Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • meat_n2_reg
    • By meat_n2_reg 3rd Aug 19, 11:02 AM
    • 137Posts
    • 99Thanks
    meat_n2_reg
    Help with hearing aids
    • 3rd Aug 19, 11:02 AM
    Help with hearing aids 3rd Aug 19 at 11:02 AM
    Hello

I'm currently aged 49 so almost 50 and have struggled with hearing loss for a number of years which I have lived with

Ive had enough and want to get some hearing aids sorted

Hopefully NHS ones as have low income and will struggle to pay

Do I need to see Doctor to refer me for hearing test or can I go to spec savers and still get NHS hearing aids?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 3rd Aug 19, 11:06 AM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 3,401 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 3rd Aug 19, 11:06 AM
    • 3rd Aug 19, 11:06 AM
    Doctor first.

Specsavers were agents for the local NHS Trust when my MIL needed them but I don't know if that is the case elsewhere in the country. Excellent Service and Specsavers was far more convenient than the hospital.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Mrsn
    • By Mrsn 3rd Aug 19, 11:13 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Mrsn
    • 3rd Aug 19, 11:13 AM
    • 3rd Aug 19, 11:13 AM
    I had one of the free hearing checks at boots who advised me I needed to see my DR due to the results.

I was referred to the ENT department at my local hospital in the July and had my hearing aids by the October. Didn’t have to pay for them and the replacement batteries are also free of charge (you will get through this quiet quickly!)

I was 33 when I got mine and I didn’t realise how bad my hearing was without them. Good luck!
  • archived user
    • 3rd Aug 19, 11:44 AM
    • 3rd Aug 19, 11:44 AM
    you go and see your gp he or she will refer you for tests which might be with specsavers or might be at a hospital
    • Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Aug 19, 3:32 PM
    • 7,835 Posts
    • 15,889 Thanks
    Farway
    • 3rd Aug 19, 3:32 PM
    • 3rd Aug 19, 3:32 PM
    OP, are you ex services? if so try here

https://www.veteranshearingsupport.co.uk/veterans-hearing-fund-application-process/
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 3rd Aug 19, 4:17 PM
    • 4,309 Posts
    • 5,764 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 3rd Aug 19, 4:17 PM
    • 3rd Aug 19, 4:17 PM
    They are not quick. I've been waiting over 3 months now since they had my service medical records and haven't heard anything back yet about an initial hearing test through them.

Talking to others in my AFVBC who applied through them, 6-9 months is standard before anything starts happening.
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 3rd Aug 19, 6:28 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    • 3rd Aug 19, 6:28 PM
    • 3rd Aug 19, 6:28 PM
    My husband is as deaf as a post in his right ear and has restricted hearing in his left. He went to his doctor, who referred him to Action for Deafness who do work with the NHS.

Long story short, they were excellent, gave him a hearing test and fixed him up with super hearing aids (he didn't get on with the first lot they gave him, so they tried another pair and those work really well.) The biggest problem is actually getting him to use them!!

I had ear wax in my ears, which was really awful, but I went to the above company who sorted the problem easily; it cost me 70, but it was well worth it!!
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Aug 19, 11:48 AM
    • 16,962 Posts
    • 145,254 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 4th Aug 19, 11:48 AM
    • 4th Aug 19, 11:48 AM
    I was referred by my Dr to our local audio clinic at my local hospital and iyt was fairly quick about three weeks. I now have one in each ear, and they are fine, and the batteries are free as well I came out of the hospital marvelling that I could hear birds singing It was great

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 4th Aug 19, 6:09 PM
    • 27,147 Posts
    • 71,287 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 4th Aug 19, 6:09 PM
    • 4th Aug 19, 6:09 PM
    My hearing aid is driving me mad. It makes everyone other than the person I want to hear too loud, but does nothing for clarity.

It's only useful in two places - my tai chi class and our monthly quiz. Both are places where one person at a time is speaking. However, I can't hear a teammate whisper a suggestion for an answer.

I have an appointment at audiology tomorrow so I'm hoping for some help.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 4th Aug 19, 6:13 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    Hospital referral through your doctor will get much better results than Specsavers, more thorough service (although it may take longer) and better hearing aids too.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 4th Aug 19, 9:25 PM
    • 40,276 Posts
    • 37,719 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Hospital referral through your doctor will get much better results than Specsavers, more thorough service (although it may take longer) and better hearing aids too.
    Originally posted by greatgimpo
    Although bear in mind that in some parts of the country, the NHS has contracted Specsavers to provide the NHS service ... and it seems to work well for those I have known in those areas. In other words, don't assume that if you're referred to Specsavers, you'll get a worse service than at an NHS appointment.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,413Posts Today

5,350Users online

Martin's Twitter