PPI Claim from DFS

Hi all,

Around 3 months ago I noticed on an old DFS statement that I was paying for PPI across a product I had. At the time of taking out the loan to pay for the product I was never told I would pay for PPI. Therefore I decided to use the online service resolver to try and claim from DFS.

Fast forward 2 months, and DFS still hadn't replied, therefore I escalated the case to the financial ombudsman service. They prompted DFS to send a letter of which today it arrived. DFS stated that they had extensive training programmes in place to ensure that a customer had the choice to pay for PPI or not. However it would seem that this must be false in order for me not to know that I was paying for PPI.

DFS have requested that in order for them to look into the claim further, I must provide them with a finance agreement and a demands and needs statement, but I do not have this.

Therefore my questions to the MSE community are:

What should I reply with ?
Has anyone successfully claimed off of DFS before ?
Is it likely that without the documents they have asked for I am able to receive a successful claim ?

Hope anyone can help.
Thanks
Christine

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You have a staement, send them a copy of it.
    When was this sold to you?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • I will do.
    It was sold to me in 2009
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Used to work for DFS and the script goes - "all the figures I am about to quote you are interest free but they do include an element of payment protection insurance, now can you afford X amount a Month?"
  • That may be true in your instance, however I have no recollection of anyone saying that to me. There was no mention of PPI
  • Memories fade, it's now 8 years later.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Its not a claim, it is a complaint of miss selling but you have to have some proof to back up this complaint.

If they have no papers and you havent any proof it looks like its going no where
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all,

Around 3 months ago I noticed on an old DFS statement that I was paying for PPI across a product I had. At the time of taking out the loan to pay for the product I was never told I would pay for PPI. Therefore I decided to use the online service resolver to try and claim from DFS.

Fast forward 2 months, and DFS still hadn't replied, therefore I escalated the case to the financial ombudsman service. They prompted DFS to send a letter of which today it arrived. DFS stated that they had extensive training programmes in place to ensure that a customer had the choice to pay for PPI or not. However it would seem that this must be false in order for me not to know that I was paying for PPI.

DFS have requested that in order for them to look into the claim further, I must provide them with a finance agreement and a demands and needs statement, but I do not have this.

Therefore my questions to the MSE community are:

What should I reply with ?
    Has anyone successfully claimed off of DFS before ?
    Is it likely that without the documents they have asked for I am able to receive a successful claim ?

Hope anyone can help.
    Thanks
    Christine

If they statement clearly shows you were paying PPI then you should have read it at the time then you would have known you were paying PPI!. To say you dodnt know you had it and then produce a statement from the time showing you were paying it just makes you look silly.
  • I noticed on an old DFS statement that I was paying for PPI across a product I had. At the time of taking out the loan to pay for the product I was never told I would pay for PPI.
    Your allegation of wrong doing seems to be self defeating. All you appear to be complaining about is that you didn't read your statements (for eight years!) and have forgotten signing the paperwork agreeing to the PPI in 2009.

Your complaint is one of the weakest you can make because you can provide no evidence that you were not told of the PPI.

The only evidence you do have indicates that you would indeed have been reminded about the PPI every month for each of the years you paid it!

So I can't see you progressing very far with this one...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you paid a single upfront premium for the insurance, then go ahead with your complaint Send your statement copy because it's proof you paid it and the acount number will be on there
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ...There was no mention of PPI

But it was on your statements, you said so yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure