Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 28th Oct 08, 8:33 PM
    • 863Posts
    • 1,060Thanks
    Thanatos
    DLA / AA Decision Maker - CLOSED - REFERENCE ONLY
    • 28th Oct 08, 8:33 PM
    DLA / AA Decision Maker - CLOSED - REFERENCE ONLY 28th Oct 08 at 8:33 PM
    Hi,

I am a Disability Living Allowance (DLA) & Attendance Allowancence (AA) Decision Maker based in Warbreck House in Blackpool.

If I can help out with any queries about the rules and regulations of DLA/AA please feel free to Message me or post your queries in this thread and i will answer what I can. All advise I give is my own personal opinion based on my knowledge of the benefit and obviously not official government guidance.

I have compiled some tips of what I would suggest based on my own method of dealing with claims and that of the people I work with.

I see many tips from people suggesting you put the details down for your worst day. This is my number one No-No! We have a very in depth detailled computer system called CCM (Customer Case Management) that tells us what needs should arise from the stated conditions.
    For example, someone with mild Arthritis is bound to have the odd bad day where they are in considerable pain and struggle with stairs, getting in and out of chairs etc etc. However, we know that under normal circumstances mild Arthritis does not cause that level of problem most of the time. All DLA and AA awards are based on your needs most of the time and not your worst days only. By putting your worst days on the forms for lesser conditions all you are doing is making the Decision Maker suspicious of your claim.
    It is not our job to "police" the benefit system, but if we see a claim that does not add up, it will fall under close scrutinisation from our in-house Doctors (who we use for advise) as well as GP Factual Reports (GPFR), Hospital Factual Reports , Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists etc etc etc the list is endless. The bottom line is to tell it exactly how it is, if you have 2 bad days a week on average, 3 average days and 2 good days, say so in the form. Honesty is the best policy in this case!

I would also advise you send in any medical evidence you have with your claim (photocopy everything too!) as this can speed your claim up by weeks. Certain cases (those with Higher rate mobility Component and Middle or higher Care component) must undergo what we call "Initial Scrutiny" e.g we have no choice but to go for medical evidence under management instruction. This takes at least 2 weeks for a GP, or considerably longer for hospitals. We do not get charged for Hospital reports so are encouraged to try hospitals before GP's. A simple letter from the hospital can make a massive difference to the speed of your claim. Obvioulsy these are not the only cases we go for medical evidence, some times we simply require confirmation a condition has got worse (or better) or things do not add up etc so always include any evidence you have.

If you are claiming for a child 9/10 times we will go to the school for confirmation of needs first so a letter from them, or even the back section of the form filled in by them is beneficial.

I have some guidance at work that I will grab tomorrow and post in this opening thread of exactly what qualifies for what in terms of needs.

If anyone wants to ask about official rules etc, feel free to ask and i can post that information as it is all freely available in the legislation anyway (just simplified for lay people rather than the lawyers that wrote it! )

I thought this general guide to what qualifies you for what level of the benefit might help:

MOBILITY COMPONENT:

HIGHER RATE QUALIFICATION (AGED 3+):

MUST BE:

VIRTUALLY UNABLE OR UNABLE TO WALK
    OR
    BOTH BLIND AND DEAF
    OR
    DOUBLE AMPUTEE
    OR
    HAVE A SEVERE MENTAL IMPAIRMENT

LOWER RATE QUALIFICATION (AGED 5+):

MUST BE ABLE TO WALK BUT IS SO SEVERELY DISABLED PHYSICALLY OR MENTALLY,
    THAT THEY CAN NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FACULTY OF OUTDOORS WITHOUT:

GUIDANCE
    OR
    SUPERVISION
    MOST OF THE TIME WHEN WALKING IN UNFAMILIAR SURROUNDINGS

IN LOWER RATE CASES OF CHILDREN AGED 5-16

CHILD MUST SATISFY THE NORMAL CRITERIA PLUS SUBSTANTIALLY MORE SUPERVISION THAN A PERSON THEIR AGE WOULD NORMALLY REQUIRE
    OR
    SUPERVISION THAT A PERSON YOUNGER THAN THEM IN NORMAL PHYSICAL HEALTH WOULD NEED, BUT A PERSON THEIR AGE IN NORMAL PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH WOULD NOT REQUIRE.

CARE COMPONENT:

DAY QUALIFICATION (MIDDLE RATE CARE):

FREQUENT ATTENTION FROM IN CONNECTION WITH BODILY FUNCTIONS
    OR
    CONTINUAL SUPERVISION TO PREVENT SUBSTANTIAL DANGER TO THEMSELVES OR OTHERS

NIGHT QUALIFICATION (MIDDLE RATE CARE):

PROLONGED OR REPEATED ATTENTION IN CONNECTION WITH BODILY FUNCTIONS
    OR
    ANOTHER PERSON TO BE AWAKE FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OR AT FREQUENT INTERVALS TO WATCH OVER THEM TO AVOID SUBSTANTIAL DANGER TO THEM OR OTHERS

IF BOTH DAY AND NIGHT NEEDS ABOVE ARE PRESENT, THEN AWARD IS HIGHER RATE CARE

[COLOR=red]LOWEST RATE DLA

ATTENTION WITH THEIR BODILY FUNCTIONS FOR A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF THE DAY
    OR
    MAIN MEAL TEST

KEY:

FREQUENT: SEVERAL TIMES, NOT ONCE OR TWICE
    PROLONGED: 20 MINUTES (APPROX.)
    REPEATED: MORE THAN ONCE
    SIGNIFICANT PORTION: LENGTH OF TIME ABOUT 1 HR
    CONTINUAL: ALL OF THE TIME (SUBJECT TO BRIEF INTERRUPTIONS)

IN ALL CASES OF CHILDREN AGED 0-16

CHILD MUST SATISFY THE NORMAL CRITERIA PLUS SUBSTANTIALLY MORE CARE THAN A PERSON THEIR AGE WOULD NORMALLY REQUIRE
    OR
    CARE THAT A PERSON YOUNGER THAN THEM IN NORMAL PHYSICAL HEALTH WOULD NEED, BUT A PERSON THEIR AGE IN NORMAL PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH WOULD NOT REQUIRE.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 19-12-2008 at 4:11 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Page 17
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 19th Dec 08, 4:10 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    You can edit your first post by clicking on Edit, then Go advanced.
    You can then edit the title as you want to.
    Originally posted by Jazzy_B
    Ah, not what I had in mind, but it will do the job, so thanks!!
    • davsidipp
    • By davsidipp 19th Dec 08, 6:03 PM
    • 10,996 Posts
    • 33,099 Thanks
    davsidipp
    he answered the first question.but like all dwp he is told to ignore the last one asked.
  • Gemmzie
    I'll let a mod know if you want Thantos, get it locked
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 19th Dec 08, 9:02 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    he answered the first question.but like all dwp he is told to ignore the last one asked.
    Originally posted by davsidipp

As you know Thanatos is no longer posting, for personal reasons. When he was posting, he gave up his time freely to help people. He replied to your question, you weren't happy with the answer, and that's fine. But there is little point in attempting to have an argument with someone who is no longer posting. If you wish to pursue your question you may get a better response if you start a separate thread.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • mandy_moo_1
    "i tried reporting her for fraud, but when i rang up, i was told that now she has a long claim in place, it won't be looked at again"

Did you ring the Benefit Fraud hotline which is 0800 854440
    Originally posted by BrianD
    when i initially tried to report her i rang the disability line.....it was THEM that said they wouldn't look at her claim again, and yes, i've since rung the DSS fraud hotline

• soolin
    • By soolin 20th Dec 08, 5:58 PM
    • 62,930 Posts
    • 45,304 Thanks
    soolin
    AS requested I will close this thread now.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,436Posts Today

6,989Users online

Martin's Twitter