Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • welshsue
    • By welshsue 22nd Jun 10, 1:48 PM
    • 565Posts
    • 321Thanks
    welshsue
    Budget - tougher for DLA claimants
    • 22nd Jun 10, 1:48 PM
    Budget - tougher for DLA claimants 22nd Jun 10 at 1:48 PM
    Chancellor has just announced that from 2013 all DLA claimants, new and existing, will have to have medicals.
    What happens to all the people with mental health issues who have to go through these.... the docs don't recognise it and once again we will have to fight to keep DLA.

I thought he was going to clamp down on incapacity claimants - not a mention of them.
Page 3
  • longhotbath
    1. 1304: A medical assessment will be applied to new disabilities living allowance claimants from 2013, says Mr Osborne. Taken from the BBC Website

Originally posted by isualive
    The bbc website is wrong - it is new AND existing claimants

For us, it will make the process easier - I always found filling in the forms horrendous.

hopefully my neighbour will lose it - she played the system for her child so she could have a part-time job
    Last edited by longhotbath; 22-06-2010 at 5:01 PM.
  • Oldernotwiser
    No genuine claimants need fear a medical; it's unimaginable that we have a system that allows people to claim any kind of disability benefit without one.

DLA has nothing to do with being able to work; many employed people claim DLA anyway.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 22nd Jun 10, 5:08 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    No genuine claimants need fear a medical; it's unimaginable that we have a system that allows people to claim any kind of disability benefit without one.
    Originally posted by Oldernotwiser
    I agree. It would make more sense for people to have a DLA medical.
  • snoopy89
    people like your next door neighbour should lose it and be made to pay back 10 times what she has stolan if its true, i cant stand people who think its fine to take the !!!! out of the disabled its hard enough with out that.
  • wardie2437
    Does the Chancellor indicate where the money comes from to pay a company/doctors/GP? for everyone on DLA take having to take a medical. Surely this money could be put to better use?
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 22nd Jun 10, 5:13 PM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    it seems good but as a lot of people have siad i fear those who have a mental illness will get a raw deal my partner for instance she has depression and schizophrnia but whenever folk ask he how she is she just says im fine and on some days she as happy as an ox other days its really hard
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • snoopy89
    they must have a honers degree to to able to tick a box on your behalf as well. should be worth 500 quid a week. hay i could do that from home if they paid me.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Jun 10, 5:23 PM
    • 15,512 Posts
    • 151,417 Thanks
    mardatha
    A lot of us have had to go through medicals already. It's just another hoop to jump through so they can tick a box and shove you in a filing cabinet.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 22nd Jun 10, 5:28 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    A lot of us have had to go through medicals already. It's just another hoop to jump through so they can tick a box and shove you in a filing cabinet.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    But it'll be better for people like me - I once got told by medical servicesthat I shouldn't have the problems I do. Ask anyone with the same condition whether they have the same issue - the majority will say yes.
  • snoopy89
    yes but they should stop hunding the ones they know are ok. not give us crap every time someone wants to bash us.
    • nogginthenog
    • By nogginthenog 22nd Jun 10, 5:33 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 2,684 Thanks
    nogginthenog
    There is a great deal of scaremongering on this thread.

Those who are unfit for work will not be made to work. There have been no changes made to ESA or IB today.

No one has any evidence that DLA will be any more difficult to claim than it is now.

People would worry a lot less if they actually checked their facts, rather than just making wild assumptions.
    Originally posted by dmg24
    Well said, i will be happy if i am alive in 2013.
    • devildog
    • By devildog 22nd Jun 10, 5:41 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    devildog
    Hopefully it will be a good thing. I know people that claim that really do need this help and then there are those that do play the system. Unfortunately because they play the sytem so well they are still gonna get it cause they know all the tricks!!! There used to be a person living locally who went by shall we say a few names, claimed for back trouble yet was more than able to build an extrension!! Three weeks prior to any medicals, he stopped the booze, took up the crutches and got his claim renewed!!
    Yes he was reported but do not know of outcome (he moved?)
    Those with genuine disabilities should have no fear but unfortunately I guess they will suffer because they do not know the system like some of the fit people who claim and work it, do. Sad state of affairs!!!
    • Vicky123
    • By Vicky123 22nd Jun 10, 5:51 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 9,833 Thanks
    Vicky123
    If they can find the money and do all the organizing this will take why could they not do it for means testing Child Benefit? Surely checking people's income is a whole lot easier than organizing medicals for everyone in the UK who gets DLA.
    It's typical Tory even though I expected this budget to be a whole load worse.
  • lilac_lady
    Having to take a medical examination to prove that one is unfit for work and needs more funds (DLA) to cope seems reasonable to me.

If it's proved that ATOS is playing the system to pass the statistic targets they should be diismissed and another fairer company put in its place.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 22nd Jun 10, 6:05 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Having to take a medical examination to prove that one is unfit for work and needs more funds (DLA) to cope seems reasonable to me.

If it's proved that ATOS is playing the system to pass the statistic targets they should be diismissed and another fairer company put in its place.
    Originally posted by lilac_lady
    DLA has nothing to do with working. You can work and claim DLA at the same time.
  • Happy Girl
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, one of the diseases that are currently listed as not being work assessed as it will always be with me. What happens to people like us then, especially as my incapacity benefit will no longer be payable as I will 62/63 in 2013 and I will just get my state pension?
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Originally posted by ladyabosso
    What does that bit in bold mean? Is it that if you have RA you are assessed as not being fit for work under ESA rules?

I have RA, night blindness, deafness and Aspergers and work 25 hours every week. I get HRC and HRM, and use the care payments to buy aids to help me be independent indoors, and the mobility to pay for taxis to and from work, a distance that most people would walk easily

Every day I work, I have to set my alarm for 5am in order to get mobile enough to leave home for work. Then I go to work, swallow copious painkillers, spend the day sitting at my desk cos walking around hurts me and so does standing for more than a minute, and then spend the rest of the day recovering from the fatigue and stress that going to work that day and getting up so early has caused me. I do this because I feel better in my self worth having made the effort, and I enjoy having money to spend as I wish

But if I was to stop the struggle, would the ESA rules allow me to stay off work permanently?
  • burkey365
    why all the worry, DLA is for a disability not because you cant work so if its a genuine disability then the medical will show this, also a lot of people on this forum are saying they know someone with depression and they cant get out of bed sometimes, surely the payment of cash they receive does not suddenly make them want to get up and feel ok again otherwise a job paying cash would have the same effect..i fail to see how depression is actually a disability an illness maybe but not a disability and Happy Girl, i thought HRC was given because you need constant care day and night, doesnt sound like you need that to me if your at work 25hrs
    Last edited by burkey365; 22-06-2010 at 6:11 PM. Reason: hadnt finished typing
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 22nd Jun 10, 6:21 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    i fail to see how depression is actually a disability an illness maybe but not a disability
    Originally posted by burkey365
    I've just spat my tea everywhere, thank you! So, there's nothing wrong with wanting to sleep all the time, running away, wanting to harm yourself, etc?
  • burkey365
    thats an illness and so you will receive benefits for it, its not a disability, you stated you can run and also make tea...theres jobs for that
  • jennie-jack
    im wondering if those of us that have had a medical will be able to keep our claim or wether it will need to be checked with another medical.

also does this include children, im not sure my son would be happy with a medical but im sure would flash his feeding tube if made to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,570Posts Today

7,051Users online

Martin's Twitter