Anyway, when I finally did manage to reply that I was disabled and I did have a badge she didn't believe me and said some sniffy things. I retorted that (in a very nice way) that she shouldn't always assume things and despite her age she should be more polite.

She eventually walked off and I was left shaking - my goodness I felt like I'd been interogated by the Gestapo!!!! We don't need a police force, just old ladies with a grudge!!
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
Page 26
  • wattdallas
    Honestly, we don't ask. Look at the forums here talking about the stories of people being put through hell to claim benefits etc. It seems that claims and help are only offered to people who are a lot worse off, or really good at pretending, I struggle, but I'd rather not feel like I have to be at my worst to pass a test to prove how ill I am. We just prefer to muddle on and I keep fighting and hoping that one day a miracle will make me better. Probably sounds very stupid, but I've spent years fighting to get the doctors to tell me why I'm so ill, I'm out of fight now.
    Originally posted by KittyLady

I agree with you there,if its any consilation the worse off dont get much help either.

Just a thought but SS do have free days out for children who care, not much but better than nothing.

Hope you get a diagnosis if only for peace and mind
    Mum/carer to Dallas who has Aicardi Syndrome,everyday i look at you makes my life fulfilled.
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 29th Dec 10, 7:13 PM
    • 3,964 Posts
    • 28,832 Thanks
    SandraScarlett
    Oh my goodness, my husband has just qualified for a B/B which he only received a week ago, due to the Xmas break he hasn't had much chance to use it yet. Reading this thread it makes me wonder if he's going to be safe using it at all!
    Originally posted by freesp1r1t
    You makes sure he uses it as much as he wants to. He's been awarded the BB, because the Powers That Be decided he was entitled to one.

And that's all that matters.

xx
  • wattdallas
    As I did, caring for my mother for decades, 24/7, and now doing the same for my husband. But I don't mind, and I'm not resentful, because I loved my Mother, I love my husband, and, at the moment, I can manage.

It was a bigger struggle when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer, and I had to continue giving care to others, whilst having treatment.

But God makes the back to bear the burden, and somehow you find a way to get through it all.

xx
    Originally posted by SandraScarlett

Its hard work isnt it , Changing pads, feeding ,lifting, and not getting a whole nights sleep because of her having seizures everday.

And then she had scoliocis surgery wich went well but with massive complications ie infection three times.

And its getting harder as she is getting bigger ,but like you say you do it out of love.
    Mum/carer to Dallas who has Aicardi Syndrome,everyday i look at you makes my life fulfilled.
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 29th Dec 10, 7:29 PM
    • 10,642 Posts
    • 60,441 Thanks
    SingleSue
    I agree with you there,if its any consilation the worse off dont get much help either.

Just a thought but SS do have free days out for children who care, not much but better than nothing.

Hope you get a diagnosis if only for peace and mind
    Originally posted by wattdallas
    My son used to be a member of young carers and they helped an awful lot when he was younger with the frustration, exhaustion and anger he felt at having to help care for his brothers.

It gave him time to be himself, to have fun with other children his age and to have trips out that would not have been possible with the boys at that time. Alas, he grew out of them and has no support now, either as a carer to not only his brothers and now myself but also as a disabled person in his own right...he thinks of himself as too old for young carers but is too young for the more grown up version.
    We made it! Two graduated, 1 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 29th Dec 10, 7:37 PM
    • 10,642 Posts
    • 60,441 Thanks
    SingleSue
    Its hard work isnt it , Changing pads, feeding ,lifting, and not getting a whole nights sleep because of her having seizures everday.

And then she had scoliocis surgery wich went well but with massive complications ie infection three times.

And its getting harder as she is getting bigger ,but like you say you do it out of love.
    Exhausting work, sometimes I don't know if I am coming or going!

It got a lot harder as middle son got bigger, he was already matching me for strength before he hit 10, now at 14, he is just about taller than me, way stronger than me and restraining has become an absolute nightmare when he goes into a rage.

Youngest son is not so difficult in that area but the constant checking of his levels (severe asthma), his foods (gross food intolerances and allergies) and basically keeping him calm and going through his routines (complex autism) can be very trying...especially when his bowels decide not to play ball!

And there was me thinking it would get easier as they got older
    We made it! Two graduated, 1 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
  • wattdallas
    Exhausting work, sometimes I don't know if I am coming or going!

It got a lot harder as middle son got bigger, he was already matching me for strength before he hit 10, now at 14, he is just about taller than me, way stronger than me and restraining has become an absolute nightmare when he goes into a rage.

Youngest son is not so difficult in that area but the constant checking of his levels (severe asthma), his foods (gross food intolerances and allergies) and basically keeping him calm and going through his routines (complex autism) can be very trying...especially when his bowels decide not to play ball!

Originally posted by SingleSue
    If only
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 29th Dec 10, 9:14 PM
    • 3,964 Posts
    • 28,832 Thanks
    SandraScarlett

Oh, how I wish for 2 or 3 hours uninterrupted sleep, but, as my Granny used to say "If you wish in one hand, and s*** in the other, I know what'll get full first"!

Nothing special about what I do - I expect it's a very similar tale for lots of posters on here. It's only the details of illnesses that differ.

xx
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Dec 10, 9:33 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid

Originally posted by SingleSue
    Mum has found it does get easier; (bother has Aspergers) but I know this isn't true for everyone.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - 75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 80.25
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 29th Dec 10, 10:25 PM
    • 10,642 Posts
    • 60,441 Thanks
    SingleSue
    I think some things improve but other things get harder....well that has certainly been my experience anyway.

If middle son just had Aspergers, it may have been the case but he also has damage to the areas of his brain which deals with emotions and short term memory, which of course doesn't help with the Aspergers (or it doesn't help with them!), on top of partial deafness, bowel disorder and now probable EDS too!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 30th Dec 10, 12:11 PM
    • 40,276 Posts
    • 37,723 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    going back to who 'needs' wider spaces, I'm temporarily incapacitated, and have really struggled on a few occasions to get out of the car if the door isn't fully open, especially if I've got my walking pole with me too.

so I'm not going to say that it's only x group, or y group, that needs the extra space. I can't tell by looking at someone what their needs are, especially as it hadn't occurred to me that losing the use of one arm would mean that having the car door wide open was helpful!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 30th Dec 10, 1:32 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    going back to who 'needs' wider spaces, I'm temporarily incapacitated, and have really struggled on a few occasions to get out of the car if the door isn't fully open, especially if I've got my walking pole with me too.

so I'm not going to say that it's only x group, or y group, that needs the extra space. I can't tell by looking at someone what their needs are, especially as it hadn't occurred to me that losing the use of one arm would mean that having the car door wide open was helpful!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Some people in x group may need extra space and maybe some in y; but some could manage without the extra space - it's being close to their destination that they need.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - 75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 80.25
  • Brassedoff
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 1st Jan 11, 10:32 AM
    • 3,964 Posts
    • 28,832 Thanks
    SandraScarlett
    A Happy New Year to all posters.

xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,721Posts Today

7,262Users online

Martin's Twitter