Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Disjoint
    • By Disjoint 11th Nov 19, 5:57 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Disjoint
    APS ISA - cash out and re-open with paper shares
    • 11th Nov 19, 5:57 PM
    APS ISA - cash out and re-open with paper shares 11th Nov 19 at 5:57 PM
    Hi all,

Summary of question:
    Looking for an APS ISA provider that will accept paper shares and charge either no custody fee or a very low fee, there will be virtually no trading on the account so trading cost is of no concern.

Long winded version of the question:

Mother in law passed away, father in law wants to unwind her ISA account with the current provider and gift the proceeds to his kids.

Now, he will have a substantial ISA allowance that I do not want him to lose. He has plenty of PAPER shares registered directly with companies and not via a broker. I suggested that he moves all those paper shares with a broker that will accept an APS allowance this way he will finally be able to benefit from an ISA wrapper (he never used one...)

Given the cheapest brokers generally do everything online, I wonder who would be the cheapest broker that would be able to help me with something like this? He never trades his shares and only distributes dividend income so not even re-invested.

THanks!
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Nov 19, 8:35 AM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 5,039 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 13th Nov 19, 8:35 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 8:35 AM
    APS allows your father to make a higher ISA contribution than his normal 20k allowance per tax year. However all ISA contributions need to be in cash unless they are held in an employee savings (SAYE) or incentive (SIP) scheme. As such he may need to sell and rebuy the shares, which may require capital gains tax planning, to get them into an ISA wrapper.
    • Disjoint
    • By Disjoint 13th Nov 19, 12:00 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Disjoint
    • 13th Nov 19, 12:00 PM
    • 13th Nov 19, 12:00 PM
    APS allows your father to make a higher ISA contribution than his normal 20k allowance per tax year. However all ISA contributions need to be in cash unless they are held in an employee savings (SAYE) or incentive (SIP) scheme. As such he may need to sell and rebuy the shares, which may require capital gains tax planning, to get them into an ISA wrapper.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Thank you. I feel like an absolute fool not having thought about the tax implication of doing something like this... The capital gains implication will be far too large to benefit from the ISA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,051Posts Today

7,723Users online

Martin's Twitter