Help with handset and deal dilemma - moving from a Blackberry

Options
veryintrigued
veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 11 May 2018 at 6:18PM in Mobiles
Hello and thanks in advance for reading

I've got an old BlackBerry Curve which has been great but it's lack of App functionality means I need to upgrade!

I only pay less than £6 a month on an Orange Panther plan with 100mins talktime and unlimited texts. Am not sure what the data limit is - or even how to check this as Orange accounts aren't accessible and you can only get an much info by SMSing 150/450.

Ideally I'd keep the SIM and just move to a newer unlocked phone.

Does anyone see any issues with moving from a BlackBerry to non BB in terms of Orange / EE? Moving the SIM away from BlackBerry Internet Service.

I've already moved all my contacts to my SIM already.

And if that was viable what would others recommend as a reasonable handset and supplier that will last me a few years? I'd be looking at less than £100 else a contract would seem cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    You might require a micro sim depending upon new phone .
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about the Motorola Moto E4, it can be picked up for just over £100 (around £120).
    Also, I would recommend you trying to see how much data you have on your current plan because nowadays nearly all phones are 4G, and that will consume data a lot quicker.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    You might require a micro sim depending upon new phone .

Absolutely right - have found this - looks as though I might have to bite the bullet and get a new phone and contract.

B@gger.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Absolutely right - have found this - looks as though I might have to bite the bullet and get a new phone and contract.

B@gger.

In most cases it is better value and a shorter minimum term to go SIM only. Buy a phone (SIM free) elsewhere.

Regarding the Blackberry SIM, obtain a PAC from your current provider and give it to your new SIM provider. The phone number is the relevant part, ignore the obsolete Blackberry part.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your current Orange plan will include the BB data addon (I can't remember what it was called). But this only works with data through the BB servers, you can't use it with any other type of handset.

Not sure with Orange not being live any longer if you'd be able to swap the BB data to standard data as they're trying to close all the old Orange plans down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure