Comments

• Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So to clarify, she went:

Year 1 Falmouth
    Year 2 (2months) Falmouth
    Year 1 (Westminster)

Did she start the year 1 at Westminster in the same academic year (Sep - Aug) as the one she done her two months at Falmouth in, or did she start Westminster the following September?
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Skembear wrote: »
    Hi
    She was studying fine arts degree, did her first year and transfered to Falmouth so she did 1 full year and 2 months of year 2.
    she is currently doing illustration degree at Harrow Westminster

I think the SLC will probably see it as your daughter having already recieved funding for two years of H.E. and therefore she is only entitled to another two. The calculation is length of the course + 1 so for a standard three year degree, this works out at 4 years of funding, of which she's had 2.
    She may be able to get another year's funding if she can prove she left her previous degree due to extenuating circumstances.
  • Can anyone advise on my post above - "Help with Childcare Grant and Parent's Learning Allowance - what income is counted?"

I would realy appreciate any input! :)
  • Taiko
    Much as I'd like to help, I can't on that. Wales have their own rules, of which I'm not fully aware. Therefore, rather than give incorrect advice, I'd rather say nothing.
  • Thanks Taiko, is there any chance you could tell me what the rules are for England anyway? Just for reference as I know they don't apply in Wales. Just curious to see if they do things any different.
  • Due to living abroad I have been having some problems with receiving correspondence from SLC i.e. deferment letters etc.
    To cut a story short it turns out that I owe £28.57 on one account and a £158.64 for another two accounts, plus a £10 charge for their time and effort. A total of £197.21.

They have told me that I can pay the first charge off in one go while the remaining £158.64 (she didn't mention the £10 being included) can be paid off over nine months.

Since I'm unemployed and every scrap matters are there some magical words of wisdom I can give them that will allow me to have this sum added to my debts, deferred, set at a £1 a month etc etc.

Cheers,
    Tom.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Tommygunn wrote: »
    Due to living abroad I have been having some problems with receiving correspondence from SLC i.e. deferment letters etc.
    To cut a story short it turns out that I owe £28.57 on one account and a £158.64 for another two accounts, plus a £10 charge for their time and effort. A total of £197.21.

They have told me that I can pay the first charge off in one go while the remaining £158.64 (she didn't mention the £10 being included) can be paid off over nine months.

Since I'm unemployed and every scrap matters are there some magical words of wisdom I can give them that will allow me to have this sum added to my debts, deferred, set at a £1 a month etc etc.

Cheers,
    Tom.

In my experience there isn't. Once you run up charges and arrears these have to be paid like any normal loan. Letting you spread them over 9 months doesn't seem unreasonable as it's less than a fiver a week.
  • VBB
    VBB Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 23 December 2010 at 8:34PM
    Pls can anyone give advice on appealling my student finance application 10/11. To enable you have a good jugement/assessment of my situation I will briefly give some details about myself.

1. I am from non EEA country, been working full time to date while attending university. Within the period was issued 5yrs residence as an EEA FAMILY MEMBER.
    2. Applied for university funding for 08/09 student finance and was granted (1st year).
    3.applied for 09/10 (2nd year) funding and was rejected as ineligilble for disclosing change in ciricumstances (divorce) and also told i was not settled.
    4. My application was returned ineligible reasons being that i have been granted settled status after 1st year of my course and as a result do not satisfy the residency criteria for student finance England.

I am confused as to the criteria used to asess my application because i was granted 5years EEA family residency permit 2003 and my application for funding was granted for 1st year and still in fuull time employment to date. Not sure where the residency thing falls. I will be glad for any advice.

many thanks
  • Elsewhere on this site I have read that the income assessed bit of the loan decreases for income over £50,778 until income of £57,708. Daughter just started Uni and only got basic amount of £3,564 and parental income is in the range above. Student loan people have told me on phone today that for income over £50,020 no further maintenance loan is available. Where can I find correct rules as calculator on student loan website says should get more than the basic amount. Any help appreciated. Thanks
  • Taiko
    The advisor is wrong.

If you make a complaint to [EMAIL="customer_complaints@slc.co.uk"]customer_complaints@slc.co.uk[/EMAIL], detailing the time you called, the number you called from and the number you dialled. Anyone who accessed the account is timelogged with their name, so it should be dealt with.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback