Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swebb
    • By swebb 29th Jul 05, 8:20 PM
    • 1,029Posts
    • 595Thanks
    swebb
    Virgin Media Retention thread
    • 29th Jul 05, 8:20 PM
    Virgin Media Retention thread 29th Jul 05 at 8:20 PM
    Following my phone call to NTL yesterday, I thought I ought to make people aware. Seeing some other postings, I decided to try and get a better deal for my broadband. I'm on 2MB @ 24.99 a month and have been a customer for 2 years. I phoned, mentioned Tiscali equivalent is 17.99 and got 3MB @ 17.50 for 3 months. I explained that in 3 months I'll be in the same situation, so why should I stay? The lady explained that this is the best offer she can do at the moment - the offers change and to ring back in 3 months. So basically, if you ring every 3 months you can get the better deal all the time - the lady confirmed this with me. 17.50 for 3 MB of broadband is very good. I think it's 37 a month normally. I don't mind ringing every 3 months if I can get this sort of deal. Thought this might be useful for others.
Page 3
    • Umer
    • By Umer 26th Aug 05, 8:09 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Umer
    Thanks for this!

I was on the 17.99 1mb package. I phoned 08000 522 000 and chose the chaning packages option. I said I was thinking about leaving and quoted tiscalli offering 15.99 for 2mb, bulldog doing 8mb for 17.50 and even ntl were offering new customers the 9.99 for 12 months - and asked if they could offer me anything... and straight away the lady said she'd be able to match the 9.99 for 12 months offer Couldn't wait to put down the phone to start laughing! It was so easy!

Nearly 100 saving for the year! Thanks a lot!
    • COS
    • By COS 27th Aug 05, 2:24 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    COS
    I have Been with this dreadful company NTL since 22 June 2005 and made over 30 phone calls complaining due to the fact they firstly installed the equipment and then did'nt did'nt switch the Phone TV or the Internet on ,the excuse was that no one had actually installed the equipment at my address untill they realised that thay had connected another address of which still did'nt satisfy NTL as they have since cut me off six times and today I have full service apart from the interactive TV.

NTL have warned me that I am not allowed to use there equipment to buy or sell on Ebay. I have requested compensation I am now being charged 20.00 per month for TV + Family channel, Phone and super speed internet 11MB for the next 6 months.

I have involved BBC watchdog and compiling a complaint for OFCOM. I feel sorry for those customers in London having to wait 43 seconds between channel changes and also those in Portsmouth having to put up with constant service failiure.

Please forgive my ignorance as I did search for a more appropiate thread to place this but the search did'nt flag up a NTL complaints thread.
    Last edited by COS; 28-08-2005 at 3:05 AM.
    • hansi
    • By hansi 27th Aug 05, 6:42 AM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    hansi
    Try this site http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/home
  • shanni
    NTL speed
    Please can someone tell me how i can check what speed I am? I was expecting to be upgraded automatically but I don't think I was.

Thanks very much
    Shanni
    • bbb_uk
    • By bbb_uk 27th Aug 05, 8:49 PM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    bbb_uk
    Please can someone tell me how i can check what speed I am?
    by shanni
    Try: www.adslguide.org.uk.

Some forum members posted their results in this thread.
    Last edited by bbb_uk; 27-08-2005 at 8:53 PM. Reason: Added relevant forum link!
    SayNoTo0870.com
  • shanni
    Thanks Kev, I did it but it doesn't give you time to read it, I guess I need to complete the recording page. What connection am I if my ntl bill says 300K?

Sorry but these numbers and letters mean absolutely nothing to me.
    Shanni
  • shanni
    Well I tried again, don't worry Kev, thanks anyway but I don't understand any of it. Your better off helping someone with a brain! I'll think I'll just phone ntl and ask them if I was upgraded or not.

Cheers to you x
    Shanni
    • bbb_uk
    • By bbb_uk 27th Aug 05, 11:39 PM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    bbb_uk
    Well I tried again, don't worry Kev, thanks anyway but I don't understand any of it. Your better off helping someone with a brain! I'll think I'll just phone ntl and ask them if I was upgraded or not.
    by shanni
    Sorry been busy.

You are connected at 300k which NTL do. I believe this is an uncapped/unlimited tariff. I think you can upgrade to a higher speed but then NTL place restrictions on how much you can download a month, etc. NTL's new speed (higher than yours) is ideal for those that only view websites and download your email but for those that download as well then you are better off staying on that speed or moving to a different bb supplier (if poss).

Yes, you do need to complete the recording page but this can be done easily and anonymously by just simply:-

1. UNTICKING, "Allow my ISP to view my test results to help improve service", (below the 'Rate your ISP' section)

2. Clicking on the command button, "I live in the UK and my ISP is specified above."

You should then get your speed.
    Last edited by bbb_uk; 27-08-2005 at 11:42 PM.
    SayNoTo0870.com
    • COS
    • By COS 28th Aug 05, 6:13 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    COS
    by hansi
    Thankyou for your advice. I visited the site and to be honest I wonder if the site is run by NTL bad customer services as I have been insulted by rude vindictive nasty persons four to be precise, one saying my complaint was aload of bull another calling me names and the Mod sent me an email accusing me of spamming the site of which having placed four postings is a little rich the forth I wont even mention. I am so pleased moneysaving.com have such a wonderful team and sensible following, we are so professional
    and the reason why all are welcome here and stay dispite our sometimes agressive banter and debates we all get by and laugh about it, how'ever being a member of the www.nthellworld.co.uk for less than an hour I think they have blocked my membership for no just reason other than speaking the truth , their loss.
    Last edited by COS; 28-08-2005 at 6:18 PM.
    • hansi
    • By hansi 29th Aug 05, 7:12 AM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    hansi
    really sorry to hear that COS. In my experience, thay have been very helpful to me in the past with regard to contacting ntl about problems.
    • COS
    • By COS 30th Aug 05, 8:14 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    COS
    really sorry to hear that COS. In my experience, thay have been very helpful to me in the past with regard to contacting ntl about problems.
    by hansi
    Stuart MOD of the NTL forum http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/journal.php? has removed the offending rem arks and also putting my complaints to NTL management although as of today it will be the 5th day with out Telephone and over a week since NTL assured me my other services will be up and running correctly which they are'nt. I have started a Blog on the site listing the whole history regarding the issues - name and shame time i'm afraid of which can be found under my same user name as this site.

By the way Hansi good to hear from you as I don't participate on line as often how'ever I do pop in to see who's about discreetly of course, a big hellooo to all.
    Last edited by COS; 30-08-2005 at 10:01 PM.
  • chekka
    rung up today to see if i could improve my deal with ntl. i was on base pack (basic tv package and standard 321 phone) for 21.50 per month, and 1mb broadband at 24.99 per month!.
    after a little persuasion got 1mb broadband deal at 9.99 for 12 months and free sky sports for 12 months.
    • Altarf
    • By Altarf 30th Aug 05, 10:01 PM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Altarf
    I think I found how NTL is funding these discounts. When I spoke to them last month they agreed to 12 months free line rental and I would then pay 24.99 for phone and 2MB broadband.

On this months bill they didn't charge me for the line rental, but they charged me, not once, not twice, but three times for the broadband for the same dates! So instead of the bill going down from 36 to 25, it had gone up to 75. The wonder that is NTL's billing system.
  • Skint1
    Hi I am new To this.
    I have been with NTL 4 years. I am paying them 61.00 a month. I have Phone line ,family pack, Broadband (17.99) ,and Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, Extra. I don.t want to leave them, but would like to reduce my bill. Any ideas?
    • hansi
    • By hansi 31st Aug 05, 5:40 PM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    hansi
    Yeah, tell them you're thinking of leaving for a better deal and see what they say!
  • smcicr
    Just to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread and to those who are looking to reduce their bills - PERSEVERE!

I called NTL CS today with a view to getting some discount on my 2MB broadband (24.99), I have a phone line with them and have been a customer for around 5 years so based on what I've read here wasn't expecting too much of a fight. Wrong.

I spent an hour getting bumped from dept to dept to be finally told I could have 1MB for 9.99 despite quoting several other better offers for 2MB. Apparently there were no offers for 2MB at the moment. So I asked for the cancellations dept and was given the following number:

08000 520 243 (Option 2 - Thinking of leaving NTL?)

So I call there - get through quicker and then get transferred again (but faster this time) - I mention the deals and my time as a customer and the guy goes away for a bit then comes back to say he's reducing my broadband bill to 15pm. Nice.

Thanks again - I'm off to see what else I can get a better deal on
    • oysterman
    • By oysterman 2nd Sep 05, 10:04 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    oysterman
    Seems like a good deal fr ntl
    Got 1mb b/b + t/phone with free eve/w/end calls + family pack inc sky sports for 41.50 a month, which sounds good to me. I phoned last night & spent 1/2 hr on the phone speaking to 2 diff people who contradicted each other so was'nt happy. Phoned up this morning 08000520243 option 2 cancellations, told i was thinking of leaving because of last night, he offered this straight away no arguing. as i was paying 31.99 for b/b+t/phone i'm happy.
    if i had known then what i know now
    • COS
    • By COS 2nd Sep 05, 10:43 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    COS
    My problems are still ongoing with NTL if yours are too contact SIMON Duffy chief excec NTL, Hook, Hampshire. Also NTL will be upgrading every ones BB over the next 12 months so the standard will be 10MB this will initially start with those on 3MB. Fat lot of good that is if you can't get the basics due to poor service
  • clayts
    Result : Sky Sports free for 12 months (currently paying 13.50 per month for it), 2MB knocked down from 24.99 to 19.99 for six months, and can ring and review then. No need to change from my 321 phone tariff. Very pleased with that - all done in one hit via the customer services/thniking of leaving phone number.

Operative asked me why I wanted to leave and I said truthfully that I was ringing to see what they could entice me with - got on her good side and she went well out of her way to assist. Mentioned offer to new customers for Sky Sports - immediately agreed.

Quoted some other 2MB broadband prices (she asked if I needed it - replied yes, the cap of the 1MB service is insufficient as I run a website, and am constantly uploading more than 3 GB of stuff per month), and whilst she didn't match them (eg PlusNet 14.99) she did come up with a reduction - always worth bearing in mind that with these other operators you need a BT line anyway, which would cost another 10.50 - so still a saving, even if only a reduction of a fiver.

Net saving thus far 222, with possibility of a further reduction in March 2006. Well happy
    Last edited by clayts; 05-09-2005 at 11:09 AM.
  • gazman
    NTL - B/Band
    I have been with them NTL 2 years and paying 24.99 per month for 2 MB service. Said I was leaving and they said 19.99 for same service for 12 months (no need to call back) Seemed fair enough as I think NTL is THE best of the broadband services !!
    Waddle you do eh?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,144Posts Today

6,407Users online

Martin's Twitter