Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    GotNoRhythm
    Help for Hearing Impairment
    • 16th Oct 08, 1:12 AM
    Help for Hearing Impairment 16th Oct 08 at 1:12 AM
    Hi all,
    I thought I'd set up a thread for people (like me) with hearing impairments I have two CIC hearing aids and can't really hear much at all without them!!

I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any sort of equipment that I can use in conjunction with (or in place of) my alarm clock. I've reached a point now where I can't hear it unless I sleep with one of my hearing aids in - not ideal!!

I got funding for my hearing aids through access to work. Would this be a good place to try? (Do they still exist??! It's about 5 years since I last spoke to them!) The little company that supplied my hearing aids were wonderful but sadly don't exist anymore, and I don't like the company that bought them out (plus it's about 45 miles away from where I live)

Many thanks,
    GNR xx
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Page 63
    • Hear-Hear
    • By Hear-Hear 26th Jan 18, 12:14 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Hear-Hear
    Sue - don't even think about cancelling the appointment for replacing your lost hearing aid. Get that part sorted first. Once that's done, you can then instruct your GP to make the audiology referral for re-testing and re-programming. Smother him/her with kindness, and with a reminder that the national guidelines are re-testing etc at least every 3 years (your own CCG may possibly have a shorter cycle, but it won't be longer), and that you are overdue but need an actual referral to activate it all. You may well find that the older aid is upgraded at that time too !
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 26th Jan 18, 1:22 AM
    • 40,285 Posts
    • 37,732 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Thanks ...

You may well find that the older aid is upgraded at that time too !
    Originally posted by Hear-Hear
    I'm not sure I'm particularly excited by that: the hearing aid I liked best was the first one I had: it had three settings - 'all around', 'in your face' and the loop. And it had a volume control. The setting I used most was 'in your face', closely followed by the loop.

First upgrade I lost the volume control and the 'in your face' setting. Apparently this aid was SO clever it knew what I wanted to hear and how loud I wanted it to be. As soon as I could, I changed it for one with a volume control, but I still miss 'in your face'. I don't need to hear the racket all around me in a noisy environment: I want to hear what the person facing me is saying!!!!

Anyway, it's the mould I'm most dreading. You may remember I've worked my way through a fully fitted mould, various tulips and mushrooms, and eventually had a mietal mould - I've never been able to find it online but it was a sort of half mould, in a fetching pink. But it took multiple attempts to get the right one ordered and fitted, and even then it wasn't comfortable. It just itches and irritates, and after a couple of hours it's just a relief to get it out.

After a couple of visits I gave up trying. I'm sure I'm a heart-sink patient at Audiology ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • cairndog
    • By cairndog 26th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cairndog
    Specsavers Private Hearing Aids---Confused?
    I have decided to get a test and advice at Specsavers after having NHS aids for 10yrs,
    I am now 77 and need to make the most use of my savings to give me a better quality of life.
    I belong to 2 interest groups but don't go much as I can't keep up with what people say and miss out on any demonstrations.
    I can't watch TV without subtitles (which are a joke and annoy other people). The phone is a nightmare too.

It seems Specsavers use 2 makes, Widex Unique from 1,695 - 2795,
    And Signia Primax from 2,295 - 2,795.So all very expensive and I need to make the best choice.

Has anyone any advice or experience with these please ?
    Thanks.
    • Hear-Hear
    • By Hear-Hear 26th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Hear-Hear
    Sue - ask for 'Open Jaw' impressions to be taken for your new earmoulds.
    • Hear-Hear
    • By Hear-Hear 26th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Hear-Hear
    Cairndog - you've described a not-too-challenging lifestyle there, so unless you have more specific listening needs, why do need to choose from their top-of-range aids? The prices you have shown are for the most sophisticated technology they have available. Probably worth asking why the Widex and Siemens models from the mid-range weren't recommended to you.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Mar 18, 5:24 PM
    • 40,285 Posts
    • 37,732 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Sue - ask for 'Open Jaw' impressions to be taken for your new earmoulds.
    Well. I've been, twice now. First time to get impression for a new mould for the new hearing aid. I'm not sure the audiologist was convinced by the request for open jaw, but she did it.

But in order to have my hearing re-tested, she had to refer me (to her own department). She couldn't just re-test me. So I decided to have both the hearing test and the mould fitting on the same day. That was Friday.

My hearing is still OK in my right ear, all 'above the line', but the left ear has dropped from five years ago - yes it's five years since they last tested my hearing, and I had to ask for that back then. And as well as the lower frequencies, I'm now losing the higher frequencies, and it's classed as moderate rather than mild.

I can't say I was surprised: I knew it was worse than it used to be. A bit surprised the right is still as good as it was, but that's a relief because at least I can still use the phone effectively!

They do intend to upgrade me, but for now they've just given me a replacement of the original. The new one will have FOUR settings so I'm hoping I can get back my 'in your face' setting which is really all I need most of the time: I can't hear in noisy situations!

And eventually I can have it in silver rather than beige, but I may have to start off with beige. Choice of black, silver, beige and brown. When will I be able to have bright sparkly pink?

The new mould is bright pink and sparkly so very happy about that. It has been coated with some anti-allergy stuff in the hope it won't make my ear itch so much. I can't say it's truly comfortable, but it's at least partly because I'm unused to it.

Oh, and I told my boss it's getting worse, and she asked if I'd be happy telling all my colleagues, which I am. She asked if I needed any adaptations at work, which I don't - I have a thing for meetings should it become necessary, but it's not yet. Quite a few of them know I have a hearing loss, but the newer ones don't.

Edited to add ...

Forgot to say the audiologist has referred me to ENT in case there is some reason why the loss has got worse. She suspects it is 'just' old age and decrepitude (too polite to say so of course!) / the passage of time but thinks it's worth being sure.
    Last edited by Savvy_Sue; 17-03-2018 at 9:01 PM. Reason: added the last bit
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 30th May 18, 12:49 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus
    I have decided to get a test and advice at Specsavers after having NHS aids for 10yrs,
    I am now 77 and need to make the most use of my savings to give me a better quality of life.
    I belong to 2 interest groups but don't go much as I can't keep up with what people say and miss out on any demonstrations.
    I can't watch TV without subtitles (which are a joke and annoy other people). The phone is a nightmare too.

And Signia Primax from 2,295 - 2,795.So all very expensive and I need to make the best choice.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by cairndog

Although I would admit getting aids privately is a whole different experience to via the NHS - have you been offered any by the NHS?

Do you have any Independent hearing aid suppliers locally? When I wore aids from a private supplier, I found the Independent less expensive and more responsive.
    • altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 30th May 18, 12:52 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus

Thanks.

Although I would admit getting aids privately is a whole different experience to via the NHS.

Do you have any Independent hearing aid suppliers locally? When I wore aids from a private supplier, I found the Independent less expensive and more responsive.
    • cairndog
    • By cairndog 31st May 18, 12:37 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cairndog
    Independant H/Aid Supplier
    Although I would admit getting aids privately is a whole different experience to via the NHS.

Originally posted by altocumulus

Thanks altocumulus, a friend has tried one in this area but felt they were sold one stronger (so more expensive) than necessary.
    Hard to decide it's so complicated as they're all in business to make money.
    But I'm fed up with the Siemens Octive M+ I have from NHS
    • cairndog
    • By cairndog 31st May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cairndog
    Nhs Hearing Aids Versus Private
    Cairndog - you've described a not-too-challenging lifestyle there, so unless you have more specific listening needs, why do need to choose from their top-of-range aids? The prices you have shown are for the most sophisticated technology they have available. Probably worth asking why the Widex and Siemens models from the mid-range weren't recommended to you.

Hear-Hear, since your reply in January I've had another NHS test and one ear is a bit worse than 2yrs ago.

I have a Siemens Octive M+ at present. I dont know what that equates to in the Widex and Siemens models from Specsavers, Boots etc.
    Someone suggested trying n Independant supplier, but are they truly independant ? I'm rather sceptical about that.
    Can I have your views please.
    • altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 31st May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus
    Hear-Hear, since your reply in January I've had another NHS test and one ear is a bit worse than 2yrs ago.

I have a Siemens Octive M+ at present. I dont know what that equates to in the Widex and Siemens models from Specsavers, Boots etc.
    Someone suggested trying n Independant supplier, but are they truly independant ? I'm rather sceptical about that.

I don't know, but experience does suggest NHS aids are of a lower spec than those you are offered privately! When I started privately I could get ITE, as opposed to OTE with NHS and the latter were only offering one - not two.

I appreciate it's not an easy decision for you, especially if money's a bit tight. Have you tackled your audiology department for an alternative (though if they're like mine they probably couldn't care less! - I'd be wearing a baha now if mine had been more supportive 10 years ago.....)
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 31st May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 40,285 Posts
    • 37,732 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    My experience is that they want to 'upgrade' my NHS hearing aid at the drop of a hat, whether or not I want or need them to!

The latest one is SO fiddly to use: I used to be able to switch it on and off while it was still in the ear (if I'd lost track of what settings I'd adjusted it to, or to quickly check if it was actually working or not). Not a hope with this one, although on my checkup I was told the battery compartment would become slightly less stiff with time. But I also struggle to 'feel' which is the volume control and which is the changing programmes control.
    Still knitting!
    • Hear-Hear
    • By Hear-Hear 1st Jun 18, 12:07 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Hear-Hear

Siemens Octiv M+ is a made-for-the-NHS aid, so no other Widex or Siemens model to compare like-for-like with. In fact, the Octiv became obsolete about 2 years ago I think, and was replaced at the time by the Siemens Teneo range. However, Specsavers and Boots etc supply only the latest (or in some cases, very recent) technology, so all of their models will have the benefit of significant technological advances.

Independent means not owned by a manufacturer. Specsavers is independent by that definition, but only deals with 3 or 4 manufacturers, so you could argue that they may not be ? Boots Hearing is not independent, but deals with a handful of other manufacturers besides their owner. I'd suggest that even the smallest of audiology 'independent' firms are unlikely to deal with all the manufacturers, but would have good relationships with perhaps 3 or 4 manufacturers.

The upside to all this is that an audiologist will have strong trading relationships with selected manufacturers, a thorough understanding of the products from these manufacturers, and an ability to work with the nuances of the various software programmes to tailor the performance of the hearing aids more accurately to the individual's needs.
    • Hear-Hear
    • By Hear-Hear 1st Jun 18, 7:03 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Hear-Hear
    Phonak produce a massive range of hearing aid styles and technologies. Some of these apply to NHS only, other apply to Private supply only, and others (such as the Lyric) to specific firms that have been fully trained and authorised by Phonak.

The best direction I could give you is to contact the manufacturer at Phonak, Sonova House, Lakeside Drive, Center Park, Warrington WA1 1RX.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Hear-Hear; 01-06-2018 at 7:06 PM.
    • omya
    • By omya 8th Jun 18, 9:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    omya
    Resound Alera
    Hi

I have been diagnosed with Otosclerosis 3 years ago in my left ear, was using NHS hearing aids. Then 3 months ago, my right ear started to show symptoms of Otosclerosis as well, did the hearing test and was given 2 hearing aids yesterday. Still trying to adapt to the new situation, also trying to link/pair the new hearing aids with my Android phone but with no luck.

My hearing aids are Resound Alera, and my phone is OnePlus 6 which is the newest version.

Could anyone advise/help on how to pair the hearing aids with the Android phone?
    Thank you in advance.
    • Hear-Hear
    • By Hear-Hear 10th Jun 18, 12:40 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Hear-Hear
    Resound Alera are obsolete hearing aids. Can't remember how long ago they stopped making them, but your audiologist may be able to tell you. The audio should also be able to show you if it is possible to pair your old aids with your android phone, or whether you need something current, like the Resound Linx. You might also need to consider an iPhone, as this is the mobile technology that Resound software works automatically with.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 25th Apr 19, 10:48 PM
    • 40,285 Posts
    • 37,732 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Forgot to say the audiologist has referred me to ENT in case there is some reason why the loss has got worse. She suspects it is 'just' old age and decrepitude (too polite to say so of course!) / the passage of time but thinks it's worth being sure.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    another year, another update ...

Actually that's good news: when I saw ENT last year, the consultant sent me for an MRI scan, and there was nothing untoward there. It also served as my final brain scan following the benign brain tumour I had out in 1995, although I didn't know it at the time! But ENT looked for signs of regrowth, and there were none.

After the scan, the ENT chap said that if I'd like annual hearing tests, he would be happy to schedule them. And sure enough, my invitation to make an appointment arrived, and it wasn't too difficult to convince them to make one for me:

Them: "we usually only test hearing every three years, and you had a test last year."

Me: "yes, I know, but YOU sent the letter out, and the consultant agreed that I should have an annual test."

Them: "oh, OK then ..."

Anyway, it turned out to be a 'quick' test, and my right ear remains stable. The left ear isn't TOO much worse, although it feels it, but "you don't meet the clinical criteria for a full retest, but I think we should do one anyway, and then we can tweak your hearing aid." So just got to wait for that to come through.

Oh, and apparently I have the most up-to-date hearing aid, so even though I still find it very fiddly, I'll have to live with it.
    Still knitting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

3,329Users online

Martin's Twitter