Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• Frugal_Fox
    Frugal_Fox Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I charge a minimum of £10, because I offer a collection and delivery service. I collect one day and return the next. I used to include hangers -but it got too costly, so my policy is include hangers if you want the garment returned hung, else it's folded. My customers like this - some travel on business and the fact that their shirts are fully ironed and folded and ready for the case is a real bonus! Garment covers are a must - protects in wet and windy weather!
    "A simple life freely chosen is a source of strength. Do not be pursuaded into buying what you do not need or cannot afford." Quaker Faith & Practice 1.02.41
  • bbaby_2
    bbaby_2 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

Im starting up an ironing service in my area.
    Can someone give me some advise?

my add will be in this weeks local paper and I will be dropping leaflets through doors by the end of the week.

I want to do everything legit, I am just confused as to what exactly I need to do in reagards to registering as a business, tax, inland revenue ect...

Should I be registering now or once I have some customers?

Also,, with registering, would I be entitled to claiming back expenses such as the cost of equiptment ect?

Any advise would be most appreciated.

All the best
    bbaby
  • Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Options
    Hi bbaby,

I wrote loads of stuff on the mystery shopping thread on this board (it's a sticky) about tax etc - if you check out the first post there's a little bit on taxes and registering....

Yes you could claim back expenses on equipment as the cost will be relatively low (if you're spending more than £200ish on an item then PM me for more advice as there's a different way to account for it)

Register ASAP - there's no cost in doing so apart from £2.10 per week class 2 NI (mentioned on the MSing thread)

HTH :D
  • bbaby_2
    Options
    Timmne wrote: »
    Hi bbaby,

I wrote loads of stuff on the mystery shopping thread on this board (it's a sticky) about tax etc - if you check out the first post there's a little bit on taxes and registering....

Yes you could claim back expenses on equipment as the cost will be relatively low (if you're spending more than £200ish on an item then PM me for more advice as there's a different way to account for it)

Register ASAP - there's no cost in doing so apart from £2.10 per week class 2 NI (mentioned on the MSing thread)

HTH :D

Hi Timmne,

Many thanks, I will check out the thread you mentioned.:cheesy:
  • becks.989
    Options
    Hi all.

I have been thinking about setting up a ironing service for a while. but keep putting it off. i don't know what i am afraid of. (i think its the self employed tax and ni etc)

I have bitten the bullet know and have decided to give it a go. what will i really be losing out on. does anyone have any advice for me on starting out. any comments will be gratfully recieved.

Thanks becks.
    A child smiles 500 times a day, compared to an adult over 25 smiling 15 times a day.
    :D:D:D:D
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Options
    Hi well i ahve tried this in the past but only put 2 ads round for about a week and forgot to renew them! I have just done up some ads and as we have recently moved to a new development i will try and get some put round tommorow which will eliviate the driving when picking up and dropping off a bit hopefully!
    I am just a bit worried as already have 2 jobs and am registered as self employed with the tax ppl what happens with 3 jobs?! Also has anyone had anyone come back saying that there is something wrong with something and how do you deal with it?
    Thanks
  • bbaby_2
    Options
    Hi all,

Hope your all in good health and spirits :j

Just wanted to ask if any one could tell me where is the best place to buy my supplies of hangers and polythene garment covers ??

and also, which hangers are the most popular and which length polythene garment covers do you all use ?(if you use them)

Much appreciated,
  • elen_2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Well we went ahead and started up - ads in local paper and just about to do a leaflet drop around a few of the new housing developments. I have a couple of local B+Bs, a regular customer who I collect and deliver from once a week and a few others that use me on an ad hock basis. I have also had the only other service in the area sniffing around - but thats ok because I checked them out too!

So far I have been getting customers to supply their own hangers, which has worked well but I am getting a supply of hangers in just in case. Havent registered with IR yet but we will do shortly - just wanted to see how it went really. I do an annual self-assessment already so can just include income on that.

Only had one bad experience so far - a load of really really smelly washing - it made my house stink and I had to ask the customer if I could deliver it back earlier than planned - I didnt say the real reason !!
  • POSSETTE
    POSSETTE Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Options
    If i started up an ironing service how much do you charge?
    is it per hour or per item?
    I can imagine shirts etc being a pain but just wondering about the in,s and outs.
    Would obviously have to be aware of delicates and not ruin peoples clothes,but what other drawbacks are there?:confused:
    TO FINISH LAST, FIRST YOU HAVE TO FINISH....
  • tassles
    tassles Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I have a small ironing service and I charge £9 per hour or part thereof, by charging for a full hour even if only 45 was used this covers the cost of collection and delivery back, hope this helps Tassles:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure