Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eternal1
    • By Eternal1 19th Sep 19, 3:36 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Eternal1
    Induction at Sainbury's questions
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:36 PM
    Induction at Sainbury's questions 19th Sep 19 at 3:36 PM
    I got a job offer from Sainbury's and have my induction soon, the job says it's conditional on my references being satisfactory so on the induction day should I take my references printed out on a piece of paper to my induction? Or is this done another day by email or something?
Page 1
    • ndf9876
    • By ndf9876 19th Sep 19, 3:41 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    ndf9876
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:41 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:41 PM
    I got a job offer from Sainbury's and have my induction soon, the job says it's conditional on my references being satisfactory so on the induction day should I take my references printed out on a piece of paper to my induction? Or is this done another day by email or something?
    Originally posted by Eternal1
    I can't speak to how this company operates as an employer, but typically this is all handled by your new employer's HR department and is not something you need to get involved in.

Congratulations on the new position
    • Eternal1
    • By Eternal1 19th Sep 19, 3:46 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Eternal1
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:46 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:46 PM
    I can't speak to how this company operates as an employer, but typically this is all handled by your new employer's HR department and is not something you need to get involved in.

Congratulations on the new position
    Originally posted by ndf9876
    Thanks!

At no point during my application process have I been asked for a CV or references though, up until the job offer email I got. So they don't even have my references to verify them.
    • ndf9876
    • By ndf9876 19th Sep 19, 4:04 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    ndf9876
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:04 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:04 PM
    Thanks!

At no point during my application process have I been asked for a CV or references though, up until the job offer email I got. So they don't even have my references to verify them.
    I'm going to assume you completed an application form of some sort - no referees requested on there? Did you list any previous employers?
    • Eternal1
    • By Eternal1 19th Sep 19, 4:12 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Eternal1
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:12 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:12 PM
    I'm going to assume you completed an application form of some sort - no referees requested on there? Did you list any previous employers?
    Nope, I told the interviewer my work history but the application process doesn't include any mention of work history.
    • ndf9876
    • By ndf9876 19th Sep 19, 4:30 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    ndf9876
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:30 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:30 PM
    Nope, I told the interviewer my work history but the application process doesn't include any mention of work history.
    In which case, I would expect that unless you've been told specifically to bring references with you or obtain them yourself, this will be handled by them in due course. I definitely wouldn't worry about it - and I certainly wouldn't be concerning myself with having to provide it on Day 1 of your employment

If you are worried about it - maybe you could contact the person who recruited you and just ask what the expectation is?
    • Eternal1
    • By Eternal1 19th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Eternal1
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    In which case, I would expect that unless you've been told specifically to bring references with you or obtain them yourself, this will be handled by them in due course. I definitely wouldn't worry about it - and I certainly wouldn't be concerning myself with having to provide it on Day 1 of your employment

If you are worried about it - maybe you could contact the person who recruited you and just ask what the expectation is?
    Yeah I'm probably over thinking it, just don't want to appear as a pillock on my first day by not bringing something I should.

The whole process is done by computer now... I got selected by a computer, called to an interview by a computer, sent a job offer by a computer lol. The only human interaction I've had during the entire process was one 15 minute interview.

I'm sure it will be fine
    • DaveBullock_
    • By DaveBullock_ 19th Sep 19, 4:52 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    DaveBullock_
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:52 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:52 PM
    Normally it is all handled by HR and I should imagine you will be fine without bringing them to the induction.

You will be fine, don't worry
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 19th Sep 19, 5:05 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:05 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:05 PM
    I thought the application form online asked you for your reference details ?
    • Eternal1
    • By Eternal1 19th Sep 19, 5:26 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Eternal1
    Also one other question, I think I was supposed to receive another email after I esigned my contract called "onboarding tasks"? I've not received that email yet, I'll wait until tomorrow and then ring them if I've still not got it, does it take a while to come through?
    • Ridgerunner
    • By Ridgerunner 19th Sep 19, 5:33 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Ridgerunner
    I worked for Sainsbury's for a while fairly recently; the on boarding email comes just before the induction from what I recall. The email for the induction tells you what to bring e.g., passport or other ID documents. Reference details are given during your application and HR will take those up (mine never were). No need to bring reference details to the induction.
    • Eternal1
    • By Eternal1 19th Sep 19, 5:37 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Eternal1
    I worked for Sainsbury's for a while fairly recently; the on boarding email comes just before the induction from what I recall. The email for the induction tells you what to bring e.g., passport or other ID documents. Reference details are given during your application and HR will take those up (mine never were). No need to bring reference details to the induction.
    Originally posted by Ridgerunner
    Thanks, from the job acceptance email I got it linked to me a website to eSign the contract and there's a section there which says "once you've signed your contract, we'll give you a number of onboarding tasks, it's important that these are completed on the same day that you sign your contract".

So I've signed the contract but no onboarding tasks email has arrived but I guess it just comes later. I honestly don't remember giving over my references but I guess I must have done at some point.

By the way how do you know they never checked your references?
    • Ridgerunner
    • By Ridgerunner 19th Sep 19, 6:54 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Ridgerunner

By the way how do you know they never checked your references?
    Because my referees told me that they hadn't received a request.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 20th Sep 19, 12:57 AM
    • 3,885 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Because my referees told me that they hadn't received a request.
    Originally posted by Ridgerunner
    Yet in 2016 as I called to cancel my Sainsbo part time offer - I remember the HR uttered something about Interlink Express not responding which meant they would pull the offer.

Albeit the very next day in a no one knows what they are doing mode, when would have been induction, Sainsbo the actual local store actually called to find out where I was...

I've also been in the situation in the past where references claim not to have been contacted but honestly two weeks ago opened mail where someone's hard written application form detailing references request replies was proven. (Although following buy out with that particular company in recent months though I also worked with in 2016) I think the request for a reference is still sitting in the tray I put it.
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,829Posts Today

9,406Users online

Martin's Twitter