Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    • 1,847Posts
    • 604Thanks
    lyniced
    Blue Badge 'police'
    • 31st Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    Blue Badge 'police' 31st Jul 10 at 6:04 PM
    Honestly I can't believe what has just happened. I parked in my local town in a disabled bay, and before I even got my badge out to display, some oldish (well she must have been 60s I guess - if thats ageist I do apologize) woman knocked on the window of the car and ranted on at me that her husband was disabled and she needed the space and because I don't look old (I'm 45 by the way) I guess she took issue with me and wouldn't let me get a word in. Even some passers-by were watching the spectacle unfold!

Anyway, when I finally did manage to reply that I was disabled and I did have a badge she didn't believe me and said some sniffy things. I retorted that (in a very nice way) that she shouldn't always assume things and despite her age she should be more polite.

She eventually walked off and I was left shaking - my goodness I felt like I'd been interogated by the Gestapo!!!! We don't need a police force, just old ladies with a grudge!!
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
Page 2
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 8:07 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    yes, it was on street parking
  • pwales
    yes, it was on street parking
    Originally posted by lyniced
    i ment read the red bit ive high lighted further down the post
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 8:23 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    i ment read the red bit ive high lighted further down the post
    Originally posted by pwales
    Well, when I rang the Blue Badge people and explained exactly what had happened they said that I'd done nothing wrong and couldn't understand why the traffic warden had said what he did. I then rang my council and they said that the traffic wardens has an old copy of the rules (I think it was 2006 edition). They actually thanked me for bringing it to their attention! He He!
  • pwales
    just tell the old "hag" to **** **!
    i get it all the time ..i dont look disabled till i get in my chair...and they are amazed im allowed to drive too
  • pwales
    Well, when I rang the Blue Badge people and explained exactly what had happened they said that I'd done nothing wrong and couldn't understand why the traffic warden had said what he did. I then rang my council and they said that the traffic wardens has an old copy of the rules (I think it was 2006 edition). They actually thanked me for bringing it to their attention! He He!
    if you phoned that must be right...the problem is there are old versions of the rules still in circulation then which dont help anyone
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 8:38 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    Now heres something to get you hot under the collar - my sister-in-law is a carer for the disabled an elderly and she goes and gets their shopping without them using their blue badge. I told her (nicely of course) that if she was challenged it wouldn't be she that would get into trouble, but the badge owner! Eeek!
  • pwales
    Now heres something to get you hot under the collar - my sister-in-law is a carer for the disabled an elderly and she goes and gets their shopping without them using their blue badge. I told her (nicely of course) that if she was challenged it wouldn't be she that would get into trouble, but the badge owner! Eeek!
    she putting there badge in danger big time
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 8:42 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    just tell the old "hag" to **** **!
    i get it all the time ..i dont look disabled till i get in my chair...and they are amazed im allowed to drive too

I drive an automatic which is much easier for me. Are you young then? I'm 45 and been in a wheelchair full time for about two years - up til then I used sticks. My physio said I must try and walk some of the day, which I do around the house with my walker. I get so tired just going from one room to another.
  • pwales
    I drive an automatic which is much easier for me. Are you young then? I'm 45 and been in a wheelchair full time for about two years - up til then I used sticks. My physio said I must try and walk some of the day, which I do around the house with my walker. I get so tired just going from one room to another.
    im 35... spinal cord injury from fall l4 down ive been in a chair for just 3 years ish.... i drive a fully adapted automatic
  • welshgirl_michelle
    ive had similar problems myself. im female and just turned 25 (ive had blue badge for 3 years now due to my disability) many times ive parked in tesco supermarket in disabled displaying my blue badge & by the time i return to the car there is a note on the car (from a member of public) basiclly saying i dont need 2 park in disabled etc. i always have this & i think its because i am young, have a sporty car & sometime my illness allowes me to walk unaided so it doesnt look like i have a disability. people are so judgemental & thoughtless, its really not nice!! im used to it now because it happens all the time!!
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 31st Jul 10, 9:04 PM
    • 8,597 Posts
    • 18,607 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    We've just returned from a holiday in North Wales. My son has Down's syndrome and several other disabilities. He uses a wheelchair and of course, we took it on holiday with us. We were really surprised at how many people stared at him - especially children. As we passed, some people actually turnedd around to keep looking at us. We've never experienced this in our home town, so it was a bit of a surprise. My daughter commented on it, but I just told her to ignore the ignorance that other people have.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 31st Jul 10, 9:24 PM
    • 9,251 Posts
    • 17,235 Thanks
    calleyw
    We've just returned from a holiday in North Wales. My son has Down's syndrome and several other disabilities. He uses a wheelchair and of course, we took it on holiday with us. We were really surprised at how many people stared at him - especially children. As we passed, some people actually turnedd around to keep looking at us. We've never experienced this in our home town, so it was a bit of a surprise. My daughter commented on it, but I just told her to ignore the ignorance that other people have.
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    Thats really horrible.

My husband has days when he thinks people are staring at him because of his arm and dropped foot. I tell him don't be so stupid it is me they are looking at as I am just so gorgeous

He often says he is going to get a t-shirt that says "don't stare I have had a stroke."

It is rude to stare at a person disabled or not.

Hope it did not effect the enjoyment of your holiday.

Yours

Calley
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 10:24 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    im 35... spinal cord injury from fall l4 down ive been in a chair for just 3 years ish.... i drive a fully adapted automatic

Wow thats tough - sorry to hear that. I have a genetic condition called Friedreichs Ataxia - a bit like MS. My youngest brother has it too. Its passed on by both parents having a faulty gene (carriers) and its very rare (0.5% of the population are carriers( so my parents were very unlucky. Instead of us looking after them in their old age, they are looking after us.
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 10:33 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    Its sad that people feel the need to go on a witch-hunt, because they don't think others should have a badge. My life is hard enough (it truly is) and I would give anything not to be disabled.

I watch people going out for a jog, doing the gardening, washing their car, just going for a walk arm-in-arm -I can't do that. You are so lucky if you can. Cherish the simple things in life.
  • snoopy89
    i got stoped buy a traffic warden once, asked me if i was disabled. there were loads of people around, so i pulled up both trouser legs and asked her if she wanted my calipers, hehe. of did same at dublin airport.

i feel sorry for ignorant people, its not theire fault they are brain dead.
    Last edited by snoopy89; 31-07-2010 at 11:23 PM.
  • dane-katie
    Sadly i am as subtle as a brick and would have told her where to go, hope your ok though.

Is a Bipolar bear

• rosysparkle
    I get a challenging look or two when I park in blue badge spaces but the haters tend to vanish once my daughter gets my wheelchair out. I wish that people (and I'm sorry but the elderly are the worst here) would be a little slower to judge. I am 46 but look a lot younger, and have been challenged several times when parking in disabled spaces with my blue badge.
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 11:52 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    I get a challenging look or two when I park in blue badge spaces but the haters tend to vanish once my daughter gets my wheelchair out. I wish that people (and I'm sorry but the elderly are the worst here) would be a little slower to judge. I am 46 but look a lot younger, and have been challenged several times when parking in disabled spaces with my blue badge.
    Originally posted by rosysparkle

Yes, you're absolutely right - the elderly people are the worst, and ironically they are the ones who seem more 'able' if you know what I mean.

I'm sorry if that generalises the older generation, but in my experience that has been the case. Apart from a young guy in a van, who was parked in the only disabled space left, waiting for his mate to get back from the shops. I wound my window down and asked if he was disabled to which he replied 'whats it to you?' I said you have to have a disabled badge to park here. 'I got a bad leg' came his reply. Ok, just leave it go, I said to myself. I hope his conscience was pricked,
    • Francesanne
    • By Francesanne 1st Aug 10, 12:06 AM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    Francesanne
    i also am a bb holder, im 30 something with 3 kids, one being a baby, and i have a heart condition. i rarley use my bb, because of that very fact, im to scared to!!
    i have no idea what i would do or say if someone was to challenge me, either cry or explode!! but i really i do not want the stress of it!
    Originally posted by berniesmaster
    Please use your badge. You have a very valid reason for it's use, don't let fear of ignorant people stop you from using it. They certainly wouldn't have issued with badge if your case wasn't genuine.
  • rosysparkle
    On the upside, sometimes I wish I had a camera to record all the pitying looks I get when going round a shop in my wheelchair. I reckon it's a 50/50 split between patronising and challenging - there are very, very few people who just accept disabled people as they are. I get so fed up of conspicuous parents who tell their kids to "watch out for that lady", of elderly people who barge into me, of people to whom I am completely invisible. Teenagers are the most understanding group IMO, they might not understand how to hold a door open but at least they try.

I don't want special treatment, I don't want your pity, I just want to be equal to every other person in the shop.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,125Posts Today

7,555Users online

Martin's Twitter