Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    the thinker
    DLA fraud check
    • 18th Jul 10, 2:43 PM
    DLA fraud check 18th Jul 10 at 2:43 PM
    Hi Has anyone had a letter from DLA stating that " we have received information that puts your entitlement to DLA under suspicion " along with a 6 page review of entitlement pack ??
    I am so amazed and suprised to see it - i have completed the forms and sent them off - after 2 weeks i received a letter stating that they have written to my GP and hospital for information. I have been getting DLA HRM and MRC for the past 11 years and my last renewal was 18 months ago and was awarded as "indefinate".
    Has someone taken it upon themselves to try and challenge me and the DLA as to the validity of my claim ? ie: some sort of jealousy or whatever ? it seems odd that this should occour after my receiving my new and first mobility car !! I am at twos and sixes as to what the results will be - i am of course doing NOTHING illegal and my claim is genuine. Also i have a new GP at one of these "new GP health centers " whom i have only seen a couple of times and am worried as to if he will answer the DLA questions as adequately as my old GP whom had known me for years - i hpoe so. any advice welcome thankyou.
Page 1
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 18th Jul 10, 4:30 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    • 18th Jul 10, 4:30 PM
    • 18th Jul 10, 4:30 PM
    Make an appointment with your new GP and explain to them what your care and mobility needs are. Then, if they get wrote to, they can give an accurate picture of what needs you have.
  • sox8369
    • 18th Jul 10, 4:40 PM
    • 18th Jul 10, 4:40 PM
    Sounds like someone has got an extreme case of sour grapes ! If you are happy that your claim is genuine then you really dont have anything to worry about - what makes me cross is the fact that you have been put under this stress because someone thinks they know everything - when clearly they dont - enjoy your new car and you will have the last laugh when you are still driving around in it in a few months !

Also - agree with sh - it wouldnt hurt to make an appointment with the new gp and go over everything - just to put your mind at rest .

Best of Luck x
  • pwales
    • 18th Jul 10, 5:32 PM
    • 18th Jul 10, 5:32 PM
    i think the person/s who make these complaints should be made to give there contact details to dwp, so if the report of fraud ends up to be false then they can claim all costs back to the complainant..
    if they are not willing to give there details to dwp then the complaint should just be ijnored as vindictive
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 18th Jul 10, 5:34 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    • 18th Jul 10, 5:34 PM
    • 18th Jul 10, 5:34 PM
    i think the person/s who make these complaints should be made to give there contact details to dwp, so if the report of fraud ends up to be false then they can claim all costs back to the complainant..
    if they are not willing to give there details to dwp then the complaint should just be ijnored as vindictive
    Originally posted by pwales
    I second this. Might make people think twice about making these alligations.

OP - are you getting any legal advice on this and someone to help you with the form?
  • absolutebounder
    • 18th Jul 10, 5:41 PM
    • 18th Jul 10, 5:41 PM
    Most likely an anonymous call from a jealous neighbour. We used to get them all the time. I got sent out to a man on his deathbed coz his son had parked a jag outside. fill the forms in truthfully and all should be OK
    • Breast Cancer Survivor
    • By Breast Cancer Survivor 18th Jul 10, 7:21 PM
    • 10,055 Posts
    • 26,602 Thanks
    Breast Cancer Survivor
    • 18th Jul 10, 7:21 PM
    • 18th Jul 10, 7:21 PM
    Originally posted by pwales
    I agree.

You see plenty of posts on here where people are claiming that their friend/neighbour is falsely claiming benefits etc.

One recent thread was by a woman claiming her friend must committing benefit fraud because she had read something on Facebook.

I'm all for reporting actual benefit cheats but as someone falsely accused by a malicious ex & proved innocent I know how stressful the whole experience can be.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
  • krisskross
    • 18th Jul 10, 7:33 PM
    • 18th Jul 10, 7:33 PM
    How else are they going to root out the cheats other than by medicals and investigating alerts from members of the public?
    • Breast Cancer Survivor
    • By Breast Cancer Survivor 18th Jul 10, 7:54 PM
    • 10,055 Posts
    • 26,602 Thanks
    Breast Cancer Survivor
    • 18th Jul 10, 7:54 PM
    • 18th Jul 10, 7:54 PM
    How else are they going to root out the cheats other than by medicals and investigating alerts from members of the public?
    Originally posted by krisskross
    It's fine them investigating people reported as long as the reporter gives they're details & are investigated for wasting time if the person reported turns out to be innocent.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
  • krisskross
    It's fine them investigating people reported as long as the reporter gives they're details & are investigated for wasting time if the person reported turns out to be innocent.
    Originally posted by Breast Cancer Survivor
    Do you not think this would mean that no one would report anyone?

The government WANTS possible benefit cheats reported. I think it is the duty of all of us to report anyone we suspect is claiming fraudulently.

If someone has to prove their claim is above board so what? If I was claiming from the public purse I would be more than happy to, indeed I would expect to have to, prove my entitlement to the money I was receiving.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 18th Jul 10, 8:24 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Do you not think this would mean that no one would report anyone?

The government WANTS possible benefit cheats reported. I think it is the duty of all of us to report anyone we suspect is claiming fraudulently.
    I know at least 2 peple who hae been investigated for benefit fraud. They both had their benefits stopped during the investigation and were watched by DWP 24/7. Would you like that? No, thought not.

If you suspect them, you must have your facts 100% rght. Why should they be put through this, just because someone thinks they might be committing fraud?
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 18th Jul 10, 8:26 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Members of the public generally know very little about what other peoples' needs are. Yes, a friendof mine knows I claim DLA and that I have various difficulties reading; but he doesn't know the full extent of my physical disabilities. (he does know all about my mental health problems though)
  • krisskross
    I know at least 2 peple who hae been investigated for benefit fraud. They both had their benefits stopped during the investigation and were watched by DWP 24/7. Would you like that? No, thought not.

If you suspect them, you must have your facts 100% rght. Why should they be put through this, just because someone thinks they might be committing fraud?
    Originally posted by sh1305
    Don't be naive. No one can possibly know 100%. One can however have suspicions which it is a citizens duty to report, and the DWPs decision whether or not there are grounds for investigation.

How do you suggest benefit fraud is uncovered? By waiting for cheats to own up?
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 18th Jul 10, 8:30 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Don't be naive. No one can possibly know 100%. One can however have suspicions which it is a citizens duty to report, and the DWPs decision whether or not there are grounds for investigation.
    But the suspicions have to be reasonable. Or are you seriouly suggesting that one day you may see someone d something they say they can't, they should get investiagte for supposed faud?
  • krisskross
    But the suspicions have to be reasonable. Or are you seriouly suggesting that one day you may see someone d something they say they can't, they should get investiagte for supposed faud?
    If they can do something on a regular basis that they are claiming disability benefits on the grounds that they can't do it then yes I would report them.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 18th Jul 10, 8:49 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    If they can do something on a regular basis that they are claiming disability benefits on the grounds that they can't do it then yes I would report them.
    I said one day; not regular basis.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Offering anonymity for anyone who reports benefit abuse is very important; it's just unfortunate when this is abused.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 18th Jul 10, 8:55 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Some of the time it's rather obvious who has reported it.
  • krisskross
    I said one day; not regular basis.
    If they were claiming on the basis that they couldn't do it at all but I saw them doing it even if only now and then, then yes I would report fraud.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 18th Jul 10, 9:02 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    I take it you have no idea what "better days" are?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

169Posts Today

1,976Users online

Martin's Twitter