Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • jazabelle
    • By jazabelle 12th Jan 10, 10:32 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 4,682 Thanks
    jazabelle
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:32 PM
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:32 PM
    Thanks, put my name on it.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 12th Jan 10, 10:40 PM
    • 10,937 Posts
    • 9,860 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:40 PM
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:40 PM
    Oh yes,this country is swimming with money. Pity the poor taxpayer. count me out.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • happylion1
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:53 PM
    Petition
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:53 PM
    Have signed this and put it on facebook, thanks for finding this, it is about time something was done.
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 12th Jan 10, 10:55 PM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:55 PM
    • 12th Jan 10, 10:55 PM
    Is this for real?

Even working taxpayers are struggling to pay heating bills right now.

Personally, I could do with some help :confused:
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 12th Jan 10, 11:17 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    • 12th Jan 10, 11:17 PM
    • 12th Jan 10, 11:17 PM
    Is this for real?

Even working taxpayers are struggling to pay heating bills right now.

Personally, I could do with some help :confused:
    Originally posted by welshmoneylover
    but some of us disabled people use more gas and electric.
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 12th Jan 10, 11:27 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 2,800 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    • 12th Jan 10, 11:27 PM
    Disabled can feel the cold as much as elderly especially if you have issues with circulation
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 12th Jan 10, 11:27 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    Would this be to every disabled person or people who just receive DLA? Would it be for everyone on DLA if not only certain criteria - those on lower rate care and mobility through to the high rate care and mobility or what?? It seems very vague and for some reason I'm not comfortable with it, although I receive DLA for both criteria.

Where does it end?! Yes I am finding it hard but so are others, people on low wages with families to feed, people living in damp and haven't any heating. I know it would be wonderful to receive winter fuel payment but this country is struggling through a recession!

Sorry, nothing against the op or anyone who signs.
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 12th Jan 10, 11:29 PM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    • 12th Jan 10, 11:29 PM
    • 12th Jan 10, 11:29 PM
    So do working people.

I've had kids at home from school while I'm at work.

Obviously the heating has been on more, plus it's also been left on over night to avoid any pipes freezing up.

'Healthy' people can feel the cold, I for one, feel the cold more than others as I have a touch of raynards.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 12th Jan 10, 11:36 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    So do working people.

Obviously the heating has been on more, plus it's also been left on over night to avoid any pipes freezing up.

'Healthy' people can feel the cold, I for one, feel the cold more than others as I have a touch of raynards.
    Except, you can walk to warm yourself up. People with mobility difficulties can't. Some of us also have problems controlling body temperature.

Since when did "I am disabled" equate to "I don't work"?
  • johnwayne
    Would this be to every disabled person or people who just receive DLA? Would it be for everyone on DLA if not only certain criteria - those on lower rate care and mobility through to the high rate care and mobility or what?? It seems very vague and for some reason I'm not comfortable with it, although I receive DLA for both criteria.

Where does it end?! Yes I am finding it hard but so are others, people on low wages with families to feed, people living in damp and haven't any heating. I know it would be wonderful to receive winter fuel payment but this country is struggling through a recession!

Sorry, nothing against the op or anyone who signs.
    Originally posted by TOBRUK
    No offence taken.

I am not sure where it ends. I just think that the government need to look into it.

I myself am not in receipt of DLA (although I am considering applying for it).
  • johnwayne
    So do working people.

I too have Raynauds although more than a touch of it.

I also have 2 chronic illnesses & the cold makes these conditions so much more painful.

Cold and damp does affect disabled & elderly people more than normal people.
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 12th Jan 10, 11:49 PM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    The cold and damp and ice also affects me when I'm scrapping my car windscreen at 5.30am. Takes me bloody hours to defrost myself, never mind the car.

Heating bills are high for everyone right now.
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 12th Jan 10, 11:58 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    I too have Raynauds although more than a touch of it.

I also have 2 chronic illnesses & the cold makes these conditions so much more painful.

Cold and damp does affect disabled & elderly people more than normal people.
    Originally posted by johnwayne
    I do agree with you johnwayne, I too have a chronic condition and am almost housebound plus mobility problems. I am dreading the gas and electric bill but since I've also only just had a major operation I really can't turn down nor turn off the heating.

I do understand why there is need for much more to be done but not sure about the wording of the petition or see where it would end.

One thing is certain there are going to be people who will argue our need is gtreater than yours or theirs etc!
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 13th Jan 10, 12:07 AM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    One thing is certain there are going to be people who will argue our need is gtreater than yours or theirs etc!
    Originally posted by TOBRUK
    I agree.

There was a live chat on the number 10 site last week, asking one of the MPs questions about issues related to benefits and cold weather.

She said:
    "The reason is that there are other benefits designed specifically to meet the year round costs, including heating. Disability Living Allowance is paid weekly and over the year it is in fact much higher than a winter fuel payment."

and
    "for those who get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component or who are terminally ill, and getting the highest rate of care component DLA, that benefit is supposed to cover the extra costs they face. "
  • DX2
    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/winterfuelforall/
    That's just too funny the creator of this petition would be far better getting her facts right before she went on a rant! and 400 :rolleyes: please.

Winter fuel payments are at present guaranteed to those over the age of sixty. However there are many people out there who have long term chronic illnesses which means they often need their heating on for longer than normal but are afraid too because of the cost. If a payment was guaranteed for 400 it would really lift the burden that we currently face. At present I have to use several blankets to try and keep warm as I am worried about the heating bill and will only have the heating on a couple of times a day. I implore the government to look into this and see that something gets done for us. If you get a means tested benefit it means you lose out and those on Job Seekers Allowance and the like can get all and everything. The system needs to be fairer to the disabled people of this country.
    Part in bold crock of horse poo.
  • KimYeovil
    What a disgusting and ridiculous idea. Many disabled people are already given ten to fifteen times the winter fuel allowance in extra benefits as it is. But apparently that's still not enough. That money is not given to them so that they can afford to buy food in Marks and Spencer. The greed of some is despicable.
  • Aputsiaq
    Thought some of you on here would be intersested in signing this petition asking the government to pay the winter fuel payment to disabled people as well. Most disabled people find that cold makes their conditions worsen.

I know there have been other petitions in the past but it doesnt hurt to keep the pressure up on them does it!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/winterfuelforall/

Just to clarify that the petition asks that winter fuel payment is payable to all those in receipt of DLA. DLA is not a means tested benefit so therefore diabled people who are in work would also get it if the government agrees.

I am not the proposer of this petition I just came across it on the Fibromyalgia forum & thought it would be of interest to some.
    Originally posted by johnwayne
    DLA provides extra for the disabled to cover things such as this.
    There are thousands of people who could benefit from more heat at any time of the year who do not get any benefits and they have no help whatsoever.
    Get lots of layers on, sit under a nice fleece and have your heating on as normal. No probs.
  • Aputsiaq
    but some of us disabled people use more gas and electric.
    Originally posted by sh1305
    Oh deary me, do you? So do young families with little children, where is their help? Where is the help for a number of people with 100's of illnesses that don't class as disabilites?
    If you are severly disabled you will get disability benefit, and therefore will get the CWP.
    If you are on other DLA, then that is what the DLA is for, to help you live a normal life.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 13th Jan 10, 7:23 AM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 4,577 Thanks
    _shel
    Although when I'm at home for days after having cluster seizures I use extra heating in winter I really cant sign this.

Both DH and I get DLA but why on earth should we be paid a cold weather payment? We get DLA to pay for extra disability needs (including heating when needed) and we both work and get tax credits due to disability to pay for 'life'.

It realy would not be equal or fair to pay us this.

It really wasn't thought through before posting here or on the Number10 site was it?
    Last edited by _shel; 13-01-2010 at 9:06 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,500Posts Today

7,809Users online

Martin's Twitter