Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • laserbeam
    • By laserbeam 7th Aug 19, 4:02 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    laserbeam
    E Scooters
    • 7th Aug 19, 4:02 PM
    E Scooters 7th Aug 19 at 4:02 PM
    I have just been up the town for some shopping and whilst walking around saw two young lads aged no more than 16 I would say riding these E scooters on the main road and going into the bus lane and wearing no protective clothing.Certainly no tax,no insurance and of course no licence.What would happen if they caused a serious accident ie knocked someone over or damaged a car who pays for the cost.These things are illegal to ride on roads and pavements but nothing is done and wont be untill something serious is done about it. .Love to hear what others think..
Page 1
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 8th Aug 19, 7:41 AM
    • 3,264 Posts
    • 1,455 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 8th Aug 19, 7:41 AM
    • 8th Aug 19, 7:41 AM
    Who would pay? In theory under the age of 18 you would sue the parents. In reality you better have insurance that covers it or you'll be paying for it yourself.

My opinion on EScooters? Ban them completely.
    I have an Ebike that has lots of restrictions appropriate to the vehicle. EScooters would also need appropriate restrictions. To be legal on the pavement they would need to be restricted to 4 mph. This is the same speed that invalid carriages on a pavement and my Ebikes walker mode is restricted to, so it's a known quantity. An Escooter restricted to 4 mph is no fun and certainly would get few takers when costing 100's of pounds.
    If allowed on the road the restriction could be anywhere between 8 mph and 15.5 mph. The lower end of that range and they would be downright dangerous. The slower a bicycle travels the more likely they are to get hit by a motor vehicle (women ride slower than men which is why a disproportionate number of cycling accidents involve women). At the upper end of that range the short wheel base and high centre of gravity are the problem. Slam the brakes on at 15.5 mph and you plant your face into the road.
    The simple fact is that EScooters are an oddity in the transport infrastructure that aren't suited to any area of use.
    Ban them.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • pooch
    • By pooch 8th Aug 19, 12:55 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    pooch
    • 8th Aug 19, 12:55 PM
    • 8th Aug 19, 12:55 PM
    I have just been up the town for some shopping and whilst walking around saw two young lads aged no more than 16 I would say riding these E scooters on the main road and going into the bus lane and wearing no protective clothing.Certainly no tax,no insurance and of course no licence.What would happen if they caused a serious accident ie knocked someone over or damaged a car who pays for the cost.These things are illegal to ride on roads and pavements but nothing is done and wont be untill something serious is done about it. .Love to hear what others think..
    Originally posted by laserbeam
    Nothing being done?
    By whom?

For example, have you provided police with sufficient evidence of an offence being commited including the identification of those involved?

Just a couple of weeks ago, police in London stopped 100 illegal e-scooter riders, 10 of which ended up being fined and having their scooters confiscated
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/nearly-100-electric-scooters-users-stopped-london/

If your local police force are not taking the action you would wish, especially if you have provided the evidence required to support a successful prosecution, then complain to your Chief Constable or Commissioner.
    • laserbeam
    • By laserbeam 8th Aug 19, 3:13 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    laserbeam
    • 8th Aug 19, 3:13 PM
    • 8th Aug 19, 3:13 PM
    What evidence could I give there was no way I was going to run after them and there are never any police around permanent and they were gone in a flash.Not sure if there are any CC Cameras in the vicinity.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 9th Aug 19, 10:57 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 1,549 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 9th Aug 19, 10:57 AM
    • 9th Aug 19, 10:57 AM
    but nothing is done and wont be untill something serious is done about it.
    Originally posted by laserbeam
    Nothing is done until something is done about it???

No sh... sherlock!
    • jbuchanangb
    • By jbuchanangb 17th Aug 19, 12:33 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    jbuchanangb
    • 17th Aug 19, 12:33 PM
    • 17th Aug 19, 12:33 PM
    The simple fact is that EScooters are an oddity in the transport infrastructure that aren't suited to any area of use.
    Ban them.
    They are banned, I.e. illegal to use on public highways. They can be used on private property.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 24th Aug 19, 6:26 PM
    • 5,360 Posts
    • 52,213 Thanks
    Barny1979
    • 24th Aug 19, 6:26 PM
    • 24th Aug 19, 6:26 PM
    Visited Paris last month, they're all over the !!!!ing place as you can hire the !!!!ing things, ridden by clueless idiots
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 263 AFDs up to end of November
    MFW Challenge 2019 - 1809/1809
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

522Posts Today

4,267Users online

Martin's Twitter