Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
  • Madasafish Customer Care
    Hi Deanos and Manik,

In response to your query regarding the future...

Certainly, 8Mb is going to become the benchmark now, so youíll not see a huge increase in speed until the introduction of ADSL2. Upgrades to ADSL2 are not going to happen within the next couple of years for most providers.

As this relates to price, most providers using BTís network, which is the vast majority, arenít going to see any vast wholesale price reductions for any considerable amount of time, as a result of the deal between BT and OFCOM to fix IPstream pricing.

As our wholesale price isnít going to change, itís not feasible for our retail price to change.

Over the long term, yes, I believe that prices will drop (as it does with all technology). My crystal ball says (and it could be wrong) that weíre not going to see a change in the BT Wholesale prices for quite some time, so youíll be waiting a while if thatís whatís holding you back from broadband. And considering that most broadband packages are now less expensive than dial upÖ.

Historically speaking, in terms of Madasafish, when we increased the usage allowance it was for existing and new customers. Same with upgrading customers to MAX ADSL (8Mb), itís moving ahead for existing and new customers. You donít have to be a new customer to get the best deal if youíre with a supplier who looks out for their existing customers too.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
    Madasafish Customer Care
    • cheghead
    • By cheghead 30th Mar 06, 3:00 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    cheghead
    Hi Samara

just pm'd you with question, could you check for a reply?
    • cheghead
    • By cheghead 30th Mar 06, 3:15 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    cheghead
    Thanks for reply. Will sign up today!
    • cheghead
    • By cheghead 30th Mar 06, 3:44 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    cheghead
    Just Signed-up!
    Welcome to Madasafish!

Please feel free to PM me at any time if you have any queries regarding set up and installation - I'm happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • sloughflint
    Just Signed-up!
    by cheghead
    WOO-HOO.
    That must mean you got your MAC key, I hope.
    As for me, I connected new modem to laptop and I think I connected ok to Madasafish. Difficult to tell though. Samara can you advise how I can check? When I first connected modem, couldn't connect but put in MAAF username and password and hey presto so I think it worked but a little part of me would like to see in capital letters connected to MAAF and not TT!

Tried changing username and password on netgear modem router to PC and no luck so will have to play around with that. I'm sure that I saw on another thread, that someone only had to change username and password and nothing else.But for now at least I have BB on laptop. I would like to do away with the free modem though so I hope it's just stupid me and not incompatibility with netgear.
    • cheghead
    • By cheghead 30th Mar 06, 5:00 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    cheghead
    Yep..finally got it thanks!
    Hello Sloughflint,

With your existing router, you'll need to disconnect it from the Internet (or reset it) and then enter your Madasafish Broadband username and password.

To see if youíre connected to your services, you log into "My Account" from our homepage. Once in, click on "Monthly Usage" and you'll see if you're accruing usage.

Likewise you can PM me your username and I can check to see if you're accessing our network.

Welcome to Madasafish!

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • sloughflint
    Hello Sloughflint,

With your existing router, you'll need to disconnect it from the Internet (or reset it) and then enter your Madasafish Broadband username and password.

To see if you’re connected to your services, you log into "My Account" from our homepage. Once in, click on "Monthly Usage" and you'll see if you're accruing usage.

Likewise you can PM me your username and I can check to see if you're accessing our network.

Welcome to Madasafish!

Kind regards,
    Samara
    by Madasafish Customer Care
    You are such a star. I think I will PM you. It's showing 0.0GB but then surfing just a few pages wouldn't even make 0.1GB so it would take a while to accrue. This is how untechnical I am. Would unplugging the netgear from phoneline be enough to disconnect. I am definitely going to have to get manuals out and do a bit of work. I'm sure I'll get there in the end.
    • mmm
    • By mmm 2nd Apr 06, 3:15 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mmm
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of
    1.) having a fixed IP address and
    2.) accepting the offer of a free domain
    from Madasafish.
    I haver recently signed up with Madasafish and I am holding back on informing friends of my new email address until I have made the decision about the free domain offer.
    TIA
    Hello Mmm,

I'll do my best to answer your queries:

1.) Having a fixed IP address.

You can choose to have a free static IP address with Madasafish. The static IP address is mostly used by Online Gamers and those who work from home and their company requires the use of a static IP address for security reasons. There is no clear cut 'advantage' or 'disadvantage' to having a static IP address - If your work or the online games you participate in require you to have one, they're free for the taking.

2.) Accepting the offer of a free domain from Madasafish.
    There are two advantages of claiming the free domain name with Madasafish.

The first advantage is quite simple, with most ISPs when you get webspace, you have to find it by going to www.your_isp_name.co.uk/~yourusername. A free domain name used in conjunction with your free webspace will make your webpage more accessible and more memorable.

The second advantage is that it gives you the opportunity to create a truly memorable and unique email address. When you claim your domain, www.yourdomain.co.uk you get all the possible variations of email addresses that end in @yourdomain.co.uk. You will get a free email address that ends in @madasafish.com, but you don't need to use it. I personally recommend using the email address that ends in your free domain name. This will give you greater flexibility in the future as you won't be tied into an ISP for your email address. If you wish to change ISPs in the future, you can take your domain name with you.

If you visit this thread I've explained the benefits of the free domain name in helping manage Spam.

I hope that is helpful and please feel free to PM me or post again with any further queries.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • msampson
    adslmax to 8mb
    greetings,

i am thinking of migrating to madasafish but i have a couple of questions about the new dslmax upgrades that are now going on.

1 my bt exchange has been upgraded to max dsl and i can now get 4 to 6 mb speeds.when i check bt wholesale, dsl zone, samknows, speed checks it says i can recieve 4 to 6mb. but when i plce my phone number in madasafishs speed check order it says my line has not been upgaradedyet to maxdsl and it says i can only get a max of 2mb which is my current speed? have madasafish not decided to wait or is the checker faulty?

2 if i do migrate to madasafish how soon will the speed upgrade happen?

3 is it safe for me to place a migration order with it showing 2mb speed as i will recieve 4 to 6mb anyway as bt wholesale have confirmed my line has been dslmax?

cheers for any help!
    Hello Msampson,

Please try signing up again, the checker has now been updated.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • msampson
    thanks samara for your help and i have just checked and it has been updated!

thanks for your help,
    • mmm
    • By mmm 3rd Apr 06, 5:20 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mmm
    Hello Mmm,

1.) Having a fixed IP address.

You can choose to have a free static IP address with Madasafish. The static IP address is mostly used by Online Gamers and those who work from home and their company requires the use of a static IP address for security reasons. There is no clear cut 'advantage' or 'disadvantage' to having a static IP address - If your work or the online games you participate in require you to have one, they're free for the taking.

2.) Accepting the offer of a free domain from Madasafish.
    There are two advantages of claiming the free domain name with Madasafish.

The first advantage is quite simple, with most ISPs when you get webspace, you have to find it by going to www.your_isp_name.co.uk/~yourusername. A free domain name used in conjunction with your free webspace will make your webpage more accessible and more memorable.

The second advantage is that it gives you the opportunity to create a truly memorable and unique email address. When you claim your domain, www.yourdomain.co.uk you get all the possible variations of email addresses that end in @yourdomain.co.uk. You will get a free email address that ends in @madasafish.com, but you don't need to use it. I personally recommend using the email address that ends in your free domain name. This will give you greater flexibility in the future as you won't be tied into an ISP for your email address. If you wish to change ISPs in the future, you can take your domain name with you.

If you visit this thread I've explained the benefits of the free domain name in helping manage Spam.

I hope that is helpful and please feel free to PM me or post again with any further queries.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
    by Madasafish Customer Care
    Thanks for the prompt help
  • sloughflint
    Samara,
    I didn't take up the free domain thing as I assumed that it was linked to MAAF and wasn't sure of repercussions if I left in the future. Have just read your previous post and I'm not sure anymore. Is the domain portable? Can I then create an email address that I can keep no matter who my broadband provider is in future years? I'm confused.
    Hello Sloughflint,

When you claim a domain name with us, you can indeed move it to a different hosting provider at any time you wish.

You can do this via the "My Account" link on our homepage. There is a menu item there called "Domain Transfer".

This way you can create an email address associated with your free domain name, and if you decide in the future that you do not wish to stay with us (although I hope you will), you can take your domain name and email address with you.

One thing to note is that we can only accept one domain name for each account - when you claim your domain name please ensure that it's the one you want and the spelling is correct before you submit it as your domain as we can't change them once they've been accepted.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • sloughflint
    Thanks once again Samara.
    Feel free to call me thickie but:
    1. I'm still not sure what you mean by "you can indeed move it to a different hosting provider at any time you wish"
    Is hosting provider same as ISP? Hypothetically speaking say I moved to BT broadband in 13 months time, what would happen to my specially created email ( currently use gmail via gmail website or pop3 outlook) and how could I access it?
    2. Have just received email about 8meg broadband offering me to try to upgrade but possibilty of intermittent disconnections. I thought MAAF automatically went for highest possible speed. I am on 1 meg but speed tests seem to average at 0.85 meg. What should I do? Does it cost any extra?
    Feel free to tell me to bog off and email technical support instead if that's more appropriate but thought other MS readers might have same queries.
  • sloughflint
    Please ignore part 2 of last post. just seen other thread so have signed up. Probably a long queue in front of me!
    part 1 still baffles me.
    Hello Sloughflint,

Question 1

A hosting provider is not necessarily the same thing as an ISP (Internet Service Provider). A hosting provider just 'hosts' the website but doesn't provide you with your Internet connection. However some hosting providers are now offering Internet connection so the line is getting a little fuzzy!

Have a look at www.easily.co.uk. They'll host domain names and allow you to set up a mail account too with that domain.

To give you an idea of what that would cost, looking at the Easily website, they charge £9.99 for 2 years on a UK domain names (these are what we offer). If you wish to have email your domain hosting, that's £9.99 for the year (POP/IMAP/Web email). On average that would be £14.98 a year.

You may also find that if you switch to a different Internet Service Provider that your new ISP will host the domain for you and you can just transfer the domain to them.

Question 2

We do automatically go for the highest speed possible - This used to be speeds up to 2Mb.

However if your local exchange has just been upgraded to speeds up to 8Mb, there is now a new highest speed available to you.

The upgrade is free of charge.

I hope that is helpful, please feel free to ask more questions if you've got them!

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
    Madasafish Customer Care
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,568Posts Today

6,996Users online

Martin's Twitter